Deadlift PR

B3ast

B3ast

Awards
I have been doing deadlift for 5 weeks, started at 300x1, i hit 345x1, felt easy, 1 minute later, 355x1. I think i could have gotten 365x1.

No belt/chalk/straps, i think with them i may be pulling 405x1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7fExtaL7Ps

[video=youtube;r7fExtaL7Ps]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7fExtaL7Ps[/video]

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Congrats and Good job.

Couple of things from a technique perspective.

1. Keep your chin tucked the entire rep. Don't stick your head out and up as this takes the c-spine and thus other columns out of alignment.

2. Grip the bar and pull. I know you might be psyching yourself up, but all that bouncing around down there is really expending uneeded energy and might even influence overall force production.

Br

gymguy21

Awards
I have been doing deadlift for 5 weeks, started at 300x1, i hit 345x1, felt easy, 1 minute later, 355x1. I think i could have gotten 365x1.

No belt/chalk/straps, i think with them i may be pulling 405x1.

Nice work man chalk works great for me. Won't deadlift without it

uvawahoowa

Awards
Am I the only one that thinks DL'ing like this will almost surely lead to future injury? There is such exaggerated rounding in the lower back throughout the entire lift...

B3ast

B3ast

Awards
I have yet to get injured, and like doing it. How much weight does chalk add to your deadlift?

uvawahoowa

Awards
I have yet to get injured, and like doing it. How much weight does chalk add to your deadlift?
You've been deadlifting for 5 weeks. Improper form won't hurt you right away, look at all the morons doing quarter squats with collapsing knees. I'm just saying you are putting yourself at higher risk for injury doing it that way

B3ast

B3ast

Awards
Not a high risk if form is proper, nomsayin? I try to go form>weight, and so far it has been good.

gymguy21

Awards
Not really sure on the added weight but helped my grip strength alot more then straps did

gymguy21

Awards
You've been deadlifting for 5 weeks. Improper form won't hurt you right away, look at all the morons doing quarter squats with collapsing knees. I'm just saying you are putting yourself at higher risk for injury doing it that way
Def agree with this. Saw a guy at my gym with terribly rounded back and after he was done, tried saying something and he said " Im not into powerlifting, I know what I'm doing, I've been doing this for 20 years." I just walked away.

uvawahoowa

Awards
Someone said i had 405 in me with a belt and chalk
Oh well then you had better believe what this random person said

Look on YouTube for proper deadlifting form and compare yours to it

B3ast

B3ast

Awards
Lol nah, but i will be attempting 405 soon it is a good goal. I need to drop my hips a bit more, shove my chest out, and striaghten my back, but really my form is not atrocious, so i will not fix what isnt broken completely

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm with uvawahoowa on this. That was pretty terrible form. Good job on the pull but you really gotta work on dropping your hips further down before you pull and preventing the hips from shooting up before your back. You also really need to arch/straighten your lower back because it's definitely rounding, and nobody with proper form rounds.

gymguy21

Awards
Oh well then you had better believe what this random person said

Look on YouTube for proper deadlifting form and compare yours to it
Yeah I would hone in on form and be as strict as you can

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do these before your squats and deadlifts and they will improve your ability to get into position with a flat back:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/221104-squat-deadlift-mobility.html

If your typical training sets result in a rounded back such as we see in your maximal sets then you need to do a few things:
1. Lighten the load
2. Practice good technique (quality > quantity)
3. Increase glute and hamstring strength
4. Increase core strength

Br

TexasGuy

Awards
In to add OP needs to work on form.

Don't take it personally OP, everyone is just attempting to help you prevent injury. You can only play Russian roulette so many rounds until your luck is up.

gymguy21

Awards
In to add OP needs to work on form.

Don't take it personally OP, everyone is just attempting to help you prevent injury. You can only play Russian roulette so many rounds until your luck is up.
Form I think should always be number 1 vs the amount of weight on the bar. Injuries while lifting really suck

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Another vote for sloppy technique. Your lumbar is rounded throughout the 365 and that will lead to injury. Work specifically on your lower back and glute strength (Good Mornings are my go-to lift for this) while continuing to work on your technique with sub-maximal weights. It's not so much that it will hurt from a health perspective, but it will engrain a poor motor pattern.

What kinds of shoes are you wearing?

Mack411

Mack411

Awards
Another vote for sloppy technique. Your lumbar is rounded throughout the 365 and that will lead to injury. Work specifically on your lower back and glute strength (Good Mornings are my go-to lift for this) while continuing to work on your technique with sub-maximal weights. It's not so much that it will hurt from a health perspective, but it will engrain a poor motor pattern.

