Beginner's sprinting program

Big Ry

Awards
Hello. I am looking for a good beginner's sprinting program. I have been cutting for some time now and I think I'm really starting to hit a plateau on the weight loss. I used to be a pretty big guy. I've lost 80 lbs since about 2007 (weight has fluctuated though). I'm still well short of single digit BF or anything, though i have no idea what my current BF is (currently 6'-4" and 245 lbs if that is any indication). I lift 4x a week and have been focusing on higher intensity workouts (8-12 rep sets, 30-60 second breaks, many drop sets and supersets). My diet consists of egg whites, ground turkey, chicken breast, oats, cottage cheese, natty PB, olive oil, brown rice, black beans, and oats...almost exclusively. I also supplement with casein/egg/beef protein in the AM and whey+dextrose post-WO. My macros are in the ballpark of 30f/40p/30c. My goal is to get to single digit BF. I really have never been a fan of running/jogging...I find it boring and tedious. I never end up sticking with any running program I've ever began. I pushed through the shin splints and dealt with the exercise induced asthma, but I just can't get over how time consuming low intensity training is. I'd really like to give sprinting a shot for many reasons. First and foremost, it should help me get over any plateau. But also sprints are generally a quicker workout than low intensity training, they're supposed to help build legs and core, they're supposed to increase metabolism (I have a very slow metabolism), and they're supposed to give you energy. I also suffer from narcolepsy, so I'm willing to try just about anything that will give me more energy! If you know of a good program that matches my goals, please post it here. Thanks.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Westside barbell template with periodization.

Eat clean, remove gluten and get sleep.

Sprints-

Work on 40 and 50m sprints with a longer sprint day like 200m in once a week.

Sprint day 1 maybe do 5x70m at 85% rest 1min in between each 200m then do 10x40m with 30secs rest.

Day 2- 5x 400m 2mins rest,
8x50m

-Chris
EBF Rep
Mobile App

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
You can also look into Crossfit Endurance. Not saying to do the actual crossfit part of you do not want to, but do the endurance portion. Pick one sport, running if that's what you want and follow that workout on top of your current lifting program or whatever lifting program you like. Do the endurance workout approx. 3hrs before or after your lifting.

It's focused more on sprinting, HIIT, etc and does not incorporate much long distance steady state. They tend to be shorter and more intense.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

Big Ry

Awards
Westside barbell template with periodization.

Eat clean, remove gluten and get sleep.

Sprints-

Work on 40 and 50m sprints with a longer sprint day like 200m in once a week.

Sprint day 1 maybe do 5x70m at 85% rest 1min in between each 200m then do 10x40m with 30secs rest.

Day 2- 5x 400m 2mins rest,
8x50m

-Chris
EBF Rep
Mobile App
Thanks.

I don't think I want to change my lifting routine. It works well for me, and I don't think a routine geared more toward powerlifting would suit my goals.

As for that sprinting routine, that seems awfully ambitious for a beginner (compared to others I've read). But I guess I just need to get out on a track and see where I stand. I don't really have any experience with this at all, so I have no idea what to expect from myself.

Big Ry

Awards
You can also look into Crossfit Endurance. Not saying to do the actual crossfit part of you do not want to, but do the endurance portion. Pick one sport, running if that's what you want and follow that workout on top of your current lifting program or whatever lifting program you like. Do the endurance workout approx. 3hrs before or after your lifting.

It's focused more on sprinting, HIIT, etc and does not incorporate much long distance steady state. They tend to be shorter and more intense.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
Thanks. I will look into this too.