Hang cleans/power cleans

sdisibio

Awards
Trying to increase my weight for cleans. Any suggestions or tips?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1. technique, get a good coach
2. heavy clean pulls
3. heavy front squats
4. lots of RDL's and hip bridges

Without any additional info that's my suggestion.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Get on a good mobility program as well. If you are tight and not flexible the lifts will be much more difficult. It took me a while to actually get elbows to get the full ROM, which lots of front squats will help with.
Also get comfortable getting into a deep squat, good mobility in the hips will be a huge help during the second pull of your cleans.

bigintensions

bigintensions

Awards
If you don't already do it, the thigh bounce helps tremendously. It ensures you get your hips through explosively as well.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you don't already do it, the thigh bounce helps tremendously. It ensures you get your hips through explosively as well.
I believe I know what you are talking about...though I don't think I've heard it called this before. Care to explain or link to a video?

bigintensions

bigintensions

Awards
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx-uejqMB5k

At about 24 seconds you can see what I'm talking about. And your right it's not really called a "thigh bounce". The guy in the video, Kendrick Farris who has been to the olympics twice, trains at LSUS which is where I train too and he has given me some tips about this. If you keep the bar close to your body and are explosive with you hips then this should happen automatically. If it doesn't happen then either the bar is to far away from your body or your hips are coming through to late.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Beastly. Ok, I see what you are talking about. And that is one of my main problems with the olympics - hitting the final pull too early such that the bar bounces off my middle-to-lower thigh and gets away from me.

This is a good series demonstrating some drills to help achieve what Kendrick did. There are three parts, the link below is to number 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV532Bpc8XU

bigintensions

bigintensions

Awards
Beastly. Ok, I see what you are talking about. And that is one of my main problems with the olympics - hitting the final pull too early such that the bar bounces off my middle-to-lower thigh and gets away from me.

This is a good series demonstrating some drills to help achieve what Kendrick did. There are three parts, the link below is to number 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV532Bpc8XU
Yea I used to have that exact same problem, I finally broke the habit but it still comes back occasionally. That's an awesome drill in that vid. Doing that everyday for a few minutes with just like a pole or something would be great to reinforce that feeling.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
This is a great drill! Getting good hip contact is the part of cleans/snatches I have the hardest time with...I'm always afraid of hitting just a little too far south!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That man is a monster.

I love Olympic lifts and we did them a lot in HS football. I'm going to do those drills in my free time Lol.