What kinds of shoes are you wearing?
i love me some good mornings.and i agree,op work on that form so ya dont hurt yourself.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Not bad man. I always like to make sure I get one weight down and comfortable 100% before I shoot for a new PR, though. Also, I couldn't tell from the video, but it looks like you set up with your shins on the bar right off the bat (sorry if I'm wrong on this, watched on my phone). If so, back up just a hair, so the bar is over mid-foot, that way when you bend at the knees, your shin touches at and angle. I made that adjustment a ways back when I started DL's and it helped a lot. Study, watch some good vids (the bad ones are obvious) THEN shoot for higher PR's! DL's are a lot of form and explosiveness. I'm 5'7" and only 155/160 and pulling 435....you'll get there if you keep at it!!

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
I tried to get a freeze frame of the video. Right about at 17 secs if you pause it you can see that your legs are at a little less than 180 degrees and you are almost doing a SLDL. They should be much closer to 90 degrees. You need to drop your hips and stick your chest out much more than you currently are. Just my .2

Ass up, chest out

B3ast

B3ast

Awards
Thanks, i will work on the form, dropping down and pushing chest out then exploding up. I am wearing running shoes with a bit of a raised heel, so it may have played a part in the form.

B3ast

B3ast

Awards
Anybody know a good deadlift form video? I am uncertain on how low to drop my hips

napalm

napalm

Awards
Lol nah, but i will be attempting 405 soon it is a good goal. I need to drop my hips a bit more, shove my chest out, and striaghten my back, but really my form is not atrocious, so i will not fix what isnt broken completely
Yes it is. Shoulders need to be behind the bar more at the start. Your initial movement off the floor is a pull with the erectors. This just plain sucks. You should be trying to push your feet through the floor with your initial movement. And my god get your hips lower and do some core and posterior chain assistance work to get that back straight.

I don't see a long and prosperous dl'ing career without some major changes. There's some smart people trying to give you a little advice, if it were me, I'd listen...

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Go to youtube and search "EliteFTS So you think can deadlift"
EFS has yet to release this series. Honestly, though, conventional deadlifts are not that hard to get. Sumo, on the other hand, is a bitch.

gymguy21

Awards
EFS has yet to release this series. Honestly, though, conventional deadlifts are not that hard to get. Sumo, on the other hand, is a bitch.
After looking again you are right. I should have just said just look up EliteFTS Deadlift. There are videos out there on that

calebsmitty

Awards
Honestly your back is not that bad. You will get some rounding attempting 90%+ but you need to find a program and work it. Increase reps to work on your form. Upper back work, etc like everyone has mentioned. Personally I wouldn't try taking it over 85% and pushing 1rm. Something simple like 531 works great for DL. Do the boring but big program. Probably take 90% of 365 as training max. After training sets just drop to 50-60% of training Max for 5 sets of 10. It works wonders but is brutal.

beastmode1987

beastmode1987

Awards
youtube .com/watch?v=1nRRlk6264I backspace on the .com cause i cannot post links yet cause i dont have 150 posts >

pmdied

Awards
I ditched my sneakers a few weeks back and it made a world of difference for me.

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Chuck Taylor's when squatting or deadlifting
^^true!!! I like my Oly lifting shoes for squatting, and barefoot for DL's
CT's are great too tho! Old school and useful!

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Chucks and I have some old old new balance that are pretty much slippers

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
The problem with those is that you can't put your weight on the outside of the foot.
I dunno, I wear Merrill "barefoot" shoes. Same basic idea as the vibrams and its not that hard, you just have to be aware of it in your initial setup to the bar.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dunno, I wear Merrill "barefoot" shoes. Same basic idea as the vibrams and its not that hard, you just have to be aware of it in your initial setup to the bar.
I've never had any issues either.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For squat or deads?

What do you wear and how big of a difference does that make?
Both. Proper footwear has not only increased my poundages, but also kept my healthy by keeping proper technique. For conventional, it's not as big of a deal of to put all of your weight on the outside of the foot, but it is essential for sumo.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Maybe why I haven't had any issues, I don't Sumo very often.

Knolls

Knolls

Awards
if you take criticism on form all personal and decide you know better you will end up getting hurt brutha, just check out some vids on proper form because most of the time if you eff your back up once it is a cronic problem that will plague you the rest of your life