Hip-strengthening exercises

  1. Banned
    JoeySon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    811
    Answers
    0

    Hip-strengthening exercises


    Was wondering some good exercises for this. I feel I have weak hips and it holds me back a little in my squat and dead. Am doing 5/3/1 and wanted to add some good hip-strengthening exercises to my accessory lifts.

    Cheers

  2. Registered User
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,210
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by JoeySon
    Was wondering some good exercises for this. I feel I have weak hips and it holds me back a little in my squat and dead. Am doing 5/3/1 and wanted to add some good hip-strengthening exercises to my accessory lifts.

    Cheers
    It's prolly not your hips, but your hamstrings. Good mornings, SLDL's and the two movements you think are holding you back are the best hamstring movements

    Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
  3. Banned
    JoeySon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    811
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    It's prolly not your hips, but your hamstrings. Good mornings, SLDL's and the two movements you think are holding you back are the best hamstring movements

    Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    Hmm I already include those in my assistance work. What makes you think it's not the hips? Just curious
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    PumpHouse's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,572
    Answers
    0


    Hip thrusts and deep goblet squats tend to work more for me. Hip thrust for the driving power and goblet squats for hip mobility.

    Where's your sticking point in the movements? Where are you failing?

    Take some video and people here can help you set up your assistance work.
  5. Banned
    JoeySon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    811
    Answers
    0


    Yea ill have to throw a video up but for deads it's the bottom half of the movement. I feel if I could get the weight to my knees I could finish the pull. With squats it's really just getting out of the hole.

    Btw I just started doing goblet squats for assistance a couple weeks ago and I love em
  6. Registered User
    PumpHouse's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,572
    Answers
    0


    Do you pull conventional or sumo?
  7. Banned
    JoeySon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    811
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by PumpHouse View Post
    Do you pull conventional or sumo?
    Conventional
  8. Registered User
    PumpHouse's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,572
    Answers
    0


    Half you tried deficit pulls or snatch grip deads?
  9. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,153
    Answers
    1


    Quote Originally Posted by JoeySon View Post
    Hmm I already include those in my assistance work. What makes you think it's not the hips? Just curious
    You may have included them, but are you also improving on them? There aren't many exercises I track for rep PRs outside of the big 3, but GM are one of them.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  10. Gate Keeper
    jminis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4,023
    Answers
    0


    Try explosive box/bench jumps. You'd be amazed at how it can help your squating.
  11. Registered User
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,210
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by JoeySon View Post
    Hmm I already include those in my assistance work. What makes you think it's not the hips? Just curious
    when you say 'strengthen your hips," what are you referring to? the hips are a joint, and joints don't make the bar go up. muscles do, specifically the hamstrings, glutes, erectors, adductors and to a lesser extent, the quads. strengthen these and your squat and dl will come around.

    post a vid...
  12. Banned
    JoeySon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    811
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    when you say 'strengthen your hips," what are you referring to? the hips are a joint, and joints don't make the bar go up. muscles do, specifically the hamstrings, glutes, erectors, adductors and to a lesser extent, the quads. strengthen these and your squat and dl will come around.

    post a vid...
    Yea I hear you..I get the hip is not a muscle but I just feel weak in the bottom of the before mentioned lifts.

    I'm out of town for a couple days but I'll try and get a video this coming week
  13. Registered User
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Answers
    0


    Are you doing unilateral work too? You get more gluteal activation out of split squats, RFE split squats, step ups, traveling lunges, etc. than a lot of two foot barbell exercises.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Exercises for sport performance
    By bigbadboss101 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-16-2007, 02:09 PM
  2. lower back exercises to help strengthen?
    By RunMav in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-31-2006, 01:47 AM
  3. The Importance of Strengthening Hip Rotators
    By yeahright in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-29-2006, 11:53 PM
  4. Leg Exercises to Balance Out Wide Hips
    By spitboy2000 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-14-2005, 08:28 AM
  5. Exercise Phys.- Muscle Fiber Types
    By YellowJacket in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-12-2002, 10:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in