Tall/lean guys GTFIH!! Arm tips!

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
Seriously... who doesn't want BIG ARMS? I have a good build finally and a big body. I'm 6'6" though and my long ass arms have just not kept pace with the rest of my body. They have gotten bigger and I've added some vascular aspects this year but I really want better progress.

Its not diet (I'll gain belly fat from overeating a clean diet before my arms grow). I was really thinking I need to do what seems practical, WORK MORE SETS. Been training for 3 years and have gone from 170- 210lbs all natty. I've recently completed the 4 weeks to big arms by T-nation (can't post link yet) ... some results.

I mostly need to come to terms that I don't have great arm genes and will probably never ever have 20" pipes but it won't stop me from trying. I'm sitting at 15" now and honestly look like I've come a long way (believe it or not @ 13.5") I bench about 250 1RM and squat that about 15x on a good day. I'm not entirely weak for being this tall and lean.

Just looking for input on things that have helped other people like me get bigger arms. Frequency? Sets? I'm ready to just hit arms 2x a week.... and hard. I have lots of compound movements in my routine.

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
I am in the same boat as not haveing bicep as big as I want, but my tris are pretty impressive. I really have seen some good growth in biceps. I started to use exerscise from Arnold's Bible. I start with slow preacher curls with Hammer Strength. I really feel the pull and it quickly blows them up. I then go to straight bar and superset dumbells. Inside 3 sets and outside 3 sets. Its a really good start. from there I vary my routine.

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
Yea, it seems to me that all signs point to using more sets or longer sets (more TUT overall). It freaking hurts but I haven't gotten to that point where it has worked against me to add extra sets or time. It always scares me the way people talk about over-training and that ectos need more recovery time yada yada yada. I think I'm really going to start punishing my arms until I see more growth or signs that I should ease up.

As of now I mix chest with bis (Monday) and hit back with tris (Wednesday) and then hit arms on (Friday) in a more isolated sense. This gives me 2x a week for bis and tris. I can focus on a rough TUT arm day for my Friday workout and see what happens.

Other tips from really tall/lean killers would be much appreciated!!

boogyman

Awards
Yea, it seems to me that all signs point to using more sets or longer sets (more TUT overall). It freaking hurts but I haven't gotten to that point where it has worked against me to add extra sets or time. It always scares me the way people talk about over-training and that ectos need more recovery time yada yada yada. I think I'm really going to start punishing my arms until I see more growth or signs that I should ease up.

As of now I mix chest with bis (Monday) and hit back with tris (Wednesday) and then hit arms on (Friday) in a more isolated sense. This gives me 2x a week for bis and tris. I can focus on a rough TUT arm day for my Friday workout and see what happens.

Other tips from really tall/lean killers would be much appreciated!!
Gain 10lbs of muscle?

I read somewhere is takes an average 10 lean lbs to add an inch to your arm. At 210, your not light but being 6'6 thats a lot of "stretch". My generic suggestion to anyone wanting bigger arms is to add muscle mass.

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
10lbs of muscle would be nice.

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
Gain 10lbs of muscle?

I read somewhere is takes an average 10 lean lbs to add an inch to your arm. At 210, your not light but being 6'6 thats a lot of "stretch". My generic suggestion to anyone wanting bigger arms is to add muscle mass.
I would think this more than anything directly relates to height. So an average guy 5'10" will add 1" every 10lbs.... Im probably at .7" for 10lbs then haha. Still good advice. Ive even tried squating like crazy to build a big body for big arms... my arms are getting better looking and stronger. I guess another few years and I may be happy. I guess the grass is always greener

beastybean

beastybean

Awards
  • Established
Go heavy on back exercises: deads, pulls, etc. workout bi/tris twice one week then just once the next to let them recover and repeat. Focus on brachialis exercises and outer tricep work to get some width. And of course it takes time, so be diligent and keep at it. Good luck.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Gain 10lbs of muscle?

i have heard this before too. ive heard it takes up to 15lbs as well and that its just bodyweight and not just muscle. although im sure most people are going to want muscle and not just fat, lol.

boogyman

Awards
Well, from my own experience, I have gained a little over 15lbs since febuary, mostly muscle, with a bit of fat...but mostly lean weight. My arms have grown over an inch, and I do absolutely no direct arm work. I do pullups, dips and rows once a week each and thats the extent of the work my arms receive.

If its 10lbs, 15lbs, whatever (I am sure height and body type factor into this), pure weight gain seems to be the deciding factor in arm growth. Probably a newbie may have some gains in arm size without putting on weight.

matt8483

matt8483

Awards
  • Established
Go heavy on back exercises: deads, pulls, etc. workout bi/tris twice one week then just once the next to let them recover and repeat. Focus on brachialis exercises and outer tricep work to get some width. And of course it takes time, so be diligent and keep at it. Good luck.
This^^ and of course eat lots..

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm 6'5" at 220 and its taken me two years to get my arms to 17.5" from 16".

