Rotator Cuff Injury? Stay Away Lifts - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 2

Rotator Cuff Injury? Stay Away Lifts

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'6"  160 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Yes, will be heading to the doc next month. For now I'm avoiding all lifts that tax the shoulders and sticking with lower body, bi/tri and abs. All this to give the shoulder a big rest.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  225 lbs.

better solution

Quote Originally Posted by vidapreta View Post
    Funny... I'm about to get a cortisone shot today in my shoulder.. Hope it helps.
    I've been training for 40 years and have had more surgeries than Frankenstein......rotator cuff surgery was the most debilitating, and I never regained full range of motion.

There's a new procedure out called PRP injections....

I don't have "enough posts to provide a link" but look it up.....

I'm getting one in my elbow for a tear in the tricep tendon, and can't wait. this procedure sounds like the wave of the future.

Good luck whatever you decide on.
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdb2 View Post
    For most injuries cortisone will just mask the issue for a short period which, as stated, leads to more harm than good. Be wary of them. Most of the sports pts I know loath Dr.s who prescribe them often
    Plus the needle digging in to your shoulder hurts like hell.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  191 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I, too, have been having issues with my left shoulder. Feels more like an impingement, but it might be a tear, as I recall when I first hurt it, it "burned" (I was sledding down a mountain and was getting out of control. I "stopped" myself with my elbow and that seemed to "pull" too hard on the shoulder.)

It "clicks" when I move it across my chest and I think it's starting to bother my elbow. Not sure what's really going on, but I'm hoping maybe a chiropractor can align it. Also, feels like a balls of nerves right near my shoulder blade and when I bench, it feels like my arm's twisting. When I do dumbbell curls, I can't seem to get a good pump in the biceps and it feels like more of the outer triceps that gets the workout. And, then there's the ulnar nerve. Feels like it wants to pop out or some such.
  5. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by ricroc
    but I'm hoping maybe a chiropractor can align it.
    Chiropractors do an awesome job on a lot of musculoskeletal issues, but if it were my shoulder, no f'ing way would I let one torque on it. If there is a tear, that could possibly make it worse. If it is impinged, it's a easy diagnosis: what the doc will do is inject the AC joint with lidocaine. If the pain goes away, it's impinged.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  191 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

^--cool. Good advice to follow. Thanks.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    Chiropractors do an awesome job on a lot of musculoskeletal issues, but if it were my shoulder, no f'ing way would I let one torque on it. If there is a tear, that could possibly make it worse. If it is impinged, it's a easy diagnosis: what the doc will do is inject the AC joint with lidocaine. If the pain goes away, it's impinged.

napalm, I have been diagnosed by an orthopedic surgeon as having labrum tears in both shoulders, although I haven't had any MRI's done yet. I noticed you said that your labrum tears don't give you any additional pain when you work out. My experience has been the opposite -- when I work out (especially chest exercises), my labrum tears hurt, sometimes really badly. Do you think that is an indication that I have a rotator cuff tear and not a labrum tear (or maybe in addition to a labrum tear)? Also, did doing any physical therapy exercises bring any pain relief? I have been doing them on my own at the gym, but I don't think they've really helped much (in fact, it actually hurts when I do the exercises).
  8. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by SpicedCider

napalm, I have been diagnosed by an orthopedic surgeon as having labrum tears in both shoulders, although I haven't had any MRI's done yet. I noticed you said that your labrum tears don't give you any additional pain when you work out. My experience has been the opposite -- when I work out (especially chest exercises), my labrum tears hurt, sometimes really badly. Do you think that is an indication that I have a rotator cuff tear and not a labrum tear (or maybe in addition to a labrum tear)? Also, did doing any physical therapy exercises bring any pain relief? I have been doing them on my own at the gym, but I don't think they've really helped much (in fact, it actually hurts when I do the exercises).
    Like I mentioned earlier, labral tears can be hard to dx. They don't show up a lot on MRI. The definitive way to dx one is through arthroscopy. I see one of three scenarios: labral tear, cuff tear or both. My last repair was for both.

As far as therapy bringing pain relief, the short answer is no, the pain relief comes from the repair itself. I haven't been pain free in 25 years. This is what we do bro, as with anything there are consequences if taken to extremes.

Good luck and keep us posted...

9. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by napalm

Like I mentioned earlier, labral tears can be hard to dx. They don't show up a lot on MRI. The definitive way to dx one is through arthroscopy. I see one of three scenarios: labral tear, cuff tear or both. My last repair was for both.

As far as therapy bringing pain relief, the short answer is no, the pain relief comes from the repair itself, and in my experience, even after repair there is still a degree of pain. I haven't been pain free in 25 years. This is what we do bro, as with anything there are consequences if taken to extremes.

10. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Don't ask me how the above happened, the mobile app can be frustrating. I tried to edit and failed...

11. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post

As far as therapy bringing pain relief, the short answer is no, the pain relief comes from the repair itself. I haven't been pain free in 25 years. This is what we do bro, as with anything there are consequences if taken to extremes.

Taken to extremes... dude, look at my stats! LOL. I don't think I ever really was able to get off the ground with working out -- I had my injury about two or three months after I first started going to the gym. How would you describe the pain you had from your rotator cuff tear? Is it a burning pain that you feel during benchpressing that intensifies with every additional rep during a set? I also will sometimes get a dull pain in the shoulder while running.

Also, what did the doctor say about working out with your injuries? Did he say to do whatever you want as long as you're willing to put up with the pain? Or did he tell you that working out could make it worse?
  12. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SpicedCider

Taken to extremes... dude, look at my stats! LOL. I don't think I ever really was able to get off the ground with working out -- I had my injury about two or three months after I first started going to the gym. How would you describe the pain you had from your rotator cuff tear? Is it a burning pain that you feel during benchpressing that intensifies with every additional rep during a set? I also will sometimes get a dull pain in the shoulder while running.

Also, what did the doctor say about working out with your injuries? Did he say to do whatever you want as long as you're willing to put up with the pain? Or did he tell you that working out could make it worse?
    I described my cuff tear pain earlier in the thread, it gets worse with exertion. Keep in mind that symptoms differ depending on the extent and exact location of the injury.

The damage will get worse, obviously, if you keep on training without getting it fixed.

Best advice: get the MRI, if there's no cuff tear the surgeon may want to do an exploratory arthroscopy to check out the joint itself if the symptoms are still there.

Take your time and find the best ortho doc you can, it's worth it.

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. HGH for rotator cuff injury
    By KurtisWicked in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 01-16-2013, 06:47 PM
  2. How bad is this rotator cuff injury?
    By psycho67 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-19-2011, 08:09 PM
  3. Rotator Cuff/Shoulder Injury
    By rocksolid84 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-25-2008, 01:29 PM
  4. Rotator Cuff injury...Are you 100% sure?
    By mmorpheuss in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-16-2006, 11:45 PM