How often do you correct a stranger's form?

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
First off let me say that I am by no means an expert and still have a ton to learn, but sometimes I see somebody doing something I know for a fact will likely result in injury and I want to approach them and help them out so bad. I never actually has as it use to be my biggest pet peeve when first starting out but I was wondering if you guys do and how often?

MuscleGenius

MuscleGenius

Awards
I never go and correct someone's form... People say Branch Warren has terrible form but I'm sure as hell not gonna try and correct him!

If I thought it would really result in a bad j jury I might say something though. Otherwise no way. Ill save my form tricks for myself.

R1187

R1187

Awards
  • Established
I'll be honest, I hate when people try to correct my form.

They may mean well, they may even be right, but I just don't like it.

I feel that while there's certain priciples that might apply to everyone, everyone is also different and may use variations in form that others might disagree with.

tank316

tank316

Awards
  • Established
I have in the past. With HS athletes, yes, I do, or I should say try. LOL:sad3:

steppinRazor

Awards
Honestly If my form is off and someone who actually knows what they're doing pointed it out, I'd happily take the criticism.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I always see people with horrible form. I want to go say something but just let it go. If they want help they would ask. I've had plenty of people come up to me and ask about form and if they ask ill gladly help but if I see it... I just hope they figure it out before they hurt themselves.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
it urchs my soul when someone tries to correct my form so i bite my tounge all the time..i se some scary shizz at the gym..if im in between sets and i see someone squatting rounding their back with wayyy too much weight ill jus keep them in my peripherals jus incase i have to make a save..which i have had to do a number of times

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I Never do, because 9 times out of 10 they are gonna think that you're an azzhole. Now if someone asked for help then I'd be more than happy to show them. The problem is most of the time the type of people that have that urge to correct everyones form, are the same people that go to the gym and just wanna talk with everyone the whole time they're at the gym and actually know very little about proper form or working out in general.

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
When I worked as a CO in a prison, I corrected an inmate on the yard doing walking lunges with his knees going way past his toes. He looked at me like I had two heads, not so much cuz I was the "police" but because I cared.

Sent from my iPhone

marcink99

marcink99

Awards
I tried teaching one dude how to do squats.... he was going 1/5 of range or so.... He looked at my like I was an idiot or something he didt want to lisin to **** it I dont do it anymore

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
I'll only correct someone if I know them or have talked to them, other than that, never.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
Sometimes it kills me not to step in. I was spotting this dude squatting 405, he was doing quarter squats. I asked if he did powerlifting, just ton start a convo and he got cocky on me and said "bodybuilding, I just like to be strong as hell" ... Literally took everything I had not to bust out laughing and call him a ***** for not going to parallel. I know quarter squats work for some people but don't tell me you wanna be strong and then do some stupid knee bounces and think u can get that to parallel once.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Got a guy at my gym that will load the squat bar with 495 and look around to see if people are looking. Then he will lift it up and squat it for like I swear not even an inch. Then he will sway side to side with the weight on his back. I don't even know how to explain it haha. Its ridiculous but so funny to watch.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Rarely ever anymore unless I know the person or they ask.

The only time I will help a stranger is if they look entirely lost or if they are a youth. A lot of times I will see high school kids doing cleans and compliment them on performing the lift, tell them what a good lift it is, and then ask if I can offer some tips. Usually they are receptive, and I'll only mention a few major coaching cues to help.

Aside from that, I just shake my head (literally and figuratively) at all the "bros" and "hos" who lift with no clue.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have a hard time correcting my friends or coworkers. I give them input if I really feel compelled to and be tactful about it.

