Hiit at night.... - AnabolicMinds.com

Hiit at night....

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  257 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Hiit at night....

Is doing Hiit in the morning superior to evening HIIt due to the metabolism raise? I know nothing about the science of cardio and i am seeing conflicting messages about doing HIIT cardio at night.

2. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I doubt there is a difference but I'm in to learn something.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Not likely any difference. Make sure you are doing it fed, even if it is only 1/2 cup of greek yogurt and some fruit 30-60 min prior.

The adaptations are transitory, and it has more to do with these adaptations than the elevation in metabolic rate afterwards. These adaptations include: increased glycolytic enzymes (ability to produce more energy by breaking down glucose), increased TCA enzymes (ability to burn more fat), increased CPT (ability to bring more fat into mitochondria), increased glycogen storage abilities, and turning on a whole host of genes that basically promote the storage of carbs as glycogen, the use of fat to repair, and a decrease in lipogenesis (fat storage in adipose)

Br
    •   

4. Advanced Member

Curious for this.
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

not specifically for the question:

Best Time Of Day To Train: EveningInstead of watching the evening news, go lift. University of Southern Mississippi (Hattiesburg) researchers had 16 males train for 10 weeks either before 10 a.m. or after 6 p.m. Workouts consisted of 45 minutes of weight training followed by 45 minutes of cardio. The evening group increased muscle mass by about 3% more than the morning group and lost about 9% more bodyfat.

Best Time For Cardio: After Lifting Weights
    A 2007 University of Tokyo (Japan) study showed that 10 male subjects who performed cardio on a stationary bicycle after a weight workout burned significantly more fat than when they did cardio before weights. This is especially true later in the day; University of Wisconsin-La Crosse researchers found that subjects who did cardio between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. had a higher resting metabolic rate after the workout than when they trained between 5 a.m. and 7 a.m. or between 21 a.m. and 1 p.m.

Best Cardio Technique For Burning Fat:HIIT
    High-intensity interval training (HUT) is a form of cardio that alternates periods of high intensity (like running at 90% MHR) and low intensity (walking at a moderate pace). Numerous studies show that HIIT leads to greater fat loss than the steady-state cardio most guys do at a moderate intensity like walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes at a constant speed.
    A study from Laval University (Canada) reported that a 15-week HIIT program led to significantly greater bodyfat loss than a 20-week steady-state endurance program, despite the fact that the latter burned about 15,000 more calories than the HIIT program. The major reason HIIT burns fat so well appears to be due to the greater increase in resting metabolism that subjects experience.

So if you agree with this, doing hiit at night should technically be the best time to do it
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  257 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Not likely any difference. Make sure you are doing it fed, even if it is only 1/2 cup of greek yogurt and some fruit 30-60 min prior.

The adaptations are transitory, and it has more to do with these adaptations than the elevation in metabolic rate afterwards. These adaptations include: increased glycolytic enzymes (ability to produce more energy by breaking down glucose), increased TCA enzymes (ability to burn more fat), increased CPT (ability to bring more fat into mitochondria), increased glycogen storage abilities, and turning on a whole host of genes that basically promote the storage of carbs as glycogen, the use of fat to repair, and a decrease in lipogenesis (fat storage in adipose)

Br
    exactly what i was looking for...

If your getting hormonal / gh help is that enough to allow for some fasted hiit w/out going catabolic?
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by huggy77 View Post
    exactly what i was looking for...

If your getting hormonal / gh help is that enough to allow for some fasted hiit w/out going catabolic?
    Its not the so much entering a catabolic state you should worry about, as any exercise of intensity will put you into a catabolic state. Its providing the energy to accomplish the work output needed. The greater the work and power output during the training, the greater the stimulus for adaptations. Unfortunately, performing HIIT in a fasted state results in a lower power and work output vs. a fed state.

As mentioned previously, it won't take much to get some energy into you and get your blood sugar levels elevated. 1/2 apple and 1/2 serving protein is sufficient at the least.
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  257 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Its not the so much entering a catabolic state you should worry about, as any exercise of intensity will put you into a catabolic state. Its providing the energy to accomplish the work output needed. The greater the work and power output during the training, the greater the stimulus for adaptations. Unfortunately, performing HIIT in a fasted state results in a lower power and work output vs. a fed state.

As mentioned previously, it won't take much to get some energy into you and get your blood sugar levels elevated. 1/2 apple and 1/2 serving protein is sufficient at the least.
    I think i have to appreciate the difference between steady state and HIIT... I was thinking more about fasted benefits from a steady state perspective instead of the need for intensity in HIIT....
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by huggy77 View Post
    I think i have to appreciate the difference between steady state and HIIT... I was thinking more about fasted benefits from a steady state perspective instead of the need for intensity in HIIT....
    You got it! Treat your HIIT just like you would a lifting session.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Estrogen Levels Highest at Night?
    By Cardinal in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-25-2005, 09:13 AM
  2. sat fats at night?
    By LakeMountD in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-09-2004, 04:33 PM
  3. 8 hrs sleep at night vs. 6 hrs-night + 2hr nap-day
    By DieTrying in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-09-2004, 10:40 AM
  4. Methyl 1-test in morning or at night?
    By LIFTER23 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-15-2003, 04:56 PM
  5. Taking M-1-T at night
    By drei in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-06-2003, 06:22 PM