Squat technique

yazan

yazan

Awards
Is there a "wrong way" to do squats? I mean my coach taught me to go down "like your taking a **** in the forest" and to keep ur back straight, to go low till your thighs r paralel with the ground, and to feel the burn. I was working out with my cousin the other day and he did squats by going down with a smaller ROM than me and sticking his ass out like a freakin stripper working a pole LOLOL. When he saw me squat he said I'm doing it all wrong.

Am I doing it wrong? I mean I figure if u keep your back straight so u dont hurt it and actually feel it in your quads than u r all good, right?

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like u are doing it right. Everybody's body is different but sounds like your friend is going to have a bad back when he gets older.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Without watching a vid it is difficult to critique :15:

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
this is impossible to critique by imagintion lol. idk how far he "sticks his ass out" but im sure you do as well to some degree, you just dont notice

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
you're supposed to stick your ass out some.

hip drive.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
there's a difference in how Olympians squat and how powerlifters squat. Your cousin probably initiates the squat with the hips first (stripper style as you call it) as it allows you to use more hamstring and glute instead of relying on your quads and keeps your knees from traveling in front of your toes

yazan

yazan

Awards
Next time we do legs day ill take some videos of each of us. Hopefully u guys can help out :)

But I did notice that as I get closer to my rm I can't drop down Paralel. At that Point am I going to heavy or is that normal?

And another off-topic question. Is squatting or leg-press better? I mean I can leg press somewhere around double my squat, so wouldn't it be better? Or am I missing something? At the school gym we had a leg press setup, but we never used it during wrestling and soccer conditioning, only squats. So I figure squatting is better, but why?

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Next time we do legs day ill take some videos of each of us. Hopefully u guys can help out :)

But I did notice that as I get closer to my rm I can't drop down Paralel. At that Point am I going to heavy or is that normal?

And another off-topic question. Is squatting or leg-press better? I mean I can leg press somewhere around double my squat, so wouldn't it be better? Or am I missing something? At the school gym we had a leg press setup, but we never used it during wrestling and soccer conditioning, only squats. So I figure squatting is better, but why?
century old agument. both really good exercises, but i think sqats are gonna get the win for most people here. i put clients on leg pressing though because squats are just too hard for beginners to understand and bad form = injury. leg press wins for obese, older people with arthritis, preg women, people on blood pressure meds, newbies, diabetics

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would use the squat as my first and best compound movement and the leg press as the finishing movement. I also would lighten the weight with the squat so going to paralell is the goal.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
over the years i have seen many studies done over this. i am sure they were those little bits at the front of muscular development. one thing i noticed consistently is when people did leg press they got better at the leg press and not the squat. squatters got better at both.

my thought is, does it help you reach your goals. i mean, for example an athlete. when is he on his back and pressing large amounts of weight up in the air while following a fixed path without the capacity for any variation in movement. and are you trying to only strengthen the legs or strengthen the body.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Squat>>>>Leg press

Incorporates the entire thighs and hips and is much more applicable to life. Many weaknesses in the kinetic chain can be exposed via squats and making small adjustments in technique and assistance lifts can pay dividends.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
I don't think anyone mentioned how great the squat is for the entire body. It'll strengthen your core, keeping tight activates many muscles outside of the legs and you're getting better muscle activation due to the unstable nature of free weights and the stabilization it takes to keep everything in check. With proper form, I would say the squat is the best exercise that exists. Period.

As for the differences between squatting and leg pressing, I think Ozzy said it best. Build the squat and your hams, glutes, back, everything will get stronger, in addition to your quads. Train the leg press and it's unlikely you'll see such comprehensive improvement due to the fixed plane motion of most leg press machines.

