Stuck on a workout routine

Rodel

Awards
So now I feel like the same workouts I've been doing for a couple of months haven't really been going crap.. I think my muscles are used to it, I need an effective workout routine, plus I'm always in freakin pain :/

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
what have you been doing exactly?

what is your diet like, for example what exactly did you eat yesterday?

what are your goals?

how many days a week can you dedicate to exercise?

Rodel

Awards
what have you been doing exactly?

what is your diet like, for example what exactly did you eat yesterday?

what are your goals?

how many days a week can you dedicate to exercise?
6 times a week, I mix push ups, pull ups, sit ups and weights everyday with cardio. For the past 4 days I haven't really worked out plus I've been pigging out. But I usually try eating healthy. And I'm trying to get super fit before I join the military and train to become a PJ

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So now I feel like the same workouts I've been doing for a couple of months haven't really been going crap.. I think my muscles are used to it, I need an effective workout routine, plus I'm always in freakin pain :/
What kind of pain are you talking about?

And yes your body/muscles are going to adapt to whatever you are doing if you don't mix it up.

Add in some drop sets, super sets, giant sets, etc. Another reason maybe your muscles are not responding is because of your control/technique. A lot of people don't realize that even a small change in how you lift the weight can make that big of a difference.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
6 times a week, I mix push ups, pull ups, sit ups and weights everyday with cardio. For the past 4 days I haven't really worked out plus I've been pigging out. But I usually try eating healthy. And I'm trying to get super fit before I join the military and train to become a PJ
you ever hear of a gym? body weight exercises can only do so much

Rodel

Awards
What kind of pain are you talking about?

And yes your body/muscles are going to adapt to whatever you are doing if you don't mix it up.

Add in some drop sets, super sets, giant sets, etc. Another reason maybe your muscles are not responding is because of your control/technique. A lot of people don't realize that even a small change in how you lift the weight can make that big of a difference.
Can you give me an example of these sets you speak of?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
on this, it seems many people get the mixing up part wrong. most people seem to think you need an entirely new program every 4-8 weeks. to easily prove that wrong we can show 5/3/1 as an example. there are man people in the world that have followed this workout for over a year and saw progress the entire time while doing the same main lifts in the same pattern. what changed was they got stronger so they used heavier weights. my point is, the failure of many workout programs to continue to see results can be as simple as a progression plan. you get stronger, you need more weight, not a different stimulus.

another example are olympic lifters. 2 main lifts. thats it. several days a week of 2 lifts. and year after year they get stronger.

a good plan can be used for months, and even years. as long as it has all the components it needs to be a good plan. that is not just a balance of volume, intensity, and frequency, but mobility work, conditioning, and a progression plan. miss one of those and plan wont last long. miss several, as most people do and no wonder you cant do more then a few weeks on a plan.

to me that is a big reason i recommend people doing proven programs. if nothing else it teaches a person all the components. by reviewing several programs and doing them you start to see how those components are related. in that you change one how you need to change the others to fit.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
what changed was they got stronger so they used heavier weights. my point is, the failure of many workout programs to continue to see results can be as simple as a progression plan. you get stronger, you need more weight, not a different stimulus.
This is a take home bullet point
It is not the exercises your body adapts to, as much as it is the weight being used. So, increasing the loads, thru progression, perhaps along with volumes, frequencies, certainly determination and having your head into it, etc. are huge keys to keep moving into higher levels.
Actual specific routines are low on the list of successes, as opposed to WORKING a said routine.
Knowing when to push hard and when to pull back some, can be very helpful in moving forward, but comes with experience and time under the bar.

i recommend people doing proven programs. if nothing else it teaches a person all the components. by reviewing several programs and doing them you start to see how those components are related. in that you change one how you need to change the others to fit.
Right. Otherwise you can fall into the trap of searching for the perfect routine (that does not really exist) and even worse, the dreaded CRCing or constant routine changing, looking for the holy grail. There are quite a few proven routines that work and many top lifters have used them for lifetimes.
Usually using loads in the 80% of anytime maxes, and for multi sets and reps are some of the most basic and successfully set up routines.
And honestly, 3-4 times per week can be plenty for the masses on weight work, maybe adding other cadio stuff ie: basketball etc. etc. etc. over top thru the week.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i may keep my routine (what i lift on what days) the same for a few months, but as far as individual exercises go, i never go in doing the same exact thing i did the week before. always change it up. i do keep the basics the same. like, i always do squats, always bench...etc