What's Your Opinion For Using Hang Cleans for traps?

Zach Strom

Zach Strom

Awards
I've tried to find opinions but they're all from guys who have no experience from the exercise or have nothing to back it up. I'm open to both sides, just wanted to know what everyone thought. I figure if you keep it High Weight/Low Rep it would be good so you don't over-fatigue and damage form. Maybe 3X5? That's just my thoughts, feel free to take either side. Anyone who has done them before and found them beneficial or has done them and found other exercises much better (Shrugs,Up-Right Rows, etc.) Thanks !

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I prefer heavy bb shrugs

Zach Strom

Zach Strom

Awards
I like shrugs a lot, w/o straps.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Yup. No straps for me.

Zach Strom

Zach Strom

Awards
Any experience with the cleans at all?

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I could see high pulls as being better. Should be able to use more weight and less technique involved. Not really a fan of olympic lifts. But I am considering adding in high pulls.

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
If you can become proficient at the oly lifts include them, absolutely. I think they are tremendous for developing a thick, strong upper back and posterior chain

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
hang cleans are good. so are high pulls, facepulls, snatch grip deadlifts, and inverted rows.

Zach Strom

Zach Strom

Awards
The way I've been doing them is high weight, low reps, low sets. Like 5X3 at 80-85%

Zach Strom

Zach Strom

Awards
I just don't wanna over-fatigue or ruin form. Any advice/opinions?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you get really tired from that volume, then your overall conditioning is poor.

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
To piggy back on that thought, treat oly lifts similar to how you would strength work. By that I mean you should be taking longer rest periods to ensure you can be quick with the bar and maintain good form.

I'm not a huge fan of using them for metabolic work due to the technical demand

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I like hang cleans for traps. I usually do what you're considering when it comes to rep ranges. Usually 3x3-6. They're good for the traps, but also the external rotators, which I think most people don't target enough.

Ozzie mentioned snatch grip deads and they're a favorite of mine when it comes to trap training. Heavy snatch grip rack pulls also did a lot for my upper back. Face-pulls are another that should be in everyone's program in my opinion.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I love cleans hanging or from the ground. I think it is the most explosive exercise. Tremendous for your whole body. If u really wanna blast your traps I recommend super seting cleans and heavy barbell shrug

Zach Strom

Zach Strom

Awards
I agree with the long breaks. I like the form to stay good. And it is an amazing explosive exercise. Like may kettleball ones