help with injury?

marcink99

marcink99

Awards
Ok so I started geting pain from posterior tibialis tendon. It hurts when I streach. I most likely got it from overuse. 3 times a week front squats and cardio on off days(walking on treadmill for 30min)

Regardless I think it was related to me squating in running shoes..(I got myself new shoes cant wait to try them on friday)

Currently I have changed my training where I squat 2 times a week and do no cardio on off days.

Any tips on what to do? Iam currently pulsing epistine so I dont want to take any time off... Plus I love squats and my new love deadlifts:) btw its not my foot its just shows where I feel pain
Cause-of-peroneal-tendonitis.jpg

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
I've got peroneal tendinitis in both ankles, most severely in the left. While not exact to your condition, what I have done as far as treatment may help you a bit. When either ankle flares up ill wear a brace for a few days during activity.

http://www.dme-direct.com/breg-lace-up-ankle-brace

On top of that your run of the mill RICE therapy, when resting, will help bring down some of the inflammation. I've also made a more conscious effort to include ankle mobility and strengthening work and have seen a decrease in the frequency and severity of the flare ups.

http://www.pamf.org/Orthopedics/mountainview/handouts/AnkleExercises.pdf

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/rehabilitation-exercises/lower-leg-ankle-exercises

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is that your diagram, its awesome.

I have posterior tib tendonitis. It used to really get me when I jogged (not sprinted or squatted, but jogged). Could actually ruin what might be a good sprint workout.

Stretch your calves to start. Check your shoes and try landing more on the lateral aspect of your food.

If you can get ART done on the muscle DO IT. If you cannot, then self massage it with a rounded stick. The butt end of grill spatulas often work well. Massage the area of the muscle just posterior to the tibia. Make sure you lube that area up to assist with the massaging.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Posterior tibialis tendinitis it sounds like. Any type of tendinitis is going to require rest. If you keep training on it, probably will get worse. I had bicep tendinitis and couldn't train for 2 months and believe me it sucked.

Your best bet is rest, ice, and keep pressure off of it.

I would see your physician though first and foremost.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've got peroneal tendinitis in both ankles, most severely in the left. While not exact to your condition, what I have done as far as treatment may help you a bit. When either ankle flares up ill wear a brace for a few days during activity.
My peroneal brevis got so tight that when I stepped wrong during a jog through the woods it caused an avulsion facture to the base of my 5th metatarsal. The tendon and its attachment literally ripped off the bone.

I try to stretch and massage those as well. I've also done a lot of anterior tib work as well as ankle mobility stuff (walking on toes, hells, inside and outside of feet. Drawing the ABCs with my feet, strengthening the deep foot muscles, etc.)

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
My peroneal brevis got so tight that when I stepped wrong during a jog through the woods it caused an avulsion facture to the base of my 5th metatarsal. The tendon and its attachment literally ripped off the bone.

I try to stretch and massage those as well. I've also done a lot of anterior tib work as well as ankle mobility stuff (walking on toes, hells, inside and outside of feet. Drawing the ABCs with my feet, strengthening the deep foot muscles, etc.)
Damnnnn! I can't even imagine the pain it definitely dropped you mid stride. How long was the pt for that?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Damnnnn! I can't even imagine the pain it definitely dropped you mid stride. How long was the pt for that?
It was terrible.

I was jogging in the woods and saw a deer. Animal instincts gave in and I gave chase. I hopped a small stone wall, landed, heard a pop, and face planted. Had to drag myself a good 2 miles back to the trail head. To make matters worse, I was shirtless and it was early fall, and the mosquitoes were out in force.

No PT, just had to treat the symptoms. Wrapped it every day, ice-heat-iced it every evening, slept with it elevated, and wore an air boot and crutches while walking. Took a good 6 weeks before I could do any lower body training again, and probably 8-10 before squatting heavy or sprinting. I think the worse part is that I couldn't even swim since the force of the water on ankle flexion caused pain.

Br

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
It was terrible.

I was jogging in the woods and saw a deer. Animal instincts gave in and I gave chase. I hopped a small stone wall, landed, heard a pop, and face planted. Had to drag myself a good 2 miles back to the trail head. To make matters worse, I was shirtless and it was early fall, and the mosquitoes were out in force.

No PT, just had to treat the symptoms. Wrapped it every day, ice-heat-iced it every evening, slept with it elevated, and wore an air boot and crutches while walking. Took a good 6 weeks before I could do any lower body training again, and probably 8-10 before squatting heavy or sprinting. I think the worse part is that I couldn't even swim since the force of the water on ankle flexion caused pain.

Br
I can't even imagine that sounds absolutely horrible your scaring me into looking into some more serious modalities to augment my own prehab.

marcink99

marcink99

Awards
Its not my diagrom.. I found it on google (after 30 minutes of searching or so)

Thank you for all the quick responses. I do not plan on resting... Pain is not that bad. Maybe new shoes will help. Should I still do calf raises on the leg?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Its not my diagrom.. I found it on google (after 30 minutes of searching or so)

Thank you for all the quick responses. I do not plan on resting... Pain is not that bad. Maybe new shoes will help. Should I still do calf raises on the leg?
Stretch your calves, ice it, learn to land more on the lateral foot when running, and massage the hell out of the muscle it self.

SinghDaKillaa

SinghDaKillaa

Awards
Hey man

You should try squatting with your heels elevated.
Try to put like 5 pound plates on the ground and your hells on them.

Also try supplementing with glutamine, always a good thing for recovery

Hope that helps man

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey man

Hope that helps man
Glutamine is worthless.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey man

Hope that helps man
Yes, glutamine through IV is great for recovery...if you a severe burn patient or post op.

Squatting with your heels elevated is only compensating for poor calf mobility. A good pair of olympic weight lifting shoes will provide the perfect angle of heel elevation to allow for a deeper front or high bar squat. But the emphasis should really be placed on improving ankle mobility by stretching and MFRing the calf.