How much can I?

jneutron

jneutron

Awards
I train at home with dumbells.
If, for the chest press, I do 45lbs for 8-10 reps how much do you guys think I could do on the barbell press?

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I train at home with dumbells.
If, for the chest press, I do 45lbs for 8-10 reps how much do you guys think I could do on the barbell press?
In my experience, there's little correlation. I can DB press over 100lb for reps but on BB, unless training specifically, I'd be hard pressed to rep much more than 185 when making the transition.

I know that doesn't answer your question, sorry. Just trying to give my personal input about the question having variable answers.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Maybe throw some plates on a bar and find out for yourself?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
agreed with distiller water. there's no correlation. i used to rep out 115lb dumbells for 10 and barely 225x5 bb bench. now that I focused on bb bench, it's gone way up but now I can hardly even put up 115 DB.

i imagine you can push 135 but hard to tell since your body may not be accustomed to the movement

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
That's like asking for your bf%. we can guess, but the only way is going to the gym and benching for a little. I do recommend researching form a little bit!

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Can't do BB to save my life, have had 2 gimpy shoulders my entire life, had surgery in one so if I try any barbell movements I will always, without a doubt, compensate with one and therefore end up selling myself short and being unable to lift well.

Dumbbells all the way for me, so, to answer your question, who knows? Weightlifting is also a matter of muscle memory, to which you are going to have very little when making the transition from DB to BB, so it will be a toss up regardless.