- 12-20-2012, 12:49 PM
43 yrs. 6'4, 215#
Been running 5/3/1 for 8 complete months (logged here) and the progress has exceeded my expectations. I run it 4x per week for 3 wks per month and one week off before upping the weights 10#/5# and repeating.
After 8 months the weights are starting to intimidate me and I just can't seem to bring the mental fire into the gym that I had 6 months ago. I am stressing about Deadlift day 48 hours before I head into the gym. I am still progressing in everything except OHP, and have not failed a minimum set yet.
I'm looking for suggestions on how to get my head back into the workout. Esp from anyone 40+ that has been through this.
Some ideas that I've come up with, but have not tested:
1. Deload everything by 20% and work back up to where I am now.
2. Take a month off.
3. Switch to 2 workouts a week with no deload week (This is a Wender suggestion for old f&^ks like me)
4. Do a couple months of 5x5 just to switch things up.
Sounds like a real whiner thread, but hopefully I can get some constructive feedback.
- 12-20-2012, 12:53 PMBoard Sponsor
- 5'10" 220 lbs.
- Join Date
- Jan 2006
It sounds like boredom to me. Have you tried switching up the assistance template to add some variety into the routine?M.Ed. Ex Phys
- 12-20-2012, 12:57 PM
It might be something as simple as mental fatigue, sometimes taking a week off can do wonders for your drive, motivation, and focus.
12-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Similar Forum Threads
- By jdubz in forum Supplement LogsReplies: 3Last Post: 05-07-2006, 06:36 PM
- By EEmain in forum General ChatReplies: 2Last Post: 10-29-2005, 12:32 AM
- By noctorum in forum AnabolicsReplies: 8Last Post: 06-02-2005, 12:38 AM
- By drei in forum AnabolicsReplies: 5Last Post: 12-10-2003, 12:08 PM
- By tatortodd in forum Exercise ScienceReplies: 0Last Post: 08-18-2003, 10:49 PM