Advice on training.

Seabee1507

Awards
I am looking for some advice on training such as different schedules and style. I have been in the gym for years now and i have always fell into the category that always lifts as heavy all the time as i can with the common idea that i want to get bigger and bigger. i always say after i hit the next goal in what ever movement im doing im going to switch my routine and gear it to more of a higher rep/cutting routine. however, on the same note every time i hit said goal (Bench 350 was the big one for me). i cant help but want to move up to the next level (Bench 375). currently most of my workouts are a 3-4 sets with 5 reps each.

I am 23, 6', 225 Lbs, ~16%-17% BF. and workout for about 75 Min M-F. in that 75 Min window only 15 Min of it is set for cardio work which usually consist of running or walking on treadmill at steep incline. My diet is decent (not where it needs to be, but willing to get it there with some advice).

Basically what im looking for is some direction on how to modify my routine to help drop around 15 Lbs of fat while maintaining as much muscle as possible.

My routine is as followed:

Mon - Chest & Tri
BB Bench
DB Flat Press
DB Decline
BB incline
Flys
BB Decline
Tri Press down (Cable)
Tri Rev Grip pulls (Cable)
DB tri raises
Dips

Tues - Shoulder - Traps
DB Shrug
BB Shrug
upright rows
DB shoulder press
DB Lateral raises
DB front raises

Wed - Legs
BB Box Squat
Front Squat
Leg lift machine
Leg curl machine
Calf raises
Lunges
Goblet squat

Thurs - Back and Bi
BB Curls
BB Curls with "Fat Grips"
Preacher curl with Straight bar
Standing curls with cable
Hammer curls
cable fly with mid back squeeze
T-bar Row
Lat pull down

Fri - ???
Typically the same as monday....

Please look at this mess of a plan and help me out.

Thank you

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
3 weeks: 3 full body workouts per week, 3 sessions of sprints/prowler per week
2 weeks: 2 upper/lower workouts per week, prowler 2x/week after upper body days, sprints 1x a week
1 week: your typical 5 day split + lower intensity cardio for 15 minutes post workout (quasi unloading)
Repeat.

Br

BPjohn123

BPjohn123

Awards
3 weeks: 3 full body workouts per week, 3 sessions of sprints/prowler per week
2 weeks: 2 upper/lower workouts per week, prowler 2x/week after upper body days, sprints 1x a week
1 week: your typical 5 day split + lower intensity cardio for 15 minutes post workout (quasi unloading)
Repeat.

Br
Jason , this for someone trying to mix things up ? Or recommended for anyone?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Jason , this for someone trying to mix things up ? Or recommended for anyone?
Its more for the above poster, and what he is looking to do and what he has been doing.

I suggest periodizing one way or another. What I suggested above is a very rough outline of some block periodization. The first block could be strength, the second hypertrophy, and then 1 week a work tolerance.

Br

Seabee1507

Awards
Jason,

I hope i do not sound like an idiot, but, im a little bit confused on what your recommendation is. im sure it is obvious but can you elaborate a little more for me? what would you conciser "Full body workouts"? and what is "Prowler"

From what i can tell you think i should do a 3 week block with a full body workouts 3 days a week with 3 additional sessions devoted to sprints and prowlers. then, 2 weeks block of 2 upper days and 2 lower days with prowlers on only upper days and a day of sprints. and finally a week of a typical 5 day split with some low intensity cardio sessions.

i know i just said exactly what you said with more words. it helped me understand tho. can you give examples of full body workouts vs. upper/lower? and what would you call a good sprint day (how many sprints at what distance)?

thank you for the advice

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Prowler is a sled you push.

Full body workouts should be something like this
Lower exercise (squat)
Upper pull (bent over row)
Upper push (bench press)
lower single leg ancillry
upper single arm ancillary
core work

Lower (deadlift)
Upper vertical push(push press)
Upper vertical pull (pull up)
ancillaries and core like above

rotate these with varying rep ranges for the 3 weeks block

Then, increase volume and split over an upper/lower One upper day for vertical and one for horizontal. One lower day for squat and one for deadlift.

Sprints will depend on conditioning. Perhaps 8 x 100m @ 90% speed for the first session. Then increasing involume, distance, or speed from there.

Br