Training Regularity and Soreness

GoTigers

GoTigers

Awards
Hello Everyone, I have a question regarding training regularity and whether or not I am sore after my workouts. For the past few years I have lifted 5 days/week, where I would work the same muscle groups Monday and Thursday and Tuesday and Friday. For example:

Monday - Bench press, flys, triceps extensions, incline or decline press, nose breakers
Tuesday - Barbell curls, cable curls, bent over rows, shrugs, lat pull-downs, military press and pull ups
Wednesday - Squat, various other leg exercises, ab exercises & cardio
Thursday - Same as Monday
Friday - Same as Tuesday

I've stuck to this regimen pretty religiously, with the exception of occasionally swapping in new exercises, and have noticed that I no longer get very sore despite always taking my last few sets to failure. So, a few weeks back I was busy at work and was only able to make it to the gym 3 times in one week, so I only worked each muscle group once, and I noticed that I am considerably more sore if I have a full week to recover rather than 3-4 days. Do you guys think this is an indication that I am not fully recovering when I work each muscle group twice a week? I am considering cutting back to only working each muscle group once per week to explore this possibility, but don't want to do so if this will slow my progress.

And advice or suggestions will be much appreciated!

napalm

napalm

Awards
Your body has adapted to the stimulus. It may be a good time to switch programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Agreed with napalm. Try to vary your routine in some minor way every 1-2 sessions (set number, rep number, weight, rest, etc.) and in a major way every 3-6 weeks (exercises, schematic, objectives etc.)

Also, DOMS is not a very good indicator of productivity in the workout or growth.

Br

tank316

tank316

Awards
  • Established
Hello Everyone, I have a question regarding training regularity and whether or not I am sore after my workouts. For the past few years I have lifted 5 days/week, where I would work the same muscle groups Monday and Thursday and Tuesday and Friday. For example:

Monday - Bench press, flys, triceps extensions, incline or decline press, nose breakers
Tuesday - Barbell curls, cable curls, bent over rows, shrugs, lat pull-downs, military press and pull ups
Wednesday - Squat, various other leg exercises, ab exercises & cardio
Thursday - Same as Monday
Friday - Same as Tuesday

I've stuck to this regimen pretty religiously, with the exception of occasionally swapping in new exercises, and have noticed that I no longer get very sore despite always taking my last few sets to failure. So, a few weeks back I was busy at work and was only able to make it to the gym 3 times in one week, so I only worked each muscle group once, and I noticed that I am considerably more sore if I have a full week to recover rather than 3-4 days. Do you guys think this is an indication that I am not fully recovering when I work each muscle group twice a week? I am considering cutting back to only working each muscle group once per week to explore this possibility, but don't want to do so if this will slow my progress.

And advice or suggestions will be much appreciated!
Here's a link to Eric Brosers PRRS a great read and full of info..
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/217588-original-power-rep.html