Ab/core training

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Can anyone reccomend a hip flexor friendly program for building abs.. Not super bulky ones ;)

Trying to change up from my usual routines

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ab Wheel/Fallouts
Real Hanging Leg Raises (suspended in the air from a pullup bar and ROM is dead hang to heels to the ceiling)
Standing Cable Crunches
Trunk Rotations

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ab Wheel/Fallouts
Real Hanging Leg Raises (suspended in the air from a pullup bar and ROM is dead hang to heels to the ceiling)
Standing Cable Crunches
Trunk Rotations
Hmm I do all those.. Perhaps it's just a bf issue.. I feel like it's getting stale tho.. I'll even do drop sets and partials/holds.. Idk lol must be my add! Lol

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ab training doesn't need to be complicated. They're, IMO, the most misunderstood muscle group out there in this regard.

riddles

riddles

Awards
This is a quick ab routine I like to do:
20 sit-ups
20 crunches
20 side-to-side heel touches (2-count: touching each heel once counts as 1)
20 flutter kicks (4-count)
20 Hello Darlings (4-count)
20 Mad Russians (2-count)
20 side crunches left
20 side crunches right
30 sec plank
30 sec side plank left
30 sec side plank right

Run through them start to finish with no rest besides transition time. You will feel the burn. I usually do this at the end of my workout. Right now I workout 5 days a week, so I hit abs 5x week. I usually only do one set, but every now and then I will do two. I'm also a fan of hitting a set here and there of various weighted ab exercises between my main lifts.

The flutter kicks may aggrevate your hipflexors, especially if your not used to them. You can sub those out for a different exercise or cut them out and maybe up the reps for everything else. The point to this routine is multiple exercises with minimal to no rest. These are just the particular exercises I like. You can sub in/out any ab exercises you wish, its up to you. This is a good ab endurance routine for me.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is a quick ab routine I like to do:
20 sit-ups
20 crunches
20 side-to-side heel touches (2-count: touching each heel once counts as 1)
20 flutter kicks (4-count)
20 Hello Darlings (4-count)
20 Mad Russians (2-count)
20 side crunches left
20 side crunches right
30 sec plank
30 sec side plank left
30 sec side plank right

Run through them start to finish with no rest besides transition time. You will feel the burn. I usually do this at the end of my workout. Right now I workout 5 days a week, so I hit abs 5x week. I usually only do one set, but every now and then I will do two. I'm also a fan of hitting a set here and there of various weighted ab exercises between my main lifts.

The flutter kicks may aggrevate your hipflexors, especially if your not used to them. You can sub those out for a different exercise or cut them out and maybe up the reps for everything else. The point to this routine is multiple exercises with minimal to no rest. These are just the particular exercises I like. You can sub in/out any ab exercises you wish, its up to you. This is a good ab endurance routine for me.
Thanks for the routine man I do something similar one day a week. The other 2 days are mostly weighted work

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Eric has some killer abs I'd ask him in his thread brother

riddles

riddles

Awards
Thanks for the routine man I do something similar one day a week. The other 2 days are mostly weighted work
Anytime man....also, on days I feel like changing it up, I will do various medicine ball ab exercises that are usually explosive in regards to ROM. Ex. side wall throws, ball slams, overhead throws. Of course you have to have the appropriate space to do these though. These always seem to do the trick for me.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cable crunches on a swiss ball are one of my favorite for abdominal development. The trick is that you need to forcefully contract your glutes in order to shift your pelvis from APT to neutral or slightly posterior tilt. You also need to squeeze your ribs into your hips, its a short (2-4") ROM. Setting the pelvis and keeping glutes forcefully contracted will ensure two things: 1. optimal length tensions ratio for abs, and 2. glute activation will reciprocally antagonize the hip flexors, or keep them as much out of the movement as possible.

Also check out dragon flags.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cable crunches on a swiss ball are one of my favorite for abdominal development. The trick is that you need to forcefully contract your glutes in order to shift your pelvis from APT to neutral or slightly posterior tilt. You also need to squeeze your ribs into your hips, its a short (2-4") ROM. Setting the pelvis and keeping glutes forcefully contracted will ensure two things: 1. optimal length tensions ratio for abs, and 2. glute activation will reciprocally antagonize the hip flexors, or keep them as much out of the movement as possible.

Also check out dragon flags.
Nice Thanks! Dragon flags lol I've seen em

aperez203

Awards
I've always heard that working your abs everyday does more harm than good for development of your abs.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've always heard that working your abs everyday does more harm than good for development of your abs.
Same.. I found much better results 3 x a week with a day in between each session to be best for me