"Fat" guys powerlifting - AnabolicMinds.com

"Fat" guys powerlifting

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    Thomasxavier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    210
    Rep Power
    8624

    Reputation

    "Fat" guys powerlifting


    This drives me up a wall, personally.

    At my gym, there are about 6 very large guys who are powerlifting and strength training quite hardcore, and have been for about two years now, and it boggles my mind. If your body fat is above 20% you should be doing cardio, not trying to gain more muscle, IMO. This makes no sense.

    Why do fat people powerlift and strength train? They need to be doing low weight and high reps and cardio. WTF?

  2. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,708
    Rep Power
    950991

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Their goal is not bodybuilding or physique aesthetics but rather powerlifting. Physics!

    As a matter of fact many huge bodybuilders are previous powerlifters as it put great amounts of muscle mass on their bodies.

    It's their goals and not yours so why should they care what you think? For that matter why do you care?
  3. New Member
    Thomasxavier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    210
    Rep Power
    8624

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Heat Miser View Post
    Their goal is not bodybuilding or physique aesthetics but rather powerlifting. Physics!

    As a matter of fact many huge bodybuilders are previous powerlifters as it put great amounts of muscle mass on their bodies.

    It's their goals and not yours so why should they care what you think? For that matter why do you care?


    That's a good question, I wish I knew why it bothered me. At first it didn't, but I think what has attracted my negative outlook towards them is they are not using proper form while benchpressing (using a wood block on their chest so the bar barely comes down) and they shout and scream while doing one rep. I don't know why that irks me greatly, but it has begun to.
    •   
       

  4. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,708
    Rep Power
    950991

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasxavier View Post
    That's a good question, I wish I knew why it bothered me. At first it didn't, but I think what has attracted my negative outlook towards them is they are not using proper form while benchpressing (using a wood block on their chest so the bar barely comes down) and they shout and scream while doing one rep. I don't know why that irks me greatly, but it has begun to.
    Again - they are not using bodybuilding training techniques. Those are board presses for powelifting - not bodybuilding.
  5. New Member
    mmorton's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Age
    24
    Posts
    138
    Rep Power
    53912

    Reputation Reputation

    Their fat guys thinking their "in shape" lol
  6. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,997
    Rep Power
    917963

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    You have much to learn about powerlifting, OP. BTW, cardiovascularly speaking, most PL'ers are going to be in better shape than BB'ers. Conditioning is a staple in PL'ing routines, but not BB'ing.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297848

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasxavier View Post
    That's a good question, I wish I knew why it bothered me. At first it didn't, but I think what has attracted my negative outlook towards them is they are not using proper form while benchpressing (using a wood block on their chest so the bar barely comes down) and they shout and scream while doing one rep. I don't know why that irks me greatly, but it has begun to.
    Ignorance is not bliss. What you describe is a method to improve a weak link in the bench press.

    Second:

    They need to be doing low weight and high reps and cardio.
    This does NOT burn fat, nor is it even the most effective way to improve body composition.
  8. Banned
    JD261985's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,702
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I agree with everyone except moron and OP. If it bothers you then there is a reason for it and it has everything to do with YOU not them. Also why are you judging other men's physiques? Kind of weird for a man to be doing unless you're gay. If you're gay that's fine also I just don't know any straight men who do that
  9. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,708
    Rep Power
    950991

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    I agree with everyone except moron and OP. If it bothers you then there is a reason for it and it has everything to do with YOU not them. Also why are you judging other men's physiques? Kind of weird for a man to be doing unless you're gay. If you're gay that's fine also I just don't know any straight men who do that
    This...on a board where dudes have avatars and post pictures of themselves in various degrees of unclothed?
  10. New Member
    mmorton's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Age
    24
    Posts
    138
    Rep Power
    53912

    Reputation Reputation

    Wasn't saying PL'ers at all.
  11. Professional Member
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,210
    Rep Power
    430702

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    this is quite possibly the stupidest thread in the history of threads...
  12. Diamond Member
    Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11,298
    Rep Power
    2311432

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Heat Miser View Post
    This...on a board where dudes have avatars and post pictures of themselves in various degrees of unclothed?
    It's not gay if you're both straight
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  13. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,708
    Rep Power
    950991

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    It's not gay if you're both straight
    Statistically speaking there are a good number of you who are on the "down-low"

  14. Advanced Member
    boogyman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    35036

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasxavier View Post
    This drives me up a wall, personally.

