"Fat" guys powerlifting - AnabolicMinds.com

"Fat" guys powerlifting

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member

"Fat" guys powerlifting

This drives me up a wall, personally.

At my gym, there are about 6 very large guys who are powerlifting and strength training quite hardcore, and have been for about two years now, and it boggles my mind. If your body fat is above 20% you should be doing cardio, not trying to gain more muscle, IMO. This makes no sense.

Why do fat people powerlift and strength train? They need to be doing low weight and high reps and cardio. WTF?

2. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Their goal is not bodybuilding or physique aesthetics but rather powerlifting. Physics!

As a matter of fact many huge bodybuilders are previous powerlifters as it put great amounts of muscle mass on their bodies.

It's their goals and not yours so why should they care what you think? For that matter why do you care?
  3. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Heat Miser View Post
    Their goal is not bodybuilding or physique aesthetics but rather powerlifting. Physics!

As a matter of fact many huge bodybuilders are previous powerlifters as it put great amounts of muscle mass on their bodies.

It's their goals and not yours so why should they care what you think? For that matter why do you care?

That's a good question, I wish I knew why it bothered me. At first it didn't, but I think what has attracted my negative outlook towards them is they are not using proper form while benchpressing (using a wood block on their chest so the bar barely comes down) and they shout and scream while doing one rep. I don't know why that irks me greatly, but it has begun to.
    •   

4. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasxavier View Post
    That's a good question, I wish I knew why it bothered me. At first it didn't, but I think what has attracted my negative outlook towards them is they are not using proper form while benchpressing (using a wood block on their chest so the bar barely comes down) and they shout and scream while doing one rep. I don't know why that irks me greatly, but it has begun to.
    Again - they are not using bodybuilding training techniques. Those are board presses for powelifting - not bodybuilding.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Their fat guys thinking their "in shape" lol
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

You have much to learn about powerlifting, OP. BTW, cardiovascularly speaking, most PL'ers are going to be in better shape than BB'ers. Conditioning is a staple in PL'ing routines, but not BB'ing.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Ignorance is not bliss. What you describe is a method to improve a weak link in the bench press.

Second:

They need to be doing low weight and high reps and cardio.
    This does NOT burn fat, nor is it even the most effective way to improve body composition.
  8. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I agree with everyone except moron and OP. If it bothers you then there is a reason for it and it has everything to do with YOU not them. Also why are you judging other men's physiques? Kind of weird for a man to be doing unless you're gay. If you're gay that's fine also I just don't know any straight men who do that
  9. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    I agree with everyone except moron and OP. If it bothers you then there is a reason for it and it has everything to do with YOU not them. Also why are you judging other men's physiques? Kind of weird for a man to be doing unless you're gay. If you're gay that's fine also I just don't know any straight men who do that
    This...on a board where dudes have avatars and post pictures of themselves in various degrees of unclothed?
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Wasn't saying PL'ers at all.
  11. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

this is quite possibly the stupidest thread in the history of threads...
  12. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

This...on a board where dudes have avatars and post pictures of themselves in various degrees of unclothed?
    It's not gay if you're both straight
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  13. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    It's not gay if you're both straight
    Statistically speaking there are a good number of you who are on the "down-low"

14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.

At my gym, there are about 6 very large guys who are powerlifting and strength training quite hardcore, and have been for about two years now, and it boggles my mind. If your body fat is above 20% you should be doing cardio, not trying to gain more muscle, IMO. This makes no sense.

Why do fat people powerlift and strength train? They need to be doing low weight and high reps and cardio. WTF?
    Not everyone trains for looks. While I am not big at all, my training is geared more toward strength than looks.

There is no reason at all a "fat" guy cannot be in shape either. You average NFL lineman is well over 300lbs, with a large amount of bodyfat, yet could run rings around most people. I play basketball with a guy from work who is 5'7 and 290lbs...he keep right up with me as far as conditioning.

And finally, the movement with the block of wood is called a board press and is a well know technique to help with benchpressing.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by boogyman

Not everyone trains for looks. While I am not big at all, my training is geared more toward strength than looks.

There is no reason at all a "fat" guy cannot be in shape either. You average NFL lineman is well over 300lbs, with a large amount of bodyfat, yet could run rings around more people. I play basketball with a guy from work who is 5'7 and 290lbs...he keep right up with me as far as conditioning.

And finally, the movement with the block of wood is called a board press and is a well know technique to help with benchpressing.
    That's true. I respect everyone in the gym, big, small, fat, skinny, buff.
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.

in for more joe rogan!

but listening to powerlifters talk with their muffin tops hanging over their belts does make me lol...i mean comeon lets all be real here
  17. New Member

Reputation Reputation

Somebody put him out of his misery. So much facepalm...
  18. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Glad the thread was properly handled
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  19. New Member

Lol I did some introspection to see why I'd have such a negative view in general, and realized it's really just 2 of the guys at my gym that annoy me. I don't care in general. But IMO if your body fat is over 15% you should be doing cardio just as badly as any strength training, zero exceptions
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Lol I did some introspection to see why I'd have such a negative view in general, and realized it's really just 2 of the guys at my gym that annoy me. I don't care in general. But IMO if your body fat is over 15% you should be doing cardio just as badly as any strength training, zero exceptions
    well ****. but i dont wanna do cardio!?!??!?!?!

ill do it as long as i can still eat as much as i want. will that help?

