Cutting info for a n00b

yazan

yazan

Awards
Ok i started working out seriously about 3 weeks ago. I've made some cool gains (beginners gains I assume) and want to start cutting. I'm about 170 and want to drop to 150-ish. Idk how tall I am but ill check tomorrow at the gym and ill post it with my exact weight. I would kinda want to lose the weight by May, so 4 months to lose 20pounds, averaging to 5 ponds a month. Sounds pretty decent to me cause its not a huge weight loss over a small period of time. So far I've been lifting heavy, hitting pr's almost daily (another noob sign that I should just continue lifting normal for now??) and no cardio ( I don't like running).

My diet is nothing special. I try to cut out junk food. I usually have homemade mediterrainian food my mom makes (I'm Syrian so dinner is usually something on the order of bread or white-rice heavy with some veggies and meat). Breakfast is usually 2 scrambled eggs and a grilled cheese sandwich. Lunch is some type of sandwich usually. Since my mom cooks, it's harder for me to calorie-count or keep track of how much fat/protein/carbs I eat.

Supps I take are con-crete creatine pills, C4 pre workout, and occasionally a muscle tech whey protein shake ( I know I should be taking it more consistently. But the taste sucks really bad).

Any info, advice, or a direction to research would be very appreciated.

TheHardOne

TheHardOne

Awards
PM sent :)

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How well conditioned are you cardiovascular wise? If you can run a mile without much issue then I'd suggest adding some HIIT conditioning to your program. It can be done after lifting or on separate days. 2-3 days a week of 20-30 minutes. I would suggest sprinting if you are conditioned to sprinting. If not, you can perform it on a bike, treadmill, etc. and work your way into sprinting on ground.

This will accelerate your fat loss combined with a decent diet.

Br

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Like Zir said above, you're really gonna want to add in some cardio as its a key complement to any fat loss plan.

Also, not to nitpick but it really is essentially to have some sort of grasp on your calories consumed. You have a very attainable goal best of luck!

P.S. cut out the grilled cheese for breakfast! Nothing but empty calories

yazan

yazan

Awards
P.S. cut out the grilled cheese for breakfast! Nothing but empty calories
Lol will do. Thx for the tip

How well conditioned are you cardiovascular wise? If you can run a mile without much issue then I'd suggest adding some HIIT conditioning to your program. It can be done after lifting or on separate days. 2-3 days a week of 20-30 minutes. I would suggest sprinting if you are conditioned to sprinting. If not, you can perform it on a bike, treadmill, etc. and work your way into sprinting on ground.

This will accelerate your fat loss combined with a decent diet.

Br
I'm not a very good runner. I can run for like 2-3 min before I get winded lol. But ill start running after I lift and hopefully that works. Thx man

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol will do. Thx for the tip

I'm not a very good runner. I can run for like 2-3 min before I get winded lol. But ill start running after I lift and hopefully that works. Thx man
Good idea, increase your endurance to where you can run a mile pretty easily.

Try Fratlek training. Its basically random changes in speed over the course of a run. If you run out doors you can
Jog a flat, sprint a hill, walk a down hill.
Jog to an object, sprint to an object, jog to another object, walk to an object, run to an object, walk to an object, sprint to an object etc, etc.

This will incorporate some interval training into the run while at the same time increasing your fitness.

Then, as you get more fit, you can start doing more banshee workouts.

yazan

yazan

Awards
Good idea, increase your endurance to where you can run a mile pretty easily.

Try Fratlek training. Its basically random changes in speed over the course of a run. If you run out doors you can
Jog a flat, sprint a hill, walk a down hill.
Jog to an object, sprint to an object, jog to another object, walk to an object, run to an object, walk to an object, sprint to an object etc, etc.

This will incorporate some interval training into the run while at the same time increasing your fitness.

Then, as you get more fit, you can start doing more banshee workouts.
Lol lets wait until i can actually run a freakin mile :D

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Lol lets wait until i can actually run a freakin mile :D
I think he was giving you tips on how you could get to that mile goal instead of just jumping on a treadmill. Make it a little more fun ya know?

boogyman

Awards
As far as the training aspect, when I am cutting I prefer to lift heavy with low reps. I find it works better for me to limit reps while on restricted calories, and does a better job building or maintaining strength levels.

TheSaiyan

TheSaiyan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As far as the training aspect, when I am cutting I prefer to lift heavy with low reps. I find it works better for me to limit reps while on restricted calories, and does a better job building or maintaining strength levels.
seconded.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
U prefer that over high reps at low weight? Any particular reason?

boogyman

Awards
One of the more difficult things with a cut is maintaining or gaining strength. Low reps at heavy weights are better for strength gains. Also, I just find a lower volume to work better while at a calorie deficit.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll second that. For natural leaner athletes, weight training while trying to decrease body fat should be predominantly aimed at maintaining muscle mass, strength, and power. A lot of people make the mistake of excessive metabolic work, such as 12 weeks of high reps, low rest periods, and a lot of supersets, complexes, and conditioning. This is fine for 2-3 week blocks, but overtime will yield decreases in muscle mass and strength, as well as some fiber type interconversion to more fatigue resistant, but smaller less forceful fibers.

Br

proteinftw

Awards
Please bulk for atleast another year bro.. you're going to continue to get rediculous gains why stop now..
if you go too quickly into a cut after making gains i think you might lose those gains.. i say take some time
to atleast solidfy the gains you made and work into a cut maybe keep your calories the same and increase cardio
to start the cut.. take a very slow approach

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
Diet and training will allow him to keep his progress, not time.

SwoldierAU

SwoldierAU

Awards
I'm currently sitting at 200lbs, 6'1, about 9-10% body fat after a 2 month bulk. Gained close to 20lbs.
I'm naturally lean and ready to start a cut, any pointers in how to train(rep range, set range, how many exercises, compound/isolation)?
I was under the impression that high reps lower weight with added super sets would be the best way to cut & maintain hard muscle.

I've calculated my calorie intake needed which is about 3200cal to start with, was having 4000cal on my bulk.