Thoughts on programs like P90X - AnabolicMinds.com

Thoughts on programs like P90X

1. New Member
    Answers

Post Thoughts on programs like P90X

Just wondering your thoughts on Programs like P90X Insanity, etc.? Since men and women have lost weight gained weight if they ate enough and gained muscle doing these program's heck even Sagi Kalev a pro bodybuilder joined the company and put out Body Beast and in home Bodybuilding workout program.

So just wondering your thoughts on these programs?

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  182 lbs.
    Answers

I love P90X. However its not tailored to gain muscle mass. It will increase your cardio output, muscle endurance, fat loss (assuming diet is good), and perhaps put a little muscle on you. But if you play sports or are an endurance athlete this is where it will shine.

Most importantly though, it'll improve your overall health that's for sure.
  3. New Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Cordeen View Post
    I love P90X. However its not tailored to gain muscle mass. It will increase your cardio output, muscle endurance, fat loss (assuming diet is good), and perhaps put a little muscle on you. But if you play sports or are an endurance athlete this is where it will shine.

My thoughts exactly!
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Programs like these are some of the worst things to come down the pipeline. There's no organization, progression schemes, and, worst of all, they're horrible imbalanced in terms of planar focus.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Cordeen View Post

I concur with Rodja. And these are some of reasons why P90X is not appropriate for athletes - be it endurance or team sports.

To build power, power needed for explosiveness, doing plyometrics to fatigue and high rep body weight exercises are not optimal.

Br
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  182 lbs.
    Answers

Just my opinion. It worked for me immensely and still does. I feel great , especially from the plyometrics. Any lose basketball on the court is mine solely due to the explosiveness I gain. Sprints and intervals while training for my marathon take less a toll on my hips because of it. I shredded 10 min of my half marathon time because of plyo. My vertical jump increased from 36 to 40 inches because of it.

But that's just my own personal results.
  7. New Member
    Answers

I've competed Insanity a few times and think its awesome - my overall fitness is pretty good anyway, I hit the gym, play squash and run but the 60 day program kicked my ass. It definitely boosted my all round stamina and speed (which I noticed in playing squash) and helped shed a few stubborn pounds. Muscle wise, yes it helped with overall leanness and toning but I wasn't henched lol - so don't recommend it if that's what you're looking to achieve!!
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Way too much money considering its just met con and hiit. You don't need to pay at least a 100 bucks to write up a program similar to them with some research and creativity.

Also... IMO They don't provide enough stimulation for growth in your lats and legs. Dumbells and body weight training will only cause so much growth especially at maximal reps until a plateau is met which is what they don't tell you in the infomercials.
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Answers

too many ppl have seen "desired" results on the programs for them to be completely dismissed
  10. New Member
    Answers

I've done the P90x and Insanity workouts to compare results. P90x is geared for muscle toning and weight loss. Insanity workout is geared to just weight loss. It all depends on what your looking to achieve.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by aperez203 View Post
    P90x is geared for muscle toning and bla bla bla.
    In physiology, medicine, and anatomy, muscle tone (residual muscle tension or tonus) is the continuous and passive partial contraction of the muscles, or the muscle’s resistance to passive stretch during resting state.[1] It helps maintain posture, and it declines during REM sleep.

so if i stand up i am tone. that is sooooooo p90 extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeme! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  12. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by aperez203 View Post
    I've done the P90x and Insanity workouts to compare results. P90x is geared for muscle toning and weight loss. Insanity workout is geared to just weight loss. It all depends on what your looking to achieve.
    The concept of "muscle toning" is only marketing. The "tone" of a muscle comes from a reduction of BF and not from a specific exercise and/or program.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  13. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Answers

"there is no such thing as firming and toning; there is only stronger and weaker."

-Mark Rippetoe
  14. New Member
    Answers

I completed P90 years ago and increased cardio capacity, P90x was supposed to turn me into a beast. It didn't. I did get a torn pec/shoulder problem out of it and that lead to some needed medical care which now has me on track with Heavy Duty. Is it a good program? Depends on your goals.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Thoughts on this workout program
    By mondata in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-31-2013, 10:31 AM
  2. Thoughts on my program?
    By matthewmmcc in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-12-2012, 03:11 PM
  3. thoughts on new training program
    By darkshadow in forum Training Forum