Anyone just do 1 set on deadlifts?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I am currently doing 2 sets 3-5 reps on deadlifts and I was thinking about dropping down to 1 set, since on set 2 it's harder to keep my form since my glutes are so sore. I was also thinking about dropping from 3-5 to 2-5 if I go down to one set maybe even 1-5. I don't care abotu gaining size in my legs just strength and definition, my legs are already big.

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
3-5 sets 3-5 reps each periodo dot exclamation. unless for some reason i was to do squats earlier that day

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i do 3-5 reps and work up to 75% and then may only do singles on up till i fail. but i find just pulling 1-2 times a month is plenty for me. then again my deadlift is so far above my squat and bench i am focusing more on bringing them up. and my deadlift is still climbing. ive added 50 lbs this year only pulling 1-2 times a month.

i dont think this is a good idea for most.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
i do 3-5 reps and work up to 75% and then may only do singles on up till i fail. but i find just pulling 1-2 times a month is plenty for me. then again my deadlift is so far above my squat and bench i am focusing more on bringing them up. and my deadlift is still climbing. ive added 50 lbs this year only pulling 1-2 times a month.

i dont think this is a good idea for most.
Well when I said 1 set I wasn't counting my 1 or 2 warmup sets. How do you measure your 75% forgot the word, but I've never been able to figure out how to calculate like what my 75% percent is or my 80% or whatever.

napalm

napalm

Awards
no, after warmups i do 3-5 sets of triples. i agree w ozzie, i only dl a couple times a month, maybe more closer to a meet.

good luck...

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
That's like something Dorian Yates used to do. He would do 2-3 sets to build up to his heaviest set and than go to absolute muscular failure w/ his heaviest set

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Well when I said 1 set I wasn't counting my 1 or 2 warmup sets. How do you measure your 75% forgot the word, but I've never been able to figure out how to calculate like what my 75% percent is or my 80% or whatever.
Multiply your 1rm by 0.75. This is 75% of your 1rm. If this is what you mean.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Multiply your 1rm by 0.75. This is 75% of your 1rm. If this is what you mean.
Yeah thats it, but I've never trained to see my 1 rep max. I'll give you an example of what I've been doing. I'm only deadlifting 315 right now but I'll warm up with like 2 sets of a lower weight like 1 set of 205 and the next set at 255 both for around 3 reps, than I'll do 2 sets 3-5 at 315 but I was thinking of lower my heavy sets to 1 set.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Yeah thats it, but I've never trained to see my 1 rep max. I'll give you an example of what I've been doing. I'm only deadlifting 315 right now but I'll warm up with like 2 sets of a lower weight like 1 set of 205 and the next set at 255 both for around 3 reps, than I'll do 2 sets 3-5 at 315 but I was thinking of lower my heavy sets to 1 set.
ok then, 315x4=1260 x 0333 = 41.95 + 315 = 357, your max

you're welcome :)

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Oh yeah there are formulations that can pretty accurately guesstimate 1rm from working rep ranges so long as you work to failure on any given rep range. Then you plug that number into a formula and hey presto, a 1rm prediction.

EDIT: Napalms guessed your 1rm for ya. So use 75% of that :)

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Oh yeah there are formulations that can pretty accurately guesstimate 1rm from working rep ranges so long as you work to failure on any given rep range. Then you plug that number into a formula and hey presto, a 1rm prediction.

EDIT: Napalms guessed your 1rm for ya. So use 75% of that :)
For warmups or as my heavy sets?

