65 deadlifts in one day? (5/3/1)

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
So I've just begun 5/3/1 and everything is great. I chose to do the BBB assistance work and with deadlift day approaching I have my concerns. I've never had any luck with high volume deadlifts and all it seems to do is give me a sore back. I've also heard a lot of people advise against doing high volume deadlifts so I'm wondering how to approach this.

I have the 5/3/1 book (2nd edition) and didn't see this answered anywhere within.

Thanks for the help guys

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is the main reason I advise against the BBB template. I'm not a fan of high rep deads or bench.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes BBB is one of the templates you can use, and yes it will consist of the extra sets of deadlifts how Wendler prescribes. He wouldn't have put it in the book if you weren't supposed to do it. Keep in mind it's at a much lighter weight than your 5/3/1 sets.

I would recommend looking at the Periodization Bible or the Triumviant.

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Yes BBB is one of the templates you can use, and yes it will consist of the extra sets of deadlifts how Wendler prescribes. He wouldn't have put it in the book if you weren't supposed to do it. Keep in mind it's at a much lighter weight than your 5/3/1 sets.

I would recommend looking at the Periodization Bible or the Triumviant.
I've heard a lot of good things about Tate's but not so sure I understand it. Are there any good links to check it out? And the triumviant is just two assistance excercises correct?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've heard a lot of good things about Tate's but not so sure I understand it. Are there any good links to check it out? And the triumviant is just two assistance excercises correct?
They're both well covered in the book.

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Pg. 48-51. It's in the freaking ToC.
I downloaded mine so I guess mine isn't complete because page 48 for my copy is "Meet Preparation Training for the Raw Lifter" Appreciate the help never the less

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sounds like you're looking at the "5/3/1 for powerlifters" manual, not the "5/3/1 manual 2nd edition."

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Look in the assistance template section. They're templates #2 and #4.
Yea my book only has one template in the assistance section. Looks like just a triumvirate template. Thanks for your help though

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Sounds like you're looking at the "5/3/1 for powerlifters" manual, not the "5/3/1 manual 2nd edition."
Yup that's it..sorry for the confusion my bad guys

boogyman

Awards
I do BBB for bench and squat, and a different accessory template on deadlift and shoulder press day.

boogyman

Awards
I have been doing zercher squats as an accessory to deadlifts and having good results. I do five sets of five at a moderate weight.

napalm

napalm

Awards
I have been doing zercher squats as an accessory to deadlifts and having good results. I do five sets of five at a moderate weight.
I've been thinking about these lately. What do you consider a moderate weight? Can't try them until my torn brachialis heals.

boogyman

Awards
I've been thinking about these lately. What do you consider a moderate weight? Can't try them until my torn brachialis heals.
As i had not done them since highschool, i started with 135 and added 10 lbs each session until i found a good weight. This way i could work on form, i try and get good reps concentrating on using lots of hip drive. I have been adding five lbs every mesocycle since finding my initial weight.

napalm

napalm

Awards
As i had not done them since highschool, i started with 135 and added 10 lbs each session until i found a good weight. This way i could work on form, i try and get good reps concentrating on using lots of hip drive. I have been adding five lbs every mesocycle since finding my initial weight.
How hard are they on the biceps?

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't find them too hard on the biceps. I just use my arms as a cradle and try not to squeeze it to me as hard.

napalm

napalm

Awards
I don't find them too hard on the biceps. I just use my arms as a cradle and try not to squeeze it to me as hard.
I'll have to give them a try after the brachialis heals.

boogyman

Awards
Its not that bad. Its not comfortable by any means, but its manageable.