Using straps to lift...

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I only use them for DB/BB rows, but I have had to implement them into some rep work on deads after I ripped of a callous.
    This is dead-on!!! If you need them for non-competitive exercise or getting around a hand injury fine!! Other than that Chalk Up!!!

2. Quote Originally Posted by Moose45 View Post

This is dead-on!!! If you need them for non-competitive exercise or getting around a hand injury fine!! Other than that Chalk Up!!!
    I love chalk man!! I feel straps can be useful but shouldn't be a staple in doing lifts. What kind of straps you guys like using? I'm in search for so e new ones
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Moose45 View Post

I love chalk man!! I feel straps can be useful but shouldn't be a staple in doing lifts. What kind of straps you guys like using? I'm in search for some new ones

4. Any make of straps will work. It's just using them when you need to on certain exercises. But don't let it become habit on your competitive lifts. Need to keep your grip strength in play.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Moose45 View Post
    Any make of straps will work. It's just using them when you need to on certain exercises. But don't let it become habit on your competitive lifts. Need to keep your grip strength in play.
    Yeah I just use them after my main lift when my grip is shot. I just didnt know if there were better ones out there. I have only used the cheap scheik ones
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by 02sixxer View Post
    Straps are defintiely not evil and have their place in the gym bag. When it comes to lifting 400+ pounds you cannot expect our skin, fingers, and tendons to be as strong as the major muscles it takes to dead lift or row. If you use them when you need them to work what your intended muscle group is you are ok. You should not do your lighter weights with them so that you still build strength in the hands and arms.

I will give you an example, when I dead and hit 315+ the straps go on. At 225 I am strapless. 225 is pretty easy for me to hold 315 is doable, but I hate to sacrifice a few extra reps becaus my hand hurt and calis' are ripping. My intention is to strengthen my legs, core, and my back not necessarily my hands with deads, so to maximize my set I use straps.

Thats my take.
    I agree. I lift strapless until my grip fails and if necessary finish sets with straps after. I often couple deads, rows and weighted chins as part of a full body routine.

If a lifter is letting his hands tell his back when it is done, he should let his nuts drop and re-evaluate, imo. And too many people pulling nancy weight disregard straps without knowing what it's like to actually need them.

7. I used to use them on my heavy deadlift sets, but my dog got ahold of one and I haven't gotten around to replacing them

8. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    You sure that wasn't for Strongman?
    Ha, that was my guess too...! Didn't Kevin Nee pretty much tie himself to the car deadlift once.

Anyway, on the cart with the guys who use them as another tool in the box okay, not exclusively as my lower reps, get the mixed grip work, but why not use em at times? Why limit yourself to training the hips, legs and back hard, if your grip is the weaky link. Grip work is much easier and can be done anytime really or at least about 4-5 times per week.
    Hook gripping can work too but it is bull hard doing higher reps.

Another point I think is valuable with deadlifting higher reps is when you used a mixed grip, your body is torquing in a certain direction with one arm out and one arm in. If you use straps and are pullling a heavy 7th or 8th rep, that might be something to consider.

Bent rows, RDL's, SLDL's, surgs all get the straps mostly.

Lastly, I change my mixed grip on nearly each set also, pulling with rt hand pronated lft sup, then switch lft pronated...

9. My grip has never been too horrible but never great enough to go as heavy as I've wanted. My grip always failed leaving my back routines sub par IMO. I was to stubborn to use any assistance. That's just ignorant and I admit it. Due to my past year my pulling lifts have been horrible. Last night was the first back day I walked out of the gym with a smile. I deadlifted more and better then I've been able to in a year. I was able to use the 110dbs for rows which lately just slip right out of my hands and Ill admit I even used them on my heaviest lat pull down and upright row sets. I was able to pull heavy enough last night that I kept turtling so hard I had to go to the bathroom and adjust a few times. Lol don't know if that happens to anyone else and Its not a size issue, just makes my junk wanna crump up real bad. Never used a weight belt either but I'm considering it for my arm routine. Lol! Just kidding! There's a douche at my gym that even wears his on the treadmill that made me think of that.

10. Quote Originally Posted by msrider View Post
    Lol. Brings to mind some high schoolers at my gym were doing squats lmao looked over and the kids wearing a dip belt with chain and its loose as can be. What's wrong with ppl haha
    at the gym i go to the guys use the powerbelts as sauna belts
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 63
    Last Post: 10-20-2011, 06:27 PM
  2. Replies: 58
    Last Post: 03-02-2004, 02:33 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-21-2004, 08:52 AM
  4. DMSO as a useful adjunct to muscle hyperplasia
    By Dwight Schrute in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4