Seriously, I farted science

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
That being said, is there a correlation between potent flatulence and a hard workout? My diet is pretty routine but when I really get a good, long workout in.... my gas is atrocious. I don't care or anything but, I've noticed a trend.

Its almost like I know I'm going to make gains when I have terrible gas from my routine diet. Days I dont workout I will eat the same protein amount and not have bad gas. I workout around 5pm FWIW. The heavy workout is the common denominator for me.

Any science to this?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
As far as I know, the more fetid the flatulence is the less protein/fats you are digesting. I could be wrong...but IMO throw in more veggies and fiber in the diet.

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
Well that would seem to be backwards in my case. I wouldnt think I absorb less from a better workout.

Hmmmm

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I said digest. Have you ever had an "egg-white" flatulence? Last time I asked that here on the forums the answer propped up to me was more fiber, tried it and yup...no more "protein farts"

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
I said digest. Have you ever had an "egg-white" flatulence? Last time I asked that here on the forums the answer propped up to me was more fiber, tried it and yup...no more "protein farts"
Ahhh well that does make sense then I guess. Its definitely a predictable trend. I dont necessarily mind it... but I wonder of fiber would help

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Ahhh well that does make sense then I guess. Its definitely a predictable trend. I dont necessarily mind it... but I wonder of fiber would help
Fiber helps in Protein and Dietary Fat digestion, not to mention it will keep a sane and clean colon ;)!

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
im assuming you drink protein shakes pretty often if youre having protein farts. just use a food procesor or blender to dustify some oatmeal and add it to your shakes. yea i just created the word dustify

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
im assuming you drink protein shakes pretty often if youre having protein farts. just use a food procesor or blender to dustify some oatmeal and add it to your shakes. yea i just created the word dustify
I make one in the am and one post workout. I already put 3/4 cup oats in em'. Banana, pb and milk too.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you by chance, have, or ever had a hiatal or incisional/ventral hernia?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Do you by chance, have, or ever had a hiatal or incisional/ventral hernia?
I had a hernia removed after 3-4 months of being born...would this still have an effect Mr. Dunn?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
At this late in your life I can't imagine it would.

I had an umbilical and slight epigastric (umbilical progressed upward) hernia repaired 5 or more years ago. Over the last several years it has returned (progressed upward), but now it is a ventral or incisional hernia with a protrusion. The protrusion is causing twisting and obstruction to my transverse colon. When I over exert myself in the gym it increase the protrusion considerably and aggravates the twisting and obstruction. This in turn causes considerable gas, abdominal bloating, distention and constipation for several days.

doc194208.jpg

Fortunately I am not obstinate enough to let it go on any longer than I already have and will be having an open (as opposed to arthroscopic) surgery to repair it on the 27th of this month.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
At this late in your life I can't imagine it would.

I had an umbilical and slight epigastric (umbilical progressed upward) hernia repaired 5 or more years ago. Over the last several years it has returned (progressed upward), but now it is a ventral or incisional hernia with a protrusion. The protrusion is causing twisting and obstruction to my transverse colon. When I over exert myself in the gym it increase the protrusion considerably and aggravates the twisting and obstruction. This in turn causes considerable gas, abdominal bloating, distention and constipation for several days.

Fortunately I am not obstinate enough to let it go on any longer than I already have and will be having a open (as opposed to arthroscopic) surgery to repair it on the 27th of this month.
That is good info and a possible way to spot a hernia or relapsing hernia like yours. Thanks for that and best wishes for your surgery!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have not. Good analysis to say the least though.
I would still tend to believe it may have something to do with core contractile strength or something along those lines rather than some odd and unexplicable nutritional/physiological/metabolic relationship otherwise related to resistance training. JMHO.

Good luck to you!
Thank you!