HIT? Anyone tried it?

Mike71884

Awards
Friend loaned me a book that focuses on High Intensity Training. It's written by Ellington Darden. It's actually been a great read so far and a lot of the techniques and science behind it seems to make sense. Has anyone tried this routine? And if so what are your results. The program is on the complete opposite spectrum of the normal 1.5 hr split routine workout

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
^^^^ same question! HIIT or Hit.

High intensity interval training or just High Intensity Training itself.

Mike71884

Awards
HIT. No it's not interval training. It's a method created by Arthur jones. He invented the nautilus machines. Based on 1 full body workout. Each workout consists of 8-12 excersices. You perform only 1 set but its to maximum failure at the 8-12 rep zone. Workouts take around 25 mins and workout 3x a week. The key is intensity. For example this is the workout I did today
Leg curl 100lbs to failure at 12
Leg extension 120 lbs fail at 10
Leg press 400 lbs fail at 11
2 arm pullover 70 lbs dumbell 12
Bench press 225lbs fail at 13
Bent over row 185 fail at 8
Shoulder press 185 lbs fail at 8
Hammer curls 50 fail at 10
Tricep push downs 150 fail at 11
Took me about 20 mins and thought i was going to die when I got to leg press

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
i was under the impression hit also involed 1-2 warmup sets at 50% and 70% of the working set

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
HIT. No it's not interval training. It's a method created by Arthur jones. He invented the nautilus machines. Based on 1 full body workout. Each workout consists of 8-12 excersices. You perform only 1 set but its to maximum failure at the 8-12 rep zone. Workouts take around 25 mins and workout 3x a week. The key is intensity. For example this is the workout I did today
Leg curl 100lbs to failure at 12
Leg extension 120 lbs fail at 10
Leg press 400 lbs fail at 11
2 arm pullover 70 lbs dumbell 12
Bench press 225lbs fail at 13
Bent over row 185 fail at 8
Shoulder press 185 lbs fail at 8
Hammer curls 50 fail at 10
Tricep push downs 150 fail at 11
Took me about 20 mins and thought i was going to die when I got to leg press
looks like it was designed for conditioning moreso then building. Does the book address the function and when it should be used?

niners4reggie

niners4reggie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
looks like it was designed for conditioning moreso then building. Does the book address the function and when it should be used?
Ya I would agree. Looks like a great workout though

Lee Brown

Lee Brown

Awards
I've just ordered mike menzters book on HIT. Does anyone know if this is a good way to bulk?

Mike71884

Awards
Yes The mentzer brothers were trained by Arthur jones. The key to building muscle while doing HIT is to keep intensity up and rest on off days.

Lee Brown

Lee Brown

Awards
Thanks for the help. I also heard mike was a big believer in carbs to bulk. An that he felt you should take more carbs than protein each day. I only read this on Wikipedia so I don't know if it is true, and most people say more protein than carbs. Was just wondering what other people thought was more affective for bulking?

lboston

lboston

Awards
Thanks for the help. I also heard mike was a big believer in carbs to bulk. An that he felt you should take more carbs than protein each day. I only read this on Wikipedia so I don't know if it is true, and most people say more protein than carbs. Was just wondering what other people thought was more affective for bulking?
A lot of the older bbers from the 70s believed carbs to be essential in building and maintaining muscle. Their carb intake would probably surprise most of us. I think the thing that made it work though is that people ate much more whole foods and not so much refined and processed sh1t.

Lee Brown

Lee Brown

Awards
It's amazing how things change over time. So by training with HIT methods would you still need a pretty high carb intake what?

lboston

lboston

Awards
It's amazing how things change over time. So by training with HIT methods would you still need a pretty high carb intake what?
Well, I think that depends on what your goals would be. If you are wanting to maximize size, then I'd day yes, you definitely want to...they're typically essential to some extent on a "bulking" platform.

If fat loss is your desired outcome, then you may be more inclined to eat a lower carb diet.

Lee Brown

Lee Brown

Awards
Thanks for the help, we'll appreciated. Do you know of any good carb supplements to help? Or am I best trying to get all my carbs from whole foods?

lboston

lboston

Awards
Thanks for the help, we'll appreciated. Do you know of any good carb supplements to help? Or am I best trying to get all my carbs from whole foods?
I would just eat more oatmeal, sweet potatoes, whole wheats, etc. Probably much cheaper!

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
Im currently using a HIT training method and it is a bitch.

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
Care to share? I'd love to see it.
Basically just a version of what you see here. I do a warmup set for each and every exercise I do at no more than 50% max followed by one set to absolute failure focusing on TUT and staying within a 12 rep range. I find that this really taxes my system hard but also keeps volume to a minimum which is pertinent after a cycle in my opinion. Too easy to under eat and overtrain.

Sent from my iPhone

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I followed this exact book for a time. I liked it but I found it to work best with a training partner. As others have set intensity is key so negatives help plus the added motivation. Definitely good for those with time restraints and beat up joints.