Using straps to lift...

ninja636

ninja636

Awards
I'm big on dead lifts and shoulder shrugs, but never used straps to help with weight and or grip, anyone see a big difference in using these?

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm big on dead lifts and shoulder shrugs, but never used straps to help with weight and or grip, anyone see a big difference in using these?

I've never used straps and I'm glad, because I have a couple of friends that got so used to the straps that they can't deadlift or shrug without them.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And I assume that using straps take away from your grip strength. And grip strength is important..

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you can do it without straps do it without straps. For deadlifts, its a crutch. Chalk up instead. I'll use straps for DB lunges or whatever when my grip is shot after a workout.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I only use them for DB/BB rows, but I have had to implement them into some rep work on deads after I ripped of a callous.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I use them sparingly. Lately only seems to be on like a max effort dead. My grip just doesnt keep up after 315 and on. I am also ordering fat gripz to try and fix the problem.

tcun44

Awards
I used them for years. Then I bought some Captains Of Crush grippers to improve my hand strength- and finally ditched the straps 5-6 months ago. It's been liberating. You might consider using for heavy dead lifts- but otherwise- I can't see why you'd want them.

lamonster14

lamonster14

Awards
Used to keep sets of em in the gym bag and used them for everything when I thought I wanted to be a bodybuilder, they help with grip obv. But I also felt the isolation of particular muscle groups was improved when I used them. I did however scrap them all about 5 months ago. And like previously stated it was a great decision. Forearm growth shot up, and being able to grasp 400+in your bare hands just feels awesome. Its all relative to what your trying to accomplish so go with what suits your training best.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Chalk up instead. I'll use straps for DB lunges or whatever when my grip is shot after a workout.
Agreed.

I do the bolded part, too. Just yesterday, after doing speed deadlifts, I started doing sets of step ups. But after speed deadlifts, my grip is completely shot, and it becomes incredibly hard to hold onto "heavy" dumbbells for about a minute and a half straight a set after having done speed deadlifts.

Luke_PNI

Luke_PNI

Awards
I use versa grips which really do help with heavy rows, pull ups and deads. I like to use these because they also have the wrist support. I tend to have wrist problems at times and these have helped tremendously.

uvawahoowa

Awards
I'll use straps when my grip is the weak link, but the muscle group I'm trying to hit can do more. Mostly on shrugs and sometimes rdls. I implement grip/forearm work additionally as well though

pappybay

pappybay

Awards
I use straps routinely, and it may be in fact because my grip strength is not adequate, but improving. I do not want to sacrifice a good DB row set because of my grip. The point for me is to work my back (in this example) and that is best accomplished (for DB row) by using straps.

:)

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I used to only use them on a very rare basis. Lately though I have been using them a fair amount. Not that I really want to, but I often work out in freezing or even sub freezing temperatures and no matter how much chalk you use when when the temp is in the low 30's and you are pulling heavy deads or rows it just doesn't work out lol. I even using the air activated hand warmers. I do hVe a pair of captains of crush to try and help offset.

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
Straps are defintiely not evil and have their place in the gym bag. When it comes to lifting 400+ pounds you cannot expect our skin, fingers, and tendons to be as strong as the major muscles it takes to dead lift or row. If you use them when you need them to work what your intended muscle group is you are ok. You should not do your lighter weights with them so that you still build strength in the hands and arms.

I will give you an example, when I dead and hit 315+ the straps go on. At 225 I am strapless. 225 is pretty easy for me to hold 315 is doable, but I hate to sacrifice a few extra reps becaus my hand hurt and calis' are ripping. My intention is to strengthen my legs, core, and my back not necessarily my hands with deads, so to maximize my set I use straps.

Thats my take.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Straps are defintiely not evil and have their place in the gym bag. When it comes to lifting 400+ pounds you cannot expect our skin, fingers, and tendons to be as strong as the major muscles it takes to dead lift or row. If you use them when you need them to work what your intended muscle group is you are ok. You should not do your lighter weights with them so that you still build strength in the hands and arms.

I will give you an example, when I dead and hit 315+ the straps go on. At 225 I am strapless. 225 is pretty easy for me to hold 315 is doable, but I hate to sacrifice a few extra reps becaus my hand hurt and calis' are ripping. My intention is to strengthen my legs, core, and my back not necessarily my hands with deads, so to maximize my set I use straps.

Thats my take.
heavy deads are the only time i actually use gloves cuz i watched my friends calluses rip right off his hand in front of me. awsome sight lol. i also use straps for shrugs back when i actually did them

being january, ive already seen some dummies using straps for benching. wtf is the purpose of that?

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
heavy deads are the only time i actually use gloves cuz i watched my friends calluses rip right off his hand in front of me. awsome sight lol. i also use straps for shrugs back when i actually did them

being january, ive already seen some dummies using straps for benching. wtf is the purpose of that?
Now thats funny. Straps for benching.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Are you sure they are actual straps and not wrist wraps they are suing for benching?

msrider

msrider

Awards
Now thats funny. Straps for benching.
Lol. Brings to mind some high schoolers at my gym were doing squats lmao looked over and the kids wearing a dip belt with chain and its loose as can be. What's wrong with ppl haha

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
Lol. Brings to mind some high schoolers at my gym were doing squats lmao looked over and the kids wearing a dip belt with chain and its loose as can be. What's wrong with ppl haha
you made my day lmfao!

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Straps can help sometimes when you just gotta get a few more reps out when hands are shot. I mark in my log book if the set was done with straps or not though. For deads, I usually don't add any weight once my hands fail & I pull out the straps - just reps. I guess I consider all my maxes as done raw - no straps, gloves, etc.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I threw straps on before to knock out some heavy weighted pullups, felt good. Heavy for me was +45

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
There's a time for straps and there's a time for no straps. Neither is right or wrong, just depends on the circumstance. The beauty of our own discretion.