/sarcasm
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  21. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Just stop.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  22. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

Really?

Don't tell me you are also one of those guys who guesses his bodyfat is 10%.
  23. New Member

Really?

This changes my opinion. I move from 15% to 20.
  24. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    That would explain all those body building parades you see in San Francisco
    Cultivating Mass.
  25. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasxavier

This changes my opinion. I move from 15% to 20.
    Nobody cares about your stupid opinion.

At least have a f'ing clue about what we (PL'rs) do before you spew this nonsense.
  26. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    Nobody cares about your stupid opinion.

At least have a f'ing clue about what we (PL'rs) do before you spew this nonsense.

I'm more wondering about what you DON'T do. Why do you need a high % of bodyfat, does it add protein automatically?
  27. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

I'm more wondering about what you DON'T do. Why do you need a high % of bodyfat, does it add protein automatically?
    Young man, come to Detroit and I'll put you through what I do with my prowler 3 times a week. I guarantee you'll be puking in 10 minutes.

<---around 17% these days
  28. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    Young man, come to Detroit and I'll put you through what I do with my prowler 3 times a week. I guarantee you'll be puking in 10 minutes.

<---around 17% these days

17% isn't bad, I changed my opinion earlier to 20%, as I was ignorant.

I meant no disrespect though sir, this was more directed at people in the 32% body fat range, according to the earlier picture. In all seriousness (I haven't really been very serious this entire topic), I have immense respect for power lifters. Just doing farmer walks makes me feel half dead.
  29. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

17% isn't bad
    Whew, I was worried. Now I can eat that extra 1/2 chicken tonight.

/thread
  30. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.

17% isn't bad, I changed my opinion earlier to 20%, as I was ignorant.

I meant no disrespect though sir, this was more directed at people in the 32% body fat range, according to the earlier picture. In all seriousness (I haven't really been very serious this entire topic), I have immense respect for power lifters. Just doing farmer walks makes me feel half dead.
    These guys say go F yourself.

Name:  153HaOffensiveLine_fp.jpeg
Views: 563
Size:  37.8 KB
  31. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by boogyman View Post
    These guys say go F yourself.

Name:  153HaOffensiveLine_fp.jpeg
Views: 563
Size:  37.8 KB
    Is this a joke? lol
  32. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Im not saying this guy is the most conditioned powerlifter ever but both of these dudes bench press over 1,000lbs. Im sure the guy, Gene, on the right could ****ing care less about his gut. If I could bench press over 1,000lbs I wouldn't give a **** either.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  33. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Im not saying this guy is the most conditioned powerlifter ever but both of these dudes bench press over 1,000lbs. Im sure the guy, Gene, on the right could ****ing care less about his gut. If I could bench press over 1,000lbs I wouldn't give a **** either.
    No doubt that is impressive to bench 1,000... but tell me, realistically, how much greater that would be if his bodyfat was 8%? Is walking around with all that fat a constant leg workout to him?
  34. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

No doubt that is impressive to bench 1,000... but tell me, realistically, how much greater that would be if his bodyfat was 8%? Is walking around with all that fat a constant leg workout to him?
    Most people are not going to make optimal gains in strength (or muscle, for that matter) maintaining 8% bodyfat. In my experience, the greatest gains in muscle and strength (in the average individual) occur while maintaining and BF% of around 10-15%.

Now, there is something to be said about absolute strength at higher BF%, especially in natural athletes. Look at the best shot putters and hammer throwers, and most of them carry 25% body fat.
  35. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

One simple word: leverage.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  36. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Most people are not going to make optimal gains in strength (or muscle, for that matter) maintaining 8% bodyfat. In my experience, the greatest gains in muscle and strength (in the average individual) occur while maintaining and BF% of around 10-15%.

Now, there is something to be said about absolute strength at higher BF%, especially in natural athletes. Look at the best shot putters and hammer throwers, and most of them carry 25% body fat.

Well, they should reach the strength achievements then get down to 10% bodyfat. That would be awesome.
  37. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Well, they should reach the strength achievements then get down to 10% bodyfat. That would be awesome.
    Dude they have different goals than you. Get a grasp on that. A bodybuilders goal is to be sub 10% and not care about strength as much. A powerlifters goal is not asthetics, but to lift heavy ****. Food=Energy
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  38. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Your profile says you smoke and drink yet you're here because strong guys doing board presses aren't physically fit. It's what they enjoy doing man.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  39. New Member

Reputation Reputation

THEY do. Most of your bodybuilding heroes started out powerlifting. Im a bber. No doubt. But i have the utmost respect and understanding for powerlifting. They cant have abs and striations like me, but i cant bench squat or dead supranatural numbers like them. Its apples and oranges comparing them, but both require extreme discipline, dedication, and education. Im more disciplined with my diet. But i guarantee you when *insert powerlifters name here* benches he takes alot more thought into preppeing and getting ready for a set than i do. Hes more disciplined than i am in that area. You will never even have the slightest knowledge, success, or respect from your peers in either of these sports until you realize what both are about, and how both can learn from each other and should respect one another equally.
  40. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

what does high rep, low weight and being "fat" have to do with each other.
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-03-2009, 12:52 PM
  2. To quote a famous book "Winter is coming"
    By maggmaster in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-19-2003, 12:04 AM
  3. Trouble seeing quotes
    By Hal in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-27-2003, 07:51 PM