As for strangers-ill keep my mouth shut unless I think they'll hurt themselves

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
i do when im on the floor for the day lookin to ripoff/sell sessions. but i doit different to whe i really cater to their ego. instead of stright on correction cuz theyre dum, i tell them an *alternate* way to perform the lift. makes them more likely to not blow me off and actually listen as opposed to walking up and saying "hey dip**** youre doing the lift wrong"

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Never, I used to try and save the lumbar vertebrae, shoulders, etc. of so many but now I just shake my head and continue on unless asked.

marcink99

marcink99

Awards
hmmmm so how many of you have tried to fix squat form on female members?

marcink99

marcink99

Awards
not really fix.. more like bert stare
yeah its always entertaining when a hot girl does squats.... You need to be very strong not to look…. Huh I wonder if it bothers them when 20+ guys look at their asses at the same time... (like we care:biglaugh:)

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yeah its always entertaining when a hot girl does squats.... You need to be very strong not to look…. Huh I wonder if it bothers them when 20+ guys look at their asses at the same time... (like we care:biglaugh:)
I got my wife a t-shirt from eatbigliftbig that reads right on her ass:
"Do these squats make my butt look big"

In commercial gyms I don't see very many women in general squatting correctly. They are either squatting with baby weights or doing ugly 3/4 reps. And then they all follow it up with a million sets of leg raises to further exascerbate their anterior pelvic tilt and gluteal amnesia.

Ah, but another rant for another day.

DAG2013

Awards
hmmmm so how many of you have tried to fix squat form on female members?
funny this was posted, I had to do it this morning. I felt compelled to give her some pointers as I watched her knees go way past her toes and heels come off the ground. I came home to my wife doing perfect squats, Im a lucky man.

I workout out a Philadelphia Sports Club near my home, I constantly see people with horrible form. the older people erk me the most, the mid-50's, early 60's guy who thinks rocking his entire body and breaking his wrist is doing anything for his biceps. I also tend not to be impressed by the guys who move weights a fraction of the full range of a good form rep. I typically keep to myself though, unless I think someone will be receptive to the criticism. Which I myself would be if there was anyone there who could give it.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
are we talking about form or rep range?

i don't go up to ppl i don't know and just butt in ever, it's none of my business but i'd be more likely to fix someones form than rep range

look at branch warren, jason huh, or max charles, they all use poor range of motion by most standards, however constant tension is a very effective way to train

DAG2013

Awards
I was referring to both. I know some people just cant go through full ranges of motion, I myself have had to work a lot on my left shoulder after suffering a grade III separation a few years back. that said IMO you can tell the people who just dont know they are doing something wrong.

marcink99

marcink99

Awards
Personaly I woul be happy if someone would come up to me and be like "hey I noticed that you could improve you form by doing this and that...."

( I strainded my back before from bad squat form) now my form is great

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Unsilicited advice makes you look bad, and douchey. So, i never do it.

marcink99

marcink99

Awards
Yeah how many of you noticed people wearing lifting belts squatting about ~100 with narrows stand / partial reps rounding back like crazy?
I tried helping people like this now I don’t give a f… unless someone ask me or I know that person

Hajiroku

Hajiroku

Awards
  • Established
I used to if I thought the person was doing them selves terrible harm, but that upsets them greatly. Now I just watch in terror.

DAG2013

Awards
I know we're already 24 days into the new year, but shouldn't most people trying to stick to their resolutions at least feign some interest in doing things better. Granted 75% of them will drop out in another 2 weeks but still.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
i do when im on the floor for the day lookin to ripoff/sell sessions. but i doit different to whe i really cater to their ego. instead of stright on correction cuz theyre dum, i tell them an *alternate* way to perform the lift. makes them more likely to not blow me off and actually listen as opposed to walking up and saying "hey dip**** youre doing the lift wrong"
Actually a really good idea ^^^

marcink99

marcink99

Awards
"hey dip**** youre doing the lift wrong" lol I wonder if anybody used this line.

Dom Tavis

Dom Tavis

Banned
Awards
The guys that try to give me tips at the gym are always the ones who have the worst form I've ever seen.
They're curls look like a back workout.

marcink99

marcink99

Awards
The guys that try to give me tips at the gym are always the ones who have the worst form I've ever seen.
They're curls look like a back workout.
I am pretty sure that 95% of these guys don’t really care about your form they just want to get to know you. If it bothers you start using headphones less guys will aproach.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I posed this question on my facebook performance page...but I want to pose it here too.

