Dumb question about Glycogen storage

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
So,Glycogen storage; everyone mentions it and whatnot and whether you need simple carbs after or not. My question is pretty simple: are these muscle specific, i.e. you have to deplete muscle A glycogen storage or is it bodywide.Reason I ask is because I wanted to try carb backloading to a bigger extent, but in the book it mentions not to do with DC workout. I have made some changes to it to work out more extensively but was wondering if adding heavy, heavy HIIT cardio post working out would help me on the whole depleting the storage. Thoughts?

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you are doing DC with CBL I would suggest the hiit post workout or possibly before. Would be a good idea to check into an article he wrote before you decide to do before. But he does say that women can do hiit post workout because they can hang onto glycogen more than men. So the hiit can help deplete you if the volume isn't enough.

As far as specific you could do a row machine for upperbody days when you would be doing chest, shoulders, triceps, and back.

Personally I haven't tried DC with cbl because I have been having success with his routines.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
If you are doing DC with CBL I would suggest the hiit post workout or possibly before. Would be a good idea to check into an article he wrote before you decide to do before. But he does say that women can do hiit post workout because they can hang onto glycogen more than men. So the hiit can help deplete you if the volume isn't enough.

As far as specific you could do a row machine for upperbody days when you would be doing chest, shoulders, triceps, and back.

Personally I haven't tried DC with cbl because I have been having success with his routines.
Thanks, that helps out a lot.

Actually, doing HIIT after my workout would fit better my routine, just wanted to make sure that doing HIIT would indeed hit the gap for glycogen (as it would be useless if glycogen was muscle specific - that was the concern).

I was doing leangains before and fasted cardio in the morning, which made me wake up at 5am every day. Doing HIIT post workout would fit my goals better.

I would switch the routine but I truly enjoy DC, I love being in and out of the gym in 30 minutes or so doing a 4day/week split and I have never seen the amount of gains I have had with DC with any other program, besides, I travel a lot so DC is one of the very few routines I can pretty much do anywhere I go.

Will start with the HIIT post workout.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
HIIT is primarily driven by glycogen since you REP is going to be 1.0 or greater. This will help your goal of lowering glycogen to take advantage of the CBL.