Muscle thickness and density

knoc2003

Awards
I was reading the new MD and flex wheeler was giving his thoughts on a few amateurs. and i saw a lot comments about the athletes needing to add more thickness and density. which leads to my questions whats the best rep range for adding density and thickness.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Rep range is probably not the most important thing here..Reps should be any where from 8-15.The type of movements will most likely determine thickness,sets of multi joint excercises such as squats,deadlifts,T-Bar row and flat bench all contribute to thickness.Avoid cable movements or isolation work those tend to be more finished movements..JMO

knoc2003

Awards
Rep range is probably not the most important thing here..Reps should be any where from 8-15.The type of movements will most likely determine thickness,sets of multi joint excercises such as squats,deadlifts,T-Bar row and flat bench all contribute to thickness.Avoid cable movements or isolation work those tend to be more finished movements..JMO
thanks bro

ZackMurphy

Awards
I would echo most of that. Reps aren't essential. Progress is essential. Progressive resistance. (More next week than you can do this week.) So if you can do 11 reps of something this week, and the 11th is really a bitch, aim for 12 next week, or 11 with slightly more weight. Over and over again. THAT will get you to the goal, if the goal is size (and strength).

But machines and cable movements, though they often recruit less stabilizer involvement, do have some benefits. Cable especially: they provide a constant resistance throughout a movemement, and free weights rarely do that. Think of pec flyes. With a pair of DBs, the resistance is at the peak at the start of the move, and drops near zero as you finish it. Do it with cables, and you can keep the resistance high throughout. Ditto BB curls. On a regular BB, low resistance at the start, higher in the middle, medium at the end. With a cable, you can jack up the resistance on any portion of that.

BUT. The movements MaDmaN listed for you - those get you the size. Make your body move the heaviest weights possible, the heaviest movements you can do, and you'll pack on the thickness. For me, and for most, that squats, deads, BB Rows, BB and DB presses. The heavier the weight you can use, the better. Preacher curls might feel great, but they're light weight, relatively speaking, so stick with heavier moves when you're starting out. Force your body to adapt.

Blah blah blah. Man, I talk too much.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Thickness and density (two things I have, lol) are a function of muscular size and genetics mostly.

Some guys don't emphasize the upper/mid back enough, and that can also create a lack of "thickness". Big upper back and big pecs are what create the "thick" look.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well alot of people seem to think low reps and heavy compound movements like powerlifters use will give the most thickness. I will say looking at a few of the top powerlifters it appears to be true. Also keep in mind bodybuilders such as Ronnie Coleman used to powerlift and Johnny Jackson still does compete in powerlifting.

Chunky

Awards
My view on that would be that you need hypertrophy. When you are big, you're looking thick. As simple as that. To gain hypertrophy ? Progressive overload...

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
My view on that would be that you need hypertrophy. When you are big, you're looking thick. As simple as that. To gain hypertrophy ? Progressive overload...
I agree :goodpost:

"thickness" is what?? Thickness denotes some degree of size, no? Well in order to achieve size we need gains in LBM, which is best acheived through focusing on hypertrophy. This is basic physiology.

People need to look at the big picture, then start to focus on detials later like programs, sets, reps, exericese, etc. You need to gain more mass to achieve "thickness", and hypertrophy is what should be the focus, and some type of periodization and/or HST style program is great for this. Many powerlifters actually do a type of periodization training with Westside and other routines, be it knowingly or unknowingly. My 2 cents :)

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I agree :goodpost:

"thickness" is what?? Thickness denotes some degree of size, no? Well in order to achieve size we need gains in LBM, which is best acheived through focusing on hypertrophy. This is basic physiology.

People need to look at the big picture, then start to focus on detials later like programs, sets, reps, exericese, etc. You need to gain more mass to achieve "thickness", and hypertrophy is what should be the focus, and some type of periodization and/or HST style program is great for this. Many powerlifters actually do a type of periodization training with Westside and other routines, be it knowingly or unknowingly. My 2 cents :)
Westside is conjugate periodization, beyotch! :D We do things knowingly in my universe, lol ;)

We cycle all sorts of stuff at the gym I work out at, mostly based on individual recovery and progress rather than a pre-devised plan. We cycle training intensity up then do a deload immediately before a meet as well.

And for the record, powerlifters just work out and eat harder than bodybuilders, that's where the thickness comes from ;)

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
And for the record, powerlifters just work out and eat harder than bodybuilders, that's where the thickness comes from ;)
ummkay, well whatever makes you feel good man :hammer: :trout:

Alot of powerlifters I know certainly do eat "harder" than BB'er's...... of course their protruding gut does also contribute to the "thickness" aspect of their physique :rasp: :icon_lol:

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
ummkay, well whatever makes you feel good man :hammer: :trout:

Alot of powerlifters I know certainly do eat "harder" than BB'er's...... of course their protruding gut does also contribute to the "thickness" aspect of their physique :rasp: :icon_lol:
Hey man, whatever brings your total up :D

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Hey man, whatever brings your total up :D
LOL. I like the "manly" 39inch waist.

I think it's a combination but thickness for me has always come when I shifted my routine to compound exercises and 4-6 rep range.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
As far as "thickness" goes I get best results from medium-rep deadlifts at a moderate intensity... 6-8 reps of heavy weight... ass-to-grass too not some sissy deadlift where the plates sit on the ground.... get on a platform and make your body beg for mercy! :hammer: