Feedback on Full Body Routine

lboston

lboston

Awards
Over the past couple of weeks I've been doing a full body routine, 21/2 to 3 days a week. I'm loving it so far and enjoy feeling each muscle group worked 3 times per week.

Wanted some feedback from those that have experience with full body routines. How does this look? What has been your experiences? I've used them in the past and seem to remember great results.

Day 1-3x5
Bbell bench
T-bar row
Smith military press
Smith squat
Machine curl
Triceps push downs

Day 2-3x12
Stiff legged DLs
Weighted pull ups
Weighted dips
Db lat raises
Standing calf raises
Hanging leg raises

Day 3-3x8
Incline Bbell bench
Cable rows
Upright rows
Leg press
Overhead DB tricep extensions
Preacher curls

Notes:
-On days 2 and 3 I use a 1-2-1 rep timing with a nice pause on the contracted part of the lift.
-Smith machine is being used due to current back pain and recommendations from chiropractor. Same with "supported" back exercises like t-bar and cable rows.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Toss out the movement on the Smith and make them BB movements. The Smith is an unnatural angle and actually puts more stress on the lower back compared to the BB movements. I'm not a fan of upright rows as they're rough on the shoulders; sub in the volume with mid-trap work (e.g. facepulls) and throw in more weighted core work.

lboston

lboston

Awards
Toss out the movement on the Smith and make them BB movements. The Smith is an unnatural angle and actually puts more stress on the lower back compared to the BB movements. I'm not a fan of upright rows as they're rough on the shoulders; sub in the volume with mid-trap work (e.g. facepulls) and throw in more weighted core work.
Thanks man. I will take note of your suggestions and give those a go. Love face pulls w: the rope.

lboston

lboston

Awards
What type of heavy core work might you reccomend?

lboston

lboston

Awards
Thanks guys. Did machine crunches today with 100lbs of weights. Didn't see these recommendations until tonight.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks guys. Did machine crunches today with 100lbs of weights. Didn't see these recommendations until tonight.
Do not waste your time with any of the "ab" machines. Restricted ROM and unnatural movement patterns.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Add turkish getups, medicine ball throws (twisting, over head, slams, etc.), rotation and anti-rotation to the list of core movements.

I second ditching the smith machine movements. If you want to reduce spinal loading then learn to love unilateral leg movements (pitcher squats, split squats, single leg RDL's, etc).

Br

lboston

lboston

Awards
How many days rest do you guys typically put between full body workouts?

Saturday I did 3x8 on all exercises and Monday I was going to do 5x5 on the compound lifts?

Is that too soon? Still fill a little fatigued in my muscles tonight.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
I go 1 to 2 days depending on how hard I go on each workout! Love full body days though, seem so much more worth the time & effort!

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Usually I structure my full body routines around a MWF pattern.

Monday is heavy loading.
Wed is lighter loading and more unilateral type movements
Friday is either moderate load or dynamic effort

Or you can do something in this range

Monday: Heavy load lower, moderate load upper
Wed: light loading full body
Friday: Moderate load lower, heavy load upper.

Br

marcink99

marcink99

Awards
it looks good. I did full body for the past month and found I need more valume and rest time (upper/lower is what I currently do)

For full body workout I would do

m 5x5
w 2x15
f 3x10

good luck!

lboston

lboston

Awards
Thanks to the past two gents that have responded. I'll take the feedback and use it from everyone.

I will keep M as 5x5, I'll due W 12-15, and F 8-10

I'm on my 4th week of full body and I'm loving it. Feel so much more accomplished in the gym and I'm getting to do most all my favorite lifts throughout the week.

This past week I switched out smith squats for a plate loaded squat machine and smith military press for a machine shoulder press.

I know those aren't the exact lifts I should sub for, but my lower back is still tender once the weight gets up there. Anytime infer above 315 on the regular squat it's some significant lower back stress.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks to the past two gents that have responded. I'll take the feedback and use it from everyone.

I'm on my 4th week of full body and I'm loving it. Feel so much more accomplished in the gym and I'm getting to do most all my favorite lifts throughout the week.

This past week I switched out smith squats for a plate loaded squat machine and smith military press for a machine shoulder press.

I know those aren't the exact lifts I should sub for, but my lower back is still tender once the weight gets up there. Anytime infer above 315 on the regular squat it's some significant lower back stress.
Back stress could be from the setup and unracking of the bar. Most people do something closer to a good morning than a squat when they unrack the bar and it results in unnecessary lumbar strain.