Here is what I do to try and grow arms:
Dead lifts, heavy biceps (3 rep max) included with my arm work, do biceps on back day, and focus a lot on triceps too. Triceps add a lot of arm size.

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
I'm 6'5" at 220 and its taken me two years to get my arms to 17.5" from 16".

Here is what I do to try and grow arms:
Dead lifts, heavy biceps (3 rep max) included with my arm work, do biceps on back day, and focus a lot on triceps too. Triceps add a lot of arm size.
Agreed that tri's have so much to do with arm size. I get tols all the time my arms are massive, but what non bodybuilders dont know is it more tri then bi. I actually have undersized bi's and very nice tri's. I would love another inch. My size when at 5% bf is 17" when at 12% the are 17.75-18" but my tri's are very big.

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
Agreed that tri's have so much to do with arm size. I get tols all the time my arms are massive, but what non bodybuilders dont know is it more tri then bi. I actually have undersized bi's and very nice tri's. I would love another inch. My size when at 5% bf is 17" when at 12% the are 17.75-18" but my tri's are very big.
Sadly, genetics may never allow that for me. Im at 15 after 3 years. 16-17 in the next 3 years and Im happy as shat.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I've enjoyed Doggcrapp a lot for arm size. The compound movements and then a specific day for arms really helped my case. I went from 15.75 (I work on cm so forgive my conversion) to 17.71 in roughly 8 months with Doggcrapp, and I used to have a lot of problems previous to this. Now I look much more in line and at my ideal weight (~225 at 6'4'') I look proportional.

I think the killer for my arms to grow were the widowmaker sets that go along with DC (doing 20 rep lift after you're done with that muscle group and then extreme stretching it) and I have been pretty happy with it, specially considering I didn't quite put on a whole lot of weight, I just redistributed it it seems.

And totally offtopic, but can we talk about how at first I thought 6andaHalf was a nifty way to spell "Gandalf"? And I promptly thought "wtf is this, god damn world of warcraft?!"

Aaaanyways, I would give widowmakers a shot, they've helped me out a lot.

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
That 20 rep post workout set sounds painful. TUT at its best I guess...

What worries me genetically is that im starting to get a great bicep shape.... but proportionally small. I feel the better the shape, the closer someone is to their genetic ceiling.

I got size the first 2 years it seems... now vascular and shape, but still only 15 and SLOWLY widening. Sooooo slow.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
That 20 rep post workout set sounds painful. TUT at its best I guess...

What worries me genetically is that im starting to get a great bicep shape.... but proportionally small. I feel the better the shape, the closer someone is to their genetic ceiling.

I got size the first 2 years it seems... now vascular and shape, but still only 15 and SLOWLY widening. Sooooo slow.
It's not easy by any stretch, but then again, DC only has 1 set per muscle group till failure so it makes sense.

Give a youtube on widowmakers and it will give you a little taste. It will be hard to move your arm after, but goesb ack to the old saying; no pain no gain. It does give you a feeling of satisfaction once you're through with it.

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
It's not easy by any stretch, but then again, DC only has 1 set per muscle group till failure so it makes sense.

Give a youtube on widowmakers and it will give you a little taste. It will be hard to move your arm after, but goesb ack to the old saying; no pain no gain. It does give you a feeling of satisfaction once you're through with it.
Try everything once... gotta find new growth.

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Look into dtp, that's a bodybuilding routine put together by kris gethin, and I know some people are against bbing buy I experienced great gains in size using it. It's intense and really high reps though

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
Look into dtp, that's a bodybuilding routine put together by kris gethin, and I know some people are against bbing buy I experienced great gains in size using it. It's intense and really high reps though
I actually gave this a test run today, supersetting chest/back. Rough... the one downfall was that my delts were on FIRE before I felt my chest burn. Had to cut it short a few times. Could be the leverage on them from my height and huge ROM . I was considering starting a bit heavier at 40, 30, 20, 10, 5, and back up. Maybe even 35 to start.
Not sure...

uvawahoowa

Awards
This right here, especially on the deads
And no offense but I highly doubt at 6'6" youre going deep enough doing 250x15 on squats. Make sure you're going below parallel with good form. Hit your heavy squats and deads, and everything will grow. There's a reason 99% of guys with big arms have big backs, legs, etc. Keep putting on muscle and you'll see your arms grow.

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
This right here, especially on the deads
And no offense but I highly doubt at 6'6" youre going deep enough doing 250x15 on squats. Make sure you're going below parallel with good form. Hit your heavy squats and deads, and everything will grow. There's a reason 99% of guys with big arms have big backs, legs, etc. Keep putting on muscle and you'll see your arms grow.
No offense taken. My squat form is above average for a guy my height. Below parallel??? Probably not below, but with higher weights at my height its more dangerous to squat without a spotter. Leverage is far multiplied. Even if its only at 250. So, I use the most weight, range of motion and tut as possible.

