keeping bb bench strength up - AnabolicMinds.com

keeping bb bench strength up

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  203 lbs.

keeping bb bench strength up

Ok well I've been doing db presses for a month with 100's 3*5-8...I use to bb bench a lot but felt a better stretch with dumbbells...anyway my max was 285 before I switched to db..I benched yesterday and I only repped out 3 with 265...just making sure it's normal to lose bench strength after atleast a month of bot performing the movement...what's weird is my incline bb bench is going up even if I switch to db incline for a couple weeks....just making sure this is normal, my form is good, only feel the pectorals being stimulated

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Are you worried about your bench strength or chest stimulation? They are completely different objectives.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  203 lbs.

True sorry, more of concern for strength loss.. basically just want to make sure it's normal to lose strength if you stop bb benching for atleast a month...
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

It's common to lose a little strength in something that you haven't done, but I can tell you that your form is not ideal for strength since you're feeling only the pecs.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  203 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    It's common to lose a little strength in something that you haven't done, but I can tell you that your form is not ideal for strength since you're feeling only the pecs.
    You have a point....I haven't doubted my form before, but obviously somethings off....my shoulders are locked in, back arched ,a slow negative followed by an explosive press....palms shoulder width....it's gotta be my grip....I keep my thumbs out, I know I'm asking for the bar to slip on my trachea...I'll work on my grip and study perfect form for bench press...
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'4"  205 lbs.

Don't forget about below the belt.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by blaykeryan View Post
    Ok well I've been doing db presses for a month with 100's 3*5-8...I use to bb bench a lot but felt a better stretch with dumbbells...anyway my max was 285 before I switched to db..I benched yesterday and I only repped out 3 with 265...just making sure it's normal to lose bench strength after atleast a month of bot performing the movement...what's weird is my incline bb bench is going up even if I switch to db incline for a couple weeks....just making sure this is normal, my form is good, only feel the pectorals being stimulated
    Wouldn't 3x265 convert to an estimated 290 max?
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by uvawahoowa View Post

Wouldn't 3x265 convert to an estimated 290 max?
    Email me for free prodigy samples
    Ricky@pni-online.com
    www.pni-online.com
  9. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Using the conventional 1RM calculator ((weightXrepsX.0333)+weight), would be ~291lbs, but a multi rep max is different from a 1RM and there is error in the formula.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  203 lbs.

My max would be around that, yes...but I would rather get 3-5 reps with 275 before I max and only get one...prolly a dumb question, but when you get a one rep max does that really result in growth? I know it depends in your goals and all, and maxing out will increase strength, which will lead to growth so I prolly just answered my question ha, back in my teens when I was ignorant and ran cycles constantly I maxed out at 335 and jacked my shoulder up, so I'm very conscious about going too heavy
  11. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by blaykeryan View Post
    My max would be around that, yes...but I would rather get 3-5 reps with 275 before I max and only get one...prolly a dumb question, but when you get a one rep max does that really result in growth? I know it depends in your goals and all, and maxing out will increase strength, which will lead to growth so I prolly just answered my question ha, back in my teens when I was ignorant and ran cycles constantly I maxed out at 335 and jacked my shoulder up, so I'm very conscious about going too heavy
    No. Maximal strength has more to do with CNS programming, but the assistance work done to strengthen weaknesses can result in hypertrophy.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  203 lbs.

Oh ok that makes sense...thanks you are pretty helpful...I'm going to work on bench strength because after I finish police academy I want to do a pl meet...squats and deads are my stronger lifts...I have a lot of research to do about pl training
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Am I gripping the BB too close for bench pressing?
    By Rock Lee in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 07:49 PM
  2. Post BB comp strength loss
    By uvawahoowa in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2012, 08:55 AM
  3. Flat BB bench press I don't like you no mo'
    By AutoKal47 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-27-2012, 12:54 PM
  4. bench: feet up