Shoulder day!!

handzilla

Awards
  • Established
Bobo, I know you said shoulders are small and shouldn't be hit hard every week. So I was wondering if you could possibly critique my shoulder day. Thanks in advance for any advice.

4 Supersets(dropset on 4th): Cuban Press w/ Plate raises
3 sets (drop on 3rd) Arnold Press
3 sets Lying Side laterals
3 Supersets (drop on 3rd): standing side laterals w/ standing shrugs
4 Supersets: Rear barbell shrugs w/ seated shrugs
3 Supersets: Rows to chest (rear delt) w/ bent over lateral raises

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
20 sets for shoulders is insane IMHO. especially all those drop sets. do you recover? do you ever go up in strength?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
1. Don't make a shoulder day.

2. Don't do more than 4-6 sets per day. I do a total of 8 sets per week, thats is.

Mnay people will disagree, but that is what I do and it works very well.

handzilla

Awards
  • Established
20 sets for shoulders is insane IMHO. especially all those drop sets. do you recover? do you ever go up in strength?
Yes and yes. But I have shoulder injuries kinda often.

handzilla

Awards
  • Established
1. Don't make a shoulder day.

2. Don't do more than 4-6 sets per day. I do a total of 8 sets per week, thats is.

Mnay people will disagree, but that is what I do and it works very well.
No more than 4-6 sets or excercises and do you mean for shoulder or for body part?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No more than 4-6 sets TOTAL of shoulder exercises. I do Arnold presses the majority of the time, thats it.

handzilla

Awards
  • Established
No more than 4-6 sets TOTAL of shoulder exercises. I do Arnold presses the majority of the time, thats it.
And I see from that your caps are pretty jacked. I think I blast mine entirely too hard.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Many make this mistake. Its simply is not that large of a muscle and gets hit indirectly by many other exercises during chest/back workouts.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
totally love arnold's for 4 sets followed by 2 sets of sloooooow side laterals following a chest workout.

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
i have friday for shoulders only - 3 sets arnold press and 2 sets of side lat raises, but i think i am going to switch that to upright rows to get the indirect work on my traps...

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Yes and yes. But I have shoulder injuries kinda often.
Your workout may be a reason for that. That's a ton of shoulder work and as Bobo said Delts are small.

I work Delts after Chest so I do 3 sets of Arnolds, 2 sets of lateral raises, 2 sets for rear delts.

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
Your workout may be a reason for that. That's a ton of shoulder work and as Bobo said Delts are small.

I work Delts after Chest so I do 3 sets of Arnolds, 2 sets of lateral raises, 2 sets for rear delts.
if you do rowing and or deadlifts, why work rear delts directly at all?

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
if you do rowing and or deadlifts, why work rear delts directly at all?
I do rowing movements on a seperate day. And I haven't been able to do deads because of knee probs. I don't always do them but their nice to throw in the mix with reverse pec dec work.

handzilla

Awards
  • Established
I think I'll cut out the Cubans for a while and there is probably no need to do a whole 3 sets of standing lat raises after the lying side raises. But I do find that my traps respond well to high volume.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
traps arent shoulders...

20 sets of shoulders is prolly why you have injuries and pain

i do about 8 sets of direct shoulders a week between two workouts... this involves arnolds, lat raises, and the hammer strength machine

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Many make this mistake. Its simply is not that large of a muscle and gets hit indirectly by many other exercises during chest/back workouts.
How many sets do you recommend for back? And, do you lessen your overall # of sets when / if you incorporate deadlifts???

thx in advance ;)
....no shoulder day..
So basically you'd do, for example, front delts on chest day and rear on back day, at about 4 sets each???

I.E.
M: Quads
T: Hams
W: Chest / Front Delts
Th: Back / Rear Delts
F: Arms
Sa: off
Su: off

is that similar to what you're talking about?

meathead1987

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
That split looks terrible!

Hams the day after quads? I can only think of 1 lift that uses quads and not hams. Why not have them the same day.

Arms the day after back?

Where are calves.

I would do

Mon/Thu upper
Tue/Sat lower

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
How many sets do you recommend for back? And, do you lessen your overall # of sets when / if you incorporate deadlifts???

thx in advance ;)
So basically you'd do, for example, front delts on chest day and rear on back day, at about 4 sets each???

I.E.

Nope, not at all.

I can't give EVERYTHING away!!!! :icon_lol:

I usually incorpate shoulders w/ chest then hit them again during Bi's later in the week.

kmac6225

king of useless information!!!
Awards
  • Established

I.E.

YIKES! That doesn't seem like a productive split

Take a look at this...

Day 1: Chest/Shoulder/Tris (Incline, Lat Raises, Weighted Dips, Flies)
off
Day 3: Legs/Abs (calves, quads and hams) (leg press calf raises, squats, SLDL)
off
Day 5: Back/Bis (Pull downs/ Weighted Pullups, Hammer Strength Rows, Straight bar curls)
off
Repeat

I do 3-4 working sets per body part for each exercise w/ proper warm ups and rest b/t each set. I know that sounds dumb but I take more time off b/t sets than most ppl.

I'm a big fan of variety so I have two different workouts for that split, I listed some of the lifts I use. It's worked well for me both in terms of strength gains, recovery and size.

Sorry to ramble on - good luck

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I can't give EVERYTHING away!!!! :icon_lol: ....
So you think ;)...If I stick around long enough, I just may get it all :D j/k

I understand, always worth a shot :lol: thx for that bit of info though ;)

YIKES! That doesn't seem like a productive split...
LOL, that's not my normal routine...my normal routine may not be much better, though...lol...maybe I'll post a thread about it so I don't hijack anymore :D

I know muscles grow when you're resting, but I have a hard time hitting the gym only 3 days a week. ;) I've done it before. I just like to be in and out before my cort levels start to skyrocket and if I did 3 day workouts, I'd be in forever!!