Tough mudder

ralFMann

ralFMann

Awards
I'm starting to train for the Pittsburgh tough mudder and I'm not sure what to do. Please help!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What is your current training like? Toug Mudder isn't that bad. They are about 10-13 miles long so obviously cardio and knowing you can cover that distance is key.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

SpittyKitty

SpittyKitty

Awards
I'm starting to train for the Pittsburgh tough mudder and I'm not sure what to do. Please help!
I did my first TM in November, was amazing and cant wait for my next! Only advice is good all-round fitness. I hit the gym 5 days a week anyway with a balance of cardio (mainly running) and weights! I also did some extra sessions using the Insanity workout, just to notch it up! Looking back I wish I worked on my upper body strength more though as you really need it!

Other than that, have a good team with you (sharing the lows and highs is essential) and get your mental grit in check! Good luck :)

B

boogyman

Awards
I second the mental thing. Most people in decent shape can complete it in a good time, but the being cold, wet, uncomfortable part ruins a lot of people. I am opposite most people in that I prefer to go at these events alone without a team, I suck myself into my own little world and just blast through it. I get myself into the mindset of just keep moving forward at a fast pace and not stopping.

ralFMann

ralFMann

Awards
I workout 4 to 5 times a week with split routines and do my cardio at local parks with exercise stations at them. My stamina is very low and I'm having trouble getting it higher because I quit smoking a little over a year ago but never did any cardio to help my breathing get better until lately. I'm super pumped for this event I just feel like I don't have enough time to prepare because it's in August in Pittsburgh.

thyrod

thyrod

Awards
I got tm coming up next month that I'm certainly not ready for. Due to poor lungs but I'm just gonna wing it.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I workout 4 to 5 times a week with split routines and do my cardio at local parks with exercise stations at them. My stamina is very low and I'm having trouble getting it higher because I quit smoking a little over a year ago but never did any cardio to help my breathing get better until lately. I'm super pumped for this event I just feel like I don't have enough time to prepare because it's in August in Pittsburgh.

You have pleeeeenty of time if you are running it in August.

Just keep with the lifting plan that you like and continue to incorporate cardio. Specifically running. I do however like the C2 Rower as an alternative. The main focus should still be on running. If you are not sure on a good cardio plan I would suggest looking into Crossfit Endurance. You do not need to do the Crossfit workout portion. Just follow the endurance/cardio workout for running and use that to supplement your lifting. It's a lot of HIIT type stuff. Occasionally works in a few longer runs, but for the most part they are of higher intensity/shorter duration. Follow that for the next 8 months and you'll fly through the TM.

A

aperez203

Awards
Best of luck with that. Me and a couple of friends are planning on doing a TM in May in Boston. Looking at the videos and obstacles I would recommend HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) keeps your cardio up and works o your strength which you will definitely need. Helps with improving your recovery time and muscle endurance.

Rob94hawk

Rob94hawk

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I did the Tough Mudder at Englishtown NJ back in November 2010 when it was 45 degrees but yours will be the opposite since it's in August. I recommend running 8-10 miles twice a week and some HIIT in between. Pullups for those long ass monkey bars. And most important of all believe it or not, stretching. <--I highly emphasize this. By mile 10 my quads were killing me and I had to jump over a creek spanning at least 10 feet and this was all BEFORE those long ass monkey bars:
pg2_monkey_bars_576.jpg

lamonster14

lamonster14

Awards
Where's this mudder at in the burgh? I live about 25 miles north of Pitt

B

boogyman

Awards
The hardest one I did was Bear Creak PA. They stopped having it there due to all the injuries, the terrain was really rough. Lots of big broken rocks covered in mud. Basically running up and down a ski slop with no snow and big rocks instead. The Englishtown and Pocono mudders were cake compared to Bear Creak. I ran by a guy (first aid had already arrived) that injured his leg in such a way that his kneecap was actually on top of the lower part of his thigh muscle. Tons of broken and twisted ankles, stuff like that.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
Work on grip strength. I think the others above covered most of the other important stuff.

ralFMann

ralFMann

Awards
Where's this mudder at in the burgh? I live about 25 miles north of Pitt
The exact location for the mudder hasn't been given yet but they said within a 15-20 mile radius I believe.

I definitely need to work on my grip strength, which is one great thing about local parks; they have plenty of monkey bars. Plus, I love doing deadlifts and pull-ups (although my pull-up grip is what I lack in...). I do enjoy the HIIT and now that it was mentioned it makes sense to do it more often.