Do them both! But squat first.

yazan

yazan

Awards
I haven't forgot this thread. Tomorrow is leg day. Ill post vids of me and my cousin squating and hopefully you guys can give some pointers/critique our form.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
I haven't forgot this thread. Tomorrow is leg day. Ill post vids of me and my cousin squating and hopefully you guys can give some pointers/critique our form.
thisll be fun. hardly ever get to see a live critique on here. make aure you get a good angle, not some toaster camera where we only see the upper half of the movement. shoot from the side if you can only do one angle. otherwise move it around so we can get a dimensional look at it

yazan

yazan

Awards
thisll be fun. hardly ever get to see a live critique on here. make aure you get a good angle, not some toaster camera where we only see the upper half of the movement. shoot from the side if you can only do one angle. otherwise move it around so we can get a dimensional look at it
Sorry mate. I read your post too late :(. Idk how to post the vids. I'm going attach from photos but they don't appear, even in my camera rolls. Can anyone help?

yazan

yazan

Awards
Lol I do t know how to post vids. I tried going to attach from photos and couldn't find the vid. Anyone know how?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
create a YouTube account, upload to YouTube, post link in thread

Cordeen

Awards
  • Established
Squat to a depth so your hip bones are below your knee joints. It's a different exercise all together when you gotta power yourself "out of the hole" ...plus your quads and gluts will thank you.

It sucks and it works.

yazan

yazan

Awards
AM won't let me post links. I guess u gotta look me up on YouTube. I'm

Yazan Lpizra

I only got 2 vids anyway

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
tell your cousin to stop wearing the retarded lookin helmet head beatz to the gym before someone wlks up and shatters their hand while open-palm bitch slapping him for lookin so stupid

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
tell your cousin to stop wearing the retarded lookin helmet head beatz to the gym before someone wlks up and shatters their hand while open-palm bitch slapping him for lookin so stupid
So much win...

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
lol iand i dont wanna be a dick and i like both forms. but cmon hes doing the *** thing while squatting 135

yazan

yazan

Awards
The bar is way too high on your neck. It looks like it's resting on your freaking axis. The squat itself look good, but it's definitely too light to make any definitive assertions. Next time, record your set up before you unrack that bar. Most squats are lost at the unrack.
Idk what my axis is, but u know when u tilt your head forward and that bone thing starts showing in the middle of the back your your neck right above your shoulders? That's where it rests

And I had my cousin tape my second set. I forgot to ask on the 1st and would rather have a spotter on my last 2 sets. We do 4 sets. 12,8,6,4 with weight usually increasing per set. I ended up doing 225x4... Idk bout u guys but I was proud LOLOL. Still training to be a hulk...not there yet :)

Ill tape my setup next time, but I don't understand how that has anything to do with my squat technique

Lol that's amazing... My cousin didn't like it so much. Goes like " who is this kid? Ill mess him up" haha

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Idk what my axis is, but u know when u tilt your head forward and that bone thing starts showing in the middle of the back your your neck right above your shoulders? That's where it rests

And I had my cousin tape my second set. I forgot to ask on the 1st and would rather have a spotter on my last 2 sets. We do 4 sets. 12,8,6,4 with weight usually increasing per set. I ended up doing 225x4... Idk bout u guys but I was proud LOLOL. Still training to be a hulk...not there yet :)

Ill tape my setup next time, but I don't understand how that has anything to do with my squat technique

Lol that's amazing... My cousin didn't like it so much. Goes like " who is this kid? Ill mess him up" haha
Lol I would love to see that in real life.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
lol he aint gonna mess no one up with his record shattering 135lb squats. no offense to you op

yazan

yazan

Awards
lol he aint gonna mess no one up with his record shattering 135lb squats. no offense to you op
Haha nah it's fine. I started pretty much 2 weeks ago, and went up to 225x4 the other day. I feel pretty good about that. Those sets in the vids were our "warmup sets" is what I call them. Higher reps and lower weight.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Haha nah it's fine. I started pretty much 2 weeks ago, and went up to 225x4 the other day. I feel pretty good about that. Those sets in the vids were our "warmup sets" is what I call them. Higher reps and lower weight.
next video you take, don't take it of your warmup sets

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Your axis is a bone on your neck and the bar should not rest on your neck; it should be on your traps. Your setup is the most important part of a heavy squat because you must have complete tightness in the upper back and take the bar out of the rack properly or you will fail on the squat.

<<------has a 705 squat.

yazan

yazan

Awards
Your axis is a bone on your neck and the bar should not rest on your neck; it should be on your traps. Your setup is the most important part of a heavy squat because you must have complete tightness in the upper back and take the bar out of the rack properly or you will fail on the squat.

<<------has a 705 squat.
Leg day today. My cousin worked late so I went to the gym alone. So no vids lol. But I tried having the bar rest on the middle of my shoulders rather than my axis. It did feel a lot less painful lol.