    At my gym, there are about 6 very large guys who are powerlifting and strength training quite hardcore, and have been for about two years now, and it boggles my mind. If your body fat is above 20% you should be doing cardio, not trying to gain more muscle, IMO. This makes no sense.

    Why do fat people powerlift and strength train? They need to be doing low weight and high reps and cardio. WTF?
    Not everyone trains for looks. While I am not big at all, my training is geared more toward strength than looks.

    There is no reason at all a "fat" guy cannot be in shape either. You average NFL lineman is well over 300lbs, with a large amount of bodyfat, yet could run rings around most people. I play basketball with a guy from work who is 5'7 and 290lbs...he keep right up with me as far as conditioning.

    And finally, the movement with the block of wood is called a board press and is a well know technique to help with benchpressing.
  15. New Member
    mmorton's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Age
    24
    Posts
    138
    Rep Power
    53912

    Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by boogyman

    Not everyone trains for looks. While I am not big at all, my training is geared more toward strength than looks.

    There is no reason at all a "fat" guy cannot be in shape either. You average NFL lineman is well over 300lbs, with a large amount of bodyfat, yet could run rings around more people. I play basketball with a guy from work who is 5'7 and 290lbs...he keep right up with me as far as conditioning.

    And finally, the movement with the block of wood is called a board press and is a well know technique to help with benchpressing.
    That's true. I respect everyone in the gym, big, small, fat, skinny, buff.
  16. Elite Member
    Young Gotti's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,378
    Rep Power
    986722

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    in for more joe rogan!

    but listening to powerlifters talk with their muffin tops hanging over their belts does make me lol...i mean comeon lets all be real here
  17. New Member
    grandroid828's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    336
    Rep Power
    53038

    Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasxavier View Post

    That's a good question, I wish I knew why it bothered me. At first it didn't, but I think what has attracted my negative outlook towards them is they are not using proper form while benchpressing (using a wood block on their chest so the bar barely comes down) and they shout and scream while doing one rep. I don't know why that irks me greatly, but it has begun to.
    Somebody put him out of his misery. So much facepalm...
  18. Professional Member
    Torobestia's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    141050

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Glad the thread was properly handled
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  19. New Member
    Thomasxavier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    210
    Rep Power
    8624

    Reputation

    Lol I did some introspection to see why I'd have such a negative view in general, and realized it's really just 2 of the guys at my gym that annoy me. I don't care in general. But IMO if your body fat is over 15% you should be doing cardio just as badly as any strength training, zero exceptions
  20. Senior Member
    asooneyeonig's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,192
    Rep Power
    101788

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasxavier View Post
    Lol I did some introspection to see why I'd have such a negative view in general, and realized it's really just 2 of the guys at my gym that annoy me. I don't care in general. But IMO if your body fat is over 15% you should be doing cardio just as badly as any strength training, zero exceptions
    well ****. but i dont wanna do cardio!?!??!?!?!

    ill do it as long as i can still eat as much as i want. will that help?


    /sarcasm
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  21. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,997
    Rep Power
    917963

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasxavier View Post
    Lol I did some introspection to see why I'd have such a negative view in general, and realized it's really just 2 of the guys at my gym that annoy me. I don't care in general. But IMO if your body fat is over 15% you should be doing cardio just as badly as any strength training, zero exceptions
    Just stop.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  22. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,708
    Rep Power
    950991

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasxavier View Post
    Lol I did some introspection to see why I'd have such a negative view in general, and realized it's really just 2 of the guys at my gym that annoy me. I don't care in general. But IMO if your body fat is over 15% you should be doing cardio just as badly as any strength training, zero exceptions
    Really?