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
I consider myself a pretty avid dead lifter, and I use an even lighter weight to warmup, but do it with very slow, precise movement. Ex: my 1Rm is 425, but I warm up with a set of 10 at 135. I move slowly and with a lot of concentration. Then I go up to a set of 5 at 205/225. From there I go up depending on if I looking for high rep or high weight. If i am doing a high rep day, I stay at 315 as my highest weight and will do 2 sets of 5 then a final set till fail...usually around 8-10 reps. If I am lifting heavy, after my warmup I will go 1-2 reps at a time and then go up around 10/15 pounds, again till fail. This strategy has worked really well for me, and the overly light, overly concentrated warmup helps emphasize form. Also, try adding straight leg DL's to your routine using a light weight. Given you weights you use now, I would start at 95 pounds. It will help strengthen your legs and lower back.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
i pull in the 700s and only DL 1x every 2-3 months... when i do DL its only 2-3 sets of heavy singles, i work up to it of course but only heavy singles.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
I've always just done one set or worked up to a heavy single, got me up just about to 600. And as far as calculating a %max based on reps performed. Because of the deload between reps its not going to be as linear as the other lifts. And some people will bounce the reps vs a total reload between reps so its not as easy to determine a max without actually working your way up with singles to get an estimate.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I've always just done one set or worked up to a heavy single, got me up just about to 600. And as far as calculating a %max based on reps performed. Because of the deload between reps its not going to be as linear as the other lifts. And some people will bounce the reps vs a total reload between reps so its not as easy to determine a max without actually working your way up with singles to get an estimate.
Yeah I just want to work up to 500 pounds for about 3 reps that's my goal. Rather I can do 1 set of 3 or 2 sets of 3 at that weight doesn't matter so much to me. I was just concerned that maybe 1 heavy set wasn't enough for my body to get used to and progress from, but I much rather just do 1 heavy set since after the second set I feel wore out almost to the point where I just want to end my workout. In fact after the second set of deads I usually wait 10 minutes before I do anything else since I feel so tired out from them.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I just want to work up to 500 pounds for about 3 reps that's my goal. Rather I can do 1 set of 3 or 2 sets of 3 at that weight doesn't matter so much to me. I was just concerned that maybe 1 heavy set wasn't enough for my body to get used to and progress from, but I much rather just do 1 heavy set since after the second set I feel wore out almost to the point where I just want to end my workout. In fact after the second set of deads I usually wait 10 minutes before I do anything else since I feel so tired out from them.

I always do deads last, since after my strength on everything else is crap. Doing more than one set just takes longer to recover from and puts more stress on your CNS. I'd opt for a slightly higher frequency over a second set, you will get better return in strength.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I always do deads last, since after my strength on everything else is crap. Doing more than one set just takes longer to recover from and puts more stress on your CNS. I'd opt for a slightly higher frequency over a second set, you will get better return in strength.
CNS? I do deads as my last barbell workout on chest and back days, that seems to workout alright. I could never deadlift before bench pressing though.

MichaelMurphy

Awards
I dead lift at least every other week, although I would prefer to do them weekly. My 1RM is just over 3x my body weight, but that is with a complete reload. I would have to completely agree with tnubs on that one. I do not do a lot of set either. Warm up consists of 135x10, 225x8 315x5, then I go right into my routine 405x5 then 430x3-5 depending on my feel for the day. I have been know to work up to 475 if i am wanting to go really heavy. I do however know people that pull 8 sets on deads. You need to figure out what works best for you and run with it, you can always make adjustments daily based on how well you feel that day or on how you are lifting.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
CNS? I do deads as my last barbell workout on chest and back days, that seems to workout alright. I could never deadlift before bench pressing though.
CNS= central nervous system

compudog

compudog

Awards
I did a low volume deadlift workout since I started doing them but now I'm going for higher volume, because of the success my lifting partner has had with that approach. He always does a lot of warmup sets, 3 or 4 working sets of singles, doubles or triples, and then pyramids back down. It ends up being a ton of reps & I thought he was overdoing it, but he got 6 plates in a rack pull the other day, while I got 4.5. We started deadlifting at about the same time, and we're close to the same weight. He has a couple advantages over me; he's been training longer, and he's 10 years younger than I am. Still, I bench more than he does, so I don't think it's a just a case of him being stronger, it really seems like his higher volume approach has just worked better. I've only been doing that way for a couple workouts so I can't say if it's working for me or not yet. I can say that it kicks the hell out of me, but that's good, it builds work capacity.

SinghDaKillaa

SinghDaKillaa

Awards
Well bro I always deadlift and squat with like a a couple sets of 3 reps working up to like 95% of max. I feel like I see more gains doing powerlifting on them.

Everything else I do 3 sets of like 8-12 reps.