Is it wrong to train bi's and back then chest and shoulders?

Rob94hawk

Rob94hawk

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Is it wrong to train bi's and back then chest and shoulders the next day? Or should I be using antagonistic muscle groups on the same day? Here's my lifting schedule that I've started this week:
1. Bi's, Back
2. Chest, Shoulders
3. HIIT
4. Squats
5. Bi's, back
6. Chest, Shoulders
7. Rest

I don't do the same routine lets say when I do chest. I'll do bench and flys one day then incline flys and pushups
But should I be doing Bi's and shoulders, etc.?

beastybean

beastybean

Awards
  • Established
It doesn't matter. The only thing that would matter is say if you did shoulders or triceps Monday and bench on Tuesday your numbers might be less because your shoulders and trips are sore. I don't even do bicep days because heavy back work gets my biceps sore enough.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wouldn't lift Chest and Shoulders same day IMO

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
id be more concerned with you doing 4 days of upper body a week and 1 day of lower body a week

joesgainshc

Awards
I agree with OnionKnight and Kbayne. You should have another lower body workout in there as well. Squats/Deadlifts are two lifts that will help you put on the most size and strength; because they are the biggest compound movements. Doing chest and shoulders the same day will decrease your numbers because you utilize your shoulders when you do chest, and vice versa. If you combine two major muscle groups I feel like it should be shoulders and back. They share some of the same muscles, like traps for instance. This has been my split for a while and I LOVE it.

Back/Shoulders/Bi's.
Legs/Abs
Chest/Triceps
Off
BackShoulders/Bi's
Legs/Abs
Chest/Triceps

none of the two days are the same, so there is 6 different days basically. I'll make a routine and stick with it for a month and then kind of change it up. After about 3 weeks to a month your body usually adapts.

cheddaarr

Awards
^^^ Yeah it really depends on you. I always second guess my routines. If your using common sense, you should just find the best way by trial and error. Your recovery might be slower than normal by doing it as it is now, but whatever works for your current goal i guess.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
^^^ Yeah it really depends on you. I always second guess my routines. If your using common sense, you should just find the best way by trial and error. Your recovery might be slower than normal by doing it as it is now, but whatever works for your current goal i guess.
it shouldnt depend on you at all. we are all homo sapien, therefore have the same anatomy. therefore have the same physiology. therefore the same workouts stimulate us the same as long as the same effort is put forth, the same diet is eaten, the same sleep patterns are used, and the stress level is the same. and that is where you get some differences, all the other variables. include the fact that people have slightly different efficiency levels in muscle firing patterns and are coming into a workout with different past training and you get a variance in training results but you do not get a difference in what works.

as for common sense, that is so rare it seems that it shouldnt have even been brought up. many people can lift for decades and still create idiotic workout plans and claim their workout is perfect. and why reinvent the wheel. i swear, exercise is one field of knowledge where trying to recreate the wheel is not only expected but looked highly upon. its like if someone tries to read a book and learn something their bro friends knock them for it. but we all know how knowledge can take us far, just look at zir red.

so no, dont use common sense and do trial and error. save yourself time in the world of instant gratification and do a proven program. if you want to learn more learn why the proven program works. and read up on other programs and try and find the similarities and differences of those program while you stick to that first proven program for 6-12 months. and yes, it takes that long to prove to yourself its going to work.

and last but not least if you really want to learn, pick up an anatomy and physiology book. by reading that you will be better educated then 90+% of the idiotic trainers that claim to be so good in this country.

*steps of soap box, leaves the room*

Rob94hawk

Rob94hawk

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I agree with OnionKnight and Kbayne. You should have another lower body workout in there as well. Squats/Deadlifts are two lifts that will help you put on the most size and strength; because they are the biggest compound movements. Doing chest and shoulders the same day will decrease your numbers because you utilize your shoulders when you do chest, and vice versa. If you combine two major muscle groups I feel like it should be shoulders and back. They share some of the same muscles, like traps for instance. This has been my split for a while and I LOVE it.

Back/Shoulders/Bi's.
Legs/Abs
Chest/Triceps
Off
BackShoulders/Bi's
Legs/Abs
Chest/Triceps

none of the two days are the same, so there is 6 different days basically. I'll make a routine and stick with it for a month and then kind of change it up. After about 3 weeks to a month your body usually adapts.
Thanx for the advise. What I'll do is adjust the splits and add deadlifts. I'll try this routine and adjust as necessary. Since I work nights this might be a better routine. I can go heavier then rest a bit more which might be better for me.

Chest/bi's
shoulders/back
squats/abs
rest
HIIT
deadlifts
rest

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
i like that one a lot more. pretty good basic outline

joesgainshc

Awards
Thanx for the advise. What I'll do is adjust the splits and add deadlifts. I'll try this routine and adjust as necessary. Since I work nights this might be a better routine. I can go heavier then rest a bit more which might be better for me.

Chest/bi's
shoulders/back
squats/abs
rest
HIIT
deadlifts
rest
yup that seems better