    Don't tell me you are also one of those guys who guesses his bodyfat is 10%.
  23. New Member
    Thomasxavier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    210
    Rep Power
    8624

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Heat Miser View Post
    Really?


    This changes my opinion. I move from 15% to 20.
  24. Senior Member
    steppinRazor's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,015
    Rep Power
    268137

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    I agree with everyone except moron and OP. If it bothers you then there is a reason for it and it has everything to do with YOU not them. Also why are you judging other men's physiques? Kind of weird for a man to be doing unless you're gay. If you're gay that's fine also I just don't know any straight men who do that
    That would explain all those body building parades you see in San Francisco
    Cultivating Mass.
  25. Professional Member
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,210
    Rep Power
    430702

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasxavier

    This changes my opinion. I move from 15% to 20.
    Nobody cares about your stupid opinion.

    At least have a f'ing clue about what we (PL'rs) do before you spew this nonsense.
  26. New Member
    Thomasxavier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    210
    Rep Power
    8624

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    Nobody cares about your stupid opinion.

    At least have a f'ing clue about what we (PL'rs) do before you spew this nonsense.


    I'm more wondering about what you DON'T do. Why do you need a high % of bodyfat, does it add protein automatically?
  27. Professional Member
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,210
    Rep Power
    430702

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasxavier

    I'm more wondering about what you DON'T do. Why do you need a high % of bodyfat, does it add protein automatically?
    Young man, come to Detroit and I'll put you through what I do with my prowler 3 times a week. I guarantee you'll be puking in 10 minutes.

    <---around 17% these days
  28. New Member
    Thomasxavier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    210
    Rep Power
    8624

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    Young man, come to Detroit and I'll put you through what I do with my prowler 3 times a week. I guarantee you'll be puking in 10 minutes.

    <---around 17% these days

    17% isn't bad, I changed my opinion earlier to 20%, as I was ignorant.

    I meant no disrespect though sir, this was more directed at people in the 32% body fat range, according to the earlier picture. In all seriousness (I haven't really been very serious this entire topic), I have immense respect for power lifters. Just doing farmer walks makes me feel half dead.
  29. Professional Member
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,210
    Rep Power
    430702

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasxavier

    17% isn't bad
    Whew, I was worried. Now I can eat that extra 1/2 chicken tonight.

    /thread
  30. Advanced Member
    boogyman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    35036

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasxavier View Post

    17% isn't bad, I changed my opinion earlier to 20%, as I was ignorant.

    I meant no disrespect though sir, this was more directed at people in the 32% body fat range, according to the earlier picture. In all seriousness (I haven't really been very serious this entire topic), I have immense respect for power lifters. Just doing farmer walks makes me feel half dead.
    These guys say go F yourself.

    Name:  153HaOffensiveLine_fp.jpeg
Views: 563
Size:  37.8 KB
  31. New Member
    Thomasxavier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    210
    Rep Power
    8624

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by boogyman View Post
    These guys say go F yourself.

    Name:  153HaOffensiveLine_fp.jpeg
Views: 563
Size:  37.8 KB
    Is this a joke? lol
  32. Diamond Member
    Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11,298
    Rep Power
    2311432

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Im not saying this guy is the most conditioned powerlifter ever but both of these dudes bench press over 1,000lbs. Im sure the guy, Gene, on the right could ****ing care less about his gut. If I could bench press over 1,000lbs I wouldn't give a **** either.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  33. New Member
    Thomasxavier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    210
    Rep Power
    8624

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Im not saying this guy is the most conditioned powerlifter ever but both of these dudes bench press over 1,000lbs. Im sure the guy, Gene, on the right could ****ing care less about his gut. If I could bench press over 1,000lbs I wouldn't give a **** either.
    No doubt that is impressive to bench 1,000... but tell me, realistically, how much greater that would be if his bodyfat was 8%? Is walking around with all that fat a constant leg workout to him?
  34. Senior Member
    ZiR RED's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,529
    Rep Power
    297848