How often do you perform unilateral leg work such as walking lunges, Bulgarian split squats, etc.? You could have tight hips from neglecting these types of movements.

lboston

lboston

Awards
Back stress could be from the setup and unracking of the bar. Most people do something closer to a good morning than a squat when they unrack the bar and it results in unnecessary lumbar strain.

How often do you perform unilateral leg work such as walking lunges, Bulgarian split squats, etc.? You could have tight hips from neglecting these types of movements.
Never thought about that, Rodja. To be honest, I never do those moves. That would make sense. The back pain is always in the lower lumbar/ upper hip area.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Never thought about that, Rodja. To be honest, I never do those moves. That would make sense. The back pain is always in the lower lumbar/ upper hip area.
I use these as a preventative measure for this tightness and to strengthen the knee.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Rodja... Instead of switching up his routine.. what type of layout would you recommend to him? If you had it your way.

lboston

lboston

Awards
Enjoying the thread. Nice to hear what works for everyone. One of my favorite things about training. What works for one isn't what someone else may suggest. It's truly unique.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rodja... Instead of switching up his routine.. what type of layout would you recommend to him? If you had it your way.
I'd have it to where lower and upper are trained separately.

Lower body would have one day structured around deads and the other day around squats. The intensity would rotate each week. For example, week 1 would be heavy deads and rep squats. Each session would have one hip extensions accessory movement (e.g good mornings, SLDL/RDL), one unilateral movement, and core. These are done for 4-3 sets of 10-15 reps with variety as necessary.

Upper body would be a bit more complex. One day would be heavy vertical flexion/extension (e.g. pullups, dips, overhead presses) with moderate horizontal flex/ex (e.g. rows, chest presses) as accessory work. The next day would be the opposite: heavy horizontal flex/ex and moderate vertical flex/ex.

marcink99

marcink99

Awards

If your lower back is killing you I would start doing front squats. They are better on the back and work core. I would do front squats and regular deadlifts or romenian deadlifts in same workout. (Low volume)

Also Iam just speculating but maybe your squat form needs help? maybe your legs are too narrow to the point where you dont squat between your legs but on top of them resulting in extra tension on the back....(I had this problem) try spreading your legs more...

Dom Tavis

Dom Tavis

Banned
Awards
Maybe I should try something like that. I want my butt to look better.

marcink99

marcink99

Awards
Maybe I should try something like that. I want my butt to look better.
It looks just fine in your profile picture :) aanyways if you want to improve in that department I would recommend goblet squat/barbell squats and romanian deadlifts with plates under toes like this. Oh and as a warning do those exercises in the streaching area or somewhere on the side of the gym unless you dont mind people looking at your ass.
post.png
squats.png

lboston

lboston

Awards
Thanks for the continued replies everyone.

Did light deadlifts yesterday with 3x225 for with 8-10 reps a set. Made sure to have someone form check me with each set and paused at the top for two seconds each rep. Felt good. I did use a belt. No back pain today. Hopefully this will be the case.

My back seems to start rounding as soon as I get low and grasp the bar. I make sure my shoulders are back and everything. Not sure why it's doing that...unless it has to do with the flexibility that I lack.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
lboston If you are doing a conventional deadlift then your should protract your shoulders when you grasp the bar. This will effectively increase "length of your arms" so to speak and allow you to set up a little easier.

Can you get a picture taken of your setup (or better yet, a video of the lift) for analysis.

Also, I'd keep the reps under 5-6 on conventional dead lifts. You are better off doing 6 x 5 with about 75-80% 1 RM than 3 x 10 @ 75-80% 1 RM.

lboston

lboston

Awards
lboston If you are doing a conventional deadlift then your should protract your shoulders when you grasp the bar. This will effectively increase "length of your arms" so to speak and allow you to set up a little easier.

Can you get a picture taken of your setup (or better yet, a video of the lift) for analysis.

Also, I'd keep the reps under 5-6 on conventional dead lifts. You are better off doing 6 x 5 with about 75-80% 1 RM than 3 x 10 @ 75-80% 1 RM.
What do you mean by protract?

marcink99

marcink99

Awards
I heard that its good to do deadlifts in very low reps and with higher reps your forms suffers and you risk getting injured. (Most injuries supposedly happen on the way down) I deadlift in ~5 range.

This is a very good video on deadlift form
[video=youtube;2rKvoLu5Isk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rKvoLu5Isk[/video]

As for deadlift form I would recommend watching the above video and than doing deadlifts next to the mirror to see if your form looks good.

If your back is rounding on the way back down maybe you dont bend at the knees enough or do it to late?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree.

It's better to do 10 x 3 @ 75-80% 1rm with 30 -45 seconds rest after each than 3 x 10 @ 75-80% 1rm with 3 min rest in between.

Br