Cut or continue "bulk"?

pmdied

Awards
A little background: 39, 5'10. 196lbs. Bodyfat 17% Chest/shoulders 44, upper arms 14 1/4. Neck 17. Thighs 23, calves 16.
I've have an athletic background for most of my life but only started a serious, regimented weightlifting and diet program 17 months ago.
My basic program consists of dead lifts, squats, bench, rows, pull ups, overhead presses, etc. All the fundamentals.

My question is should I try going on a cut (which I've never done) or continue on my mass training regimen.
Ive spent a bit of time building this physique and would like see what it would be like at say, 8% body fat but am a little afraid of undoing all the hard work done so far.
I like the idea of having a true "six pack" but I would also like to achieve my goal of having 16 inch arms..
I am interested to know what others think and their experiences are. Thanks again.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
just a general rule....15% or more, you should cut

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
really depends on you op. if you want to continue to get stronger then bulk if you feel you are getting to fat then cut

pmdied

Awards
I thought it was 20% or more cut...
No wonder I can't see my abs....lol
Funny thing is I can see my top 2 abs and some of my obliques. Just wondering if there is any benefit to cutting and then going back to another "bulk"

SlyCamaro

Awards
At 5"10 196 your gonna get pretty skinny if you cut! I would keep pushing for size, just eat clean and add some cardio.

pmdied

Awards
At 5"10 196 your gonna get pretty skinny if you cut! I would keep pushing for size, just eat clean and add some cardio.
Thanks. I think I'll keep eating the same and just add 10-15 minutes of cardio at the end of each lifting session. And cut out the beer!

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
you can try things like intermittent fasting or carb backloading and just pack on size while not packing on much fat.