Sent from my iPhone

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
15 years never used straps. I finally gave in today. Been fed up having no grip last couple months after recovery from broken forearm and 2 badly sprain wrists. Was straining my fingers to hold 225lb its that bad. I gotta say I'm in love, I've been missing out. I did a couple warm ups then 325 no sweat. Played with that for the time being as I've only been back two months after 10 months off and easing back into heavy. Coulda been pulling more weight over the years as its usually my grip that ****s my form and limits me before the injuries. Straps yay!

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I use straps cause I do shrugs to strengthen my traps not my hands. If you want a stronger grip do static holds. Why sacrifice your trap workout just cause your grip sucks. Lol Better to have just crappy grip then to have a crappy grip and small traps.

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
Even top power lifters are given the option to use straps (and many do) such as the 2011 powerlifting champ used straps on his final lift. So I think the while "oh you're not hardcore if you use straps" is ridonk. Especially if you train for bodybuilding because you should be more concerned about hypertrophy not strength.

I love straps!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Even top power lifters are given the option to use straps (and many do) such as the 2011 powerlifting champ used straps on his final lift. So I think the while "oh you're not hardcore if you use straps" is ridonk. Especially if you train for bodybuilding because you should be more concerned about hypertrophy not strength.

I love straps!
What federation is this? I've never heard of straps being allowed during a meet.

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
What federation is this? I've never heard of straps being allowed during a meet.
Oh sorry derp meant to write "Arnold classic" in there. Granted not the best of the best for powerlifting but still some wickedly strong dudes

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh sorry derp meant to write "Arnold classic" in there. Granted not the best of the best for powerlifting but still some wickedly strong dudes
You sure that wasn't for Strongman? The Arnold had USAPL running things that year and they definitely do not allow straps.

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
You sure that wasn't for Strongman? The Arnold had USAPL running things that year and they definitely do not allow straps.
**** you might be right. Lol this is why I shouldn't make posts in the morning -.- my bad
Regardless I suppose my previous statement still works with these guys being huge as fuark lifting with straps

Moose45

Moose45

Awards
I only use them for DB/BB rows, but I have had to implement them into some rep work on deads after I ripped of a callous.
This is dead-on!!! If you need them for non-competitive exercise or getting around a hand injury fine!! Other than that Chalk Up!!!

gymguy21

Awards
This is dead-on!!! If you need them for non-competitive exercise or getting around a hand injury fine!! Other than that Chalk Up!!!
I love chalk man!! I feel straps can be useful but shouldn't be a staple in doing lifts. What kind of straps you guys like using? I'm in search for so e new ones

gymguy21

Awards
I love chalk man!! I feel straps can be useful but shouldn't be a staple in doing lifts. What kind of straps you guys like using? I'm in search for some new ones

Moose45

Moose45

Awards
Any make of straps will work. It's just using them when you need to on certain exercises. But don't let it become habit on your competitive lifts. Need to keep your grip strength in play.

gymguy21

Awards
Any make of straps will work. It's just using them when you need to on certain exercises. But don't let it become habit on your competitive lifts. Need to keep your grip strength in play.
Yeah I just use them after my main lift when my grip is shot. I just didnt know if there were better ones out there. I have only used the cheap scheik ones

TexasGuy

Awards

Thats my take.
I agree. I lift strapless until my grip fails and if necessary finish sets with straps after. I often couple deads, rows and weighted chins as part of a full body routine.

If a lifter is letting his hands tell his back when it is done, he should let his nuts drop and re-evaluate, imo. And too many people pulling nancy weight disregard straps without knowing what it's like to actually need them.

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
I used to use them on my heavy deadlift sets, but my dog got ahold of one and I haven't gotten around to replacing them

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You sure that wasn't for Strongman?
Ha, that was my guess too...! Didn't Kevin Nee pretty much tie himself to the car deadlift once.

Anyway, on the cart with the guys who use them as another tool in the box okay, not exclusively as my lower reps, get the mixed grip work, but why not use em at times? Why limit yourself to training the hips, legs and back hard, if your grip is the weaky link. Grip work is much easier and can be done anytime really or at least about 4-5 times per week.
Hook gripping can work too but it is bull hard doing higher reps.

Another point I think is valuable with deadlifting higher reps is when you used a mixed grip, your body is torquing in a certain direction with one arm out and one arm in. If you use straps and are pullling a heavy 7th or 8th rep, that might be something to consider.

Bent rows, RDL's, SLDL's, surgs all get the straps mostly.

Lastly, I change my mixed grip on nearly each set also, pulling with rt hand pronated lft sup, then switch lft pronated...

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
My grip has never been too horrible but never great enough to go as heavy as I've wanted. My grip always failed leaving my back routines sub par IMO. I was to stubborn to use any assistance. That's just ignorant and I admit it. Due to my past year my pulling lifts have been horrible. Last night was the first back day I walked out of the gym with a smile. I deadlifted more and better then I've been able to in a year. I was able to use the 110dbs for rows which lately just slip right out of my hands and Ill admit I even used them on my heaviest lat pull down and upright row sets. I was able to pull heavy enough last night that I kept turtling so hard I had to go to the bathroom and adjust a few times. Lol don't know if that happens to anyone else and Its not a size issue, just makes my junk wanna crump up real bad. Never used a weight belt either but I'm considering it for my arm routine. Lol! Just kidding! There's a douche at my gym that even wears his on the treadmill that made me think of that.

iddc

iddc

Awards
at the gym i go to the guys use the powerbelts as sauna belts