Hip-strengthening exercises

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Was wondering some good exercises for this. I feel I have weak hips and it holds me back a little in my squat and dead. Am doing 5/3/1 and wanted to add some good hip-strengthening exercises to my accessory lifts.

Cheers

napalm

napalm

Awards
Was wondering some good exercises for this. I feel I have weak hips and it holds me back a little in my squat and dead. Am doing 5/3/1 and wanted to add some good hip-strengthening exercises to my accessory lifts.

Cheers
It's prolly not your hips, but your hamstrings. Good mornings, SLDL's and the two movements you think are holding you back are the best hamstring movements

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
It's prolly not your hips, but your hamstrings. Good mornings, SLDL's and the two movements you think are holding you back are the best hamstring movements

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
Hmm I already include those in my assistance work. What makes you think it's not the hips? Just curious

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Hip thrusts and deep goblet squats tend to work more for me. Hip thrust for the driving power and goblet squats for hip mobility.

Where's your sticking point in the movements? Where are you failing?

Take some video and people here can help you set up your assistance work.

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Yea ill have to throw a video up but for deads it's the bottom half of the movement. I feel if I could get the weight to my knees I could finish the pull. With squats it's really just getting out of the hole.

Btw I just started doing goblet squats for assistance a couple weeks ago and I love em

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Do you pull conventional or sumo?

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Half you tried deficit pulls or snatch grip deads?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hmm I already include those in my assistance work. What makes you think it's not the hips? Just curious
You may have included them, but are you also improving on them? There aren't many exercises I track for rep PRs outside of the big 3, but GM are one of them.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Try explosive box/bench jumps. You'd be amazed at how it can help your squating.

napalm

napalm

Awards
when you say 'strengthen your hips," what are you referring to? the hips are a joint, and joints don't make the bar go up. muscles do, specifically the hamstrings, glutes, erectors, adductors and to a lesser extent, the quads. strengthen these and your squat and dl will come around.

post a vid...

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
when you say 'strengthen your hips," what are you referring to? the hips are a joint, and joints don't make the bar go up. muscles do, specifically the hamstrings, glutes, erectors, adductors and to a lesser extent, the quads. strengthen these and your squat and dl will come around.

post a vid...
Yea I hear you..I get the hip is not a muscle but I just feel weak in the bottom of the before mentioned lifts.

I'm out of town for a couple days but I'll try and get a video this coming week

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are you doing unilateral work too? You get more gluteal activation out of split squats, RFE split squats, step ups, traveling lunges, etc. than a lot of two foot barbell exercises.