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasxavier View Post
    No doubt that is impressive to bench 1,000... but tell me, realistically, how much greater that would be if his bodyfat was 8%? Is walking around with all that fat a constant leg workout to him?
    Most people are not going to make optimal gains in strength (or muscle, for that matter) maintaining 8% bodyfat. In my experience, the greatest gains in muscle and strength (in the average individual) occur while maintaining and BF% of around 10-15%.

    Now, there is something to be said about absolute strength at higher BF%, especially in natural athletes. Look at the best shot putters and hammer throwers, and most of them carry 25% body fat.
  35. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,997
    Rep Power
    917963

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasxavier View Post
    No doubt that is impressive to bench 1,000... but tell me, realistically, how much greater that would be if his bodyfat was 8%? Is walking around with all that fat a constant leg workout to him?
    One simple word: leverage.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  36. New Member
    Thomasxavier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    210
    Rep Power
    8624

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED View Post
    Most people are not going to make optimal gains in strength (or muscle, for that matter) maintaining 8% bodyfat. In my experience, the greatest gains in muscle and strength (in the average individual) occur while maintaining and BF% of around 10-15%.

    Now, there is something to be said about absolute strength at higher BF%, especially in natural athletes. Look at the best shot putters and hammer throwers, and most of them carry 25% body fat.

    Well, they should reach the strength achievements then get down to 10% bodyfat. That would be awesome.
  37. Diamond Member
    Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11,298
    Rep Power
    2311432

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasxavier View Post

    Well, they should reach the strength achievements then get down to 10% bodyfat. That would be awesome.
    Dude they have different goals than you. Get a grasp on that. A bodybuilders goal is to be sub 10% and not care about strength as much. A powerlifters goal is not asthetics, but to lift heavy ****. Food=Energy
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  38. Diamond Member
    Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11,298
    Rep Power
    2311432

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Your profile says you smoke and drink yet you're here because strong guys doing board presses aren't physically fit. It's what they enjoy doing man.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  39. New Member
    grandroid828's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    336
    Rep Power
    53038

    Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasxavier View Post

    Well, they should reach the strength achievements then get down to 10% bodyfat. That would be awesome.
    THEY do. Most of your bodybuilding heroes started out powerlifting. Im a bber. No doubt. But i have the utmost respect and understanding for powerlifting. They cant have abs and striations like me, but i cant bench squat or dead supranatural numbers like them. Its apples and oranges comparing them, but both require extreme discipline, dedication, and education. Im more disciplined with my diet. But i guarantee you when *insert powerlifters name here* benches he takes alot more thought into preppeing and getting ready for a set than i do. Hes more disciplined than i am in that area. You will never even have the slightest knowledge, success, or respect from your peers in either of these sports until you realize what both are about, and how both can learn from each other and should respect one another equally.
  40. Elite Member
    hvactech's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,438
    Rep Power
    2612247

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasxavier
    This drives me up a wall, personally.

    At my gym, there are about 6 very large guys who are powerlifting and strength training quite hardcore, and have been for about two years now, and it boggles my mind. If your body fat is above 20% you should be doing cardio, not trying to gain more muscle, IMO. This makes no sense.

    Why do fat people powerlift and strength train? They need to be doing low weight and high reps and cardio. WTF?
    what does high rep, low weight and being "fat" have to do with each other.
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-03-2009, 12:52 PM
  2. To quote a famous book "Winter is coming"
    By maggmaster in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-19-2003, 12:04 AM
  3. Trouble seeing quotes
    By Hal in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-27-2003, 07:51 PM
  4. Arnold Quote, funny read
    By Biggs in forum General Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-01-2003, 11:31 PM
  5. quoting...
    By sage in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-20-2002, 09:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in