Which is more annoying:

Crossfitters in commercial gym who take up nearly ever squat rack and barbell for 30 minutes and only spend about 45 seconds using each.

Psuedo-Jersian shore dudes wearing shirts cut from the armpit to the hip curling in the squat rack???

marcink99

marcink99

Awards
I posed this question on my facebook performance page...but I want to pose it here too.

Which is more annoying:

Crossfitters in commercial gym who take up nearly ever squat rack and barbell for 30 minutes and only spend about 45 seconds using each.

Psuedo-Jersian shore dudes wearing shirts cut from the armpit to the hip curling in the squat rack???
I vote Psuedo-Jersian shore dudes.. I dont see any crossfiters in my gym. What a hell do they do for 30 minutes streach?

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards

Which is more annoying:

Ok, as a guy who does Crossfit, as well as a regular gym routine, if I saw a C-Fitter in my reg gym I would possibly smack him! Don't get me wrong, I love my CF (haters be damned) but it has no place in a standard gym.
I like seeing the wanna be bad ass jersey shore guys tho....makes me laugh

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I go back and forth on this. When I see someone using awful form to the point that injury could easily occur or they're teenagers, I step in to offer assistance, but not technique advice. If it's someone doing half reps thinking they own the gym, I just laugh to myself.

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards

Which is more annoying:

Funny I was just thinking of this the other day and I cannot tell a lie. That was me when I was a teenager and now when I see it it pisses me off so bad lol it's usually the smallest kids in the gym too

marcink99

marcink99

Awards
[/B]

Funny I was just thinking of this the other day and I cannot tell a lie. That was me when I was a teenager and now when I see it it pisses me off so bad lol it's usually the smallest kids in the gym too
do they actually sell shirts with those big ass armpits?

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wish I had some of you guys in my gym to correct my form. If it makes me a more efficient lifter/ less likely to injury, then hurt my feelings. Please?

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
do they actually sell shirts with those big ass armpits?
No sadly I would just cut up an old t shirt...glad I grew out of that "look at me" stage after I graduated high school but hey I think we all go through that at one point.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
[/B]

Haha, me too actually. The Jersey persuasion has reached Kentucky...I see a lot of kids at the UK gym trying to show off their underactive serrati.

Did I mention I like your sig before? And now your avatar. I always use the Rondo's dunk over Dwight Howard when discussing power expression or agility in strength and conditioning class.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Which is more annoying:

no crossfitters in my gym....but the rule of thumb is if ur taking up multiple equipment and someone wants a rack....your losing the rack

the second doesn't bother me....it seems like everyone in my gym does whatever they want in the squat rack, so it's normal for bb'ers, strongmen, powerlifters, and regular guys all do whatever in the squat racks

the worst ppl are the powerlifters who have six gym bags, 3 bench shirts, 16 pairs of knee and wrist wraps, and a new belt for every set...their crap takes up half of the benches and most of the space between equipment making it hard grab plates

and olympic style lifters dropping weights like idiots! at night no one seems to mind....but in the mornings theirs a few guys that chase that nonsense right out of the gym

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Haha, me too actually. The Jersey persuasion has reached Kentucky...I see a lot of kids at the UK gym trying to show off their underactive serrati.

Did I mention I like your sig before? And now your avatar. I always use the Rondo's dunk over Dwight Howard when discussing power expression or agility in strength and conditioning class.
Yea like I said, I was wearing them while weighing all of 150 pounds smh..

Yea if you can't tell from my avatars I'm a die hard New England sports fan...with Celtics probably being my favorite. Little tough to watch them recently..and yes, Rondo is an athletic freak

diezel

Awards
  • Established
If I've spoken with someone a few times, maybe I'll offer advice but I usually keep to myself.

atanocc

atanocc

Awards
I'd correct that 120 lb kid doing arms everyday.. Benching only 2 inches from the top, and squatting real high.. Just because they don't know any better, and we all started as noobs as well, listening to any stupid advise that some other scrawny dude tells you to do. As for the big guys that's been training for awhile, leave em be. They probably have some real reason behind their terrible form.