2 Bench questions

Page 2 of 2 First 12

  1. Quote Originally Posted by squatting View Post
    Error loading video
    I only know how to post vids at bbing.com as I can't seem to here. I just got a link up.
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."


  2. Works now
    •   
       


  3. I'd say that I notice your body rocking back and forth parallel with the bench. One thing would be to make sure that you set up feeling a ton of pressure on your traps from the start. Your arch is mostly in the lower back, and not as much in the upper back. Another thing that will make your base more sturdy is driving your heels into the ground the whole time. It's hard to press big weight if the foundation isn't sturdy.

    Edit: On a second watching, it looks to me like your feet were kinda just chillin.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

  4. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    I'd say that I notice your body rocking back and forth parallel with the bench. One thing would be to make sure that you set up feeling a ton of pressure on your traps from the start. Your arch is mostly in the lower back, and not as much in the upper back. Another thing that will make your base more sturdy is driving your heels into the ground the whole time. It's hard to press big weight if the foundation isn't sturdy.
    I greatly appreciate the constructive criticism. I was aware that I need to sturdy the feet but not about the arch being lower back dominant. It will be another thing I keep in mind as I try to fix this.
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

  5. Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post

    I greatly appreciate the constructive criticism. I was aware that I need to sturdy the feet but not about the arch being lower back dominant. It will be another thing I keep in mind as I try to fix this.
    When I set up (and this is directly from "so you think you can bench"), I lay on the bench, put my feet on the bench, bridge really high, pick up my upper body by the bar, set it on my upper traps, try to put my ass as close to my shoulders as I humanly can, and then frantically kick my feet as far toward my head as I can. You'll likely cramp in your hips and somewhere in your lower traps if you do it right. And for that, I recommend foam rolling.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html
    •   
       


  6. Yea I have watched that video series twice...once right after this thread. Maybe I'll watch some again right before next bench. Good info herderdude.

    Oh, I am addicted to foam rolling haha
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

  7. Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    Yea I have watched that video series twice...once right after this thread. Maybe I'll watch some again right before next bench. Good info herderdude.

    Oh, I am addicted to foam rolling haha
    Good man! You won't be feeling too bad, then. After I started arching, I had to grab PVC from the burning pile on my last job site, or I would've quit arching. I still feel it in my whole upper back when I do max effort with a bench shirt.

    Try to make sure you're stacking your hands over your wrists over your elbows, too. I imagine that will be a more minor hindrance to your maximum weight than the stability. You got this, go out and crush it next time!
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

  8. Thanks brotha!

    Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

  9. Whatever trap tightness you had at the beginning was lost when you took the bar out of the rack. You're supposed to pull the bar out like a straight arm pulldown and not literally lift the bar up and then bring it out. As for the actual press, you're pushing the bar away from you instead of envisioning pushing yourself into the bench. This is the reason you kinda pop off the bench at the top of the rep. This movement helps to engage the lats and maintain tightness in the traps.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  10. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    Whatever trap tightness you had at the beginning was lost when you took the bar out of the rack. You're supposed to pull the bar out like a straight arm pulldown and not literally lift the bar up and then bring it out. As for the actual press, you're pushing the bar away from you instead of envisioning pushing yourself into the bench. This is the reason you kinda pop off the bench at the top of the rep. This movement helps to engage the lats and maintain tightness in the traps.
    After that gentlemen the other day said my shoulders keep lifting I was thinking that I am losing my back on the movement. I pretty much workout alone so I am starting(end of last workout and now moving forward) to try and find a safe place to "pull" the bar out as you are saying. I will say I was having trouble figuring that out.

    Once I get to where I think I have good form I will video again...without micro mini bands. Thanks Rodja

    Edit: I do have trouble envisioning the press correctly. More to work on.

    Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

  11. Great tips guys
    Life's a garden, dig it
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-28-2012, 11:59 AM
  2. another freakin bench question
    By brownstown89 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-05-2009, 03:20 AM
  3. quick chain bench questions need help by tommorow!
    By brownstown89 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-18-2009, 02:13 PM
  4. Bench/Squat testing next week... Bobo have a question...
    By LakeMountD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-01-2005, 01:09 PM
  5. bench shirt (not a typical question about them)
    By cpa5oh in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Log in
Log in