A question on German Volume Training

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Alright so a week ago i started my GVT 10x10 because my thumb has a small fracture in it and lifting heavy isnt an option for me for a couple more weeks :(. So heres my question. Currently I do my own type of split

chest/triceps/shoulders
back/biceps
quads/hammy/calves

I do 3 days on 1 day off and 3 days on again so working each muscle group twice a week.

Heres my question, I just ended the first week so I went through this split twice with the same movements should I switch up the movements every week? So i would do 3 days on 1 day off and 3 days on with this "week 1" lifts ive been doing. Then the next week switch it up to include different compound lifts so 3 days on 1 day off and 3 days on with this "week 2" lift selection. Would that be more beneficial? I feel like then I could run this longer, not get bored of it, and hit the major muscle groups with different movements (ie. incline bench press instead of just doing falt bench press or squats swapped with deadlifts etc). Thanks for the help in advance fellas.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
well from my research, it appears most ppl on GVT would just be too sore to workout the same muscles in that short period of time...for example on chest day i've read that ppl would recommend giving yourself 6-8 days to recover and i've heard ppl still being sore after leg day even after a week

but if it was "me", i'd probably have 2 sets of workouts....so do workout A the first 3 days, take a day off, then do workout B the next three...and so on and so fourth

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You have changed some of the fundamentals which make GVT what it is .

One of the reasons Charles picks antagonistic body parts is to decrease the performance curve to the critical drop off point. You are using supersets with a synergist in the movement which will result in a lower weight being used in both movements.

I personally would stick with the same exercises for 6 workouts, as prescribed. :)

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
well from my research, it appears most ppl on GVT would just be too sore to workout the same muscles in that short period of time...for example on chest day i've read that ppl would recommend giving yourself 6-8 days to recover and i've heard ppl still being sore after leg day even after a week

but if it was "me", i'd probably have 2 sets of workouts....so do workout A the first 3 days, take a day off, then do workout B the next three...and so on and so fourth
Oh I'm sore, but that's the beauty of this split. If my chest is sore it won't effect my back workouts , catch my drift? But I'm not sure I'm sore for about two days but by then ill be all set to train again . Most likely due to age and how much I eat (easily 4,000 calories) . I do the slow tempo with 60-70 second max rest periods.

Now there's two conflicting posts. I've seen so many variants on gvt some involve switching between alternating lifts and some involve super sets and some keep the same exercises for the time period. Kinda confusing lol. So I went with one I saw on muscle and stregnth forum.

And bdcc with 10x10 with low rest you'd have to use lighter weight anyway.

So what shall I do fellas

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What is the link?

The official GVT programme is 10 x 10 with accessory lifts on the end (usually in the region of 3 x 8-15 depending on lift).

It should be chest and back, legs and abs, off, arms and shoulders, off, repeat

It should look like;

A1) Chest exercise
A2) Back exercise

Performing as a superset until all 10 sets are completed.

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/441/German_Volume_Training.aspx

There are so many interpretations of GVT, it is confusing to a lot of people lol.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
what i really meant was if ur dong chest/shoulders/triceps.....lets say on a monday, with GVT and what i've read some ppl would say on friday when it's comes to do chest/shoulders/triceps again, you may not be fully recovered, unless i misread your lay out

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
what i really meant was if ur dong chest/shoulders/triceps.....lets say on a monday, with GVT and what i've read some ppl would say on friday when it's comes to do chest/shoulders/triceps again, you may not be fully recovered, unless i misread your lay out
Really? Well everyones body is drastically different. I guess it all really depends and no you read it right.