Cant cheat on deads though and I use just over that weight

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
try chin-ups but with your hands directly next to each other (underhanded) and use full ROM and pull yourself up until your chest is up to your fists. it'll rock your bi's

uvawahoowa

Awards
No offense taken. My squat form is above average for a guy my height. Below parallel??? Probably not below, but at higher weights at my height its more dangerous to squat without a spotter. Leverage is far multiplied. Even if its only at 250. So, I move the most weight, range of motion and tut as possible.
It's not going to matter what height you are, use the most weight that allows you to go through a full range of motion. I agree that the taller you are, the harder it is to get depth, but that won't change its importance.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
No offense taken. My squat form is above average for a guy my height. Below parallel??? Probably not below, but at higher weights at my height its more dangerous to squat without a spotter. Leverage is far multiplied. Even if its only at 250. So, I use the most weight, range of motion and tut as possible.

Cant cheat on deads though and I use just over that weight
6'4'' myself, the way I found to kinda go around it is to either do squats with a bench (and therefore sit down and then get back up) or on a smith machine, with the movement breaker right where I would also want to be at my lowest point in the squat, that way I can also start from scratch and not have elasticity helping me and allows me to put as much weight as I possibly can.

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
Those all definitely sound like good advice, thanks.

I do a few lighter sets at the fullest ROM possible, but my normal drop goes down close enough to level to look justified most the time.

Philshred

Philshred

Awards
6foot 8 and 3/4 manlet checking in. Great tips here, it's gonna be a long road for us tall guys too fill out but will be well worth it at the end ;)

SlyCamaro

Awards
My arms are just over 18" at 196lbs...what works for me, I do my own arm day. Always have, also for the last 2 years I do 6 weeks of hard core arms every now and then, 3 times a week. Monday real heavy with negitives, wed.. med weight 10-12 reps with drop sets, and fri go light and pump up with 20 reps.

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
My arms are just over 18" at 196lbs...what works for me, I do my own arm day. Always have, also for the last 2 years I do 6 weeks of hard core arms every now and then, 3 times a week. Monday real heavy with negitives, wed.. med weight 10-12 reps with drop sets, and fri go light and pump up with 20 reps.
Good stuff, thanks. Undulating periodization definitely works for a lot of people, I've used it myself. Although, me being 210lbs @ 11-12%bf, I'd def have 18+" pipes if I were 5'11". And yes, I'm envious you probably bench over 300.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that not all tall people are genetically equal (obviously). I'm sorry to say that I've fallen on the thinner side, genetically speaking. Many have said, "you'll get there... it just takes longer". I honestly don't find that entirely true (although I'll give it my ALL). Some guys my height started thin and as they grew up they filled out much more (you can usually look at people's father, but not always). Then I get the people that say look at him... he's all big now and he used to be skinny to which I reply.... YEA, so is his father, who also used to be a shrimp in high school pictures.

Genes rule all.

Philshred

Philshred

Awards
Good stuff, thanks. Undulating periodization definitely works for a lot of people, I've used it myself. Although, me being 210lbs @ 11-12%bf, I'd def have 18+" pipes if I were 5'11". And yes, I'm envious you probably bench over 300.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that not all tall people are genetically equal (obviously). I'm sorry to say that I've fallen on the thinner side, genetically speaking. Many have said, "you'll get there... it just takes longer". I honestly don't find that entirely true (although I'll give it my ALL). Some guys my height started thin and as they grew up they filled out much more (you can usually look at people's father, but not always). Then I get the people that say look at him... he's all big now and he used to be skinny to which I reply.... YEA, so is his father, who also used to be a shrimp in high school pictures.

Genes rule all.
Uh oh, is the dark side starting to tempt you ;)?

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
Uh oh, is the dark side starting to tempt you ;)?
Haha... maybe. I just ran 2 bottles of the AMS 1-ad, 4-ad and decavol. Results were not as good as I had hoped so.....

I have helladrol/ 4-ad on the way... :D

Getting feet wet

Philshred

Philshred

Awards
Haha... maybe. I just ran 2 bottles of the AMS 1-ad, 4-ad and decavol. Results were not as good as I had hoped so.....

Getting feet wet

Getting feet wet
Hahaha. Went on their website and I'm still unsure of what exactly the 4-ad rde does? Also I'm curious of the benefits of stacking this with helladrol? Thanks man, the dark side sure is tempting...

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
Hahaha. Went on their website and I'm still unsure of what exactly the 4-ad rde does? Also I'm curious of the benefits of stacking this with helladrol? Thanks man, the dark side sure is tempting...
Halodrol has a tendency to cause lethargy and lower libido in many cases. 4-ad is a DHEA metabolite (4-DHEA) that converts to test which will boost energy, mood and libido. Make me AND the girlfriend happy. Pretty excited, actually. I work my ass off naturally so I know I'll see results.

Another good thing to stack helladrol with would be something that converts to DHT like 5-Alpha.

Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established
I'm 6'4" Never had big arms either.

But when I picked up a Harbinger dip belt I started mixing in weighted chins. +25# and +35# chins for 5 sets of 10 twice per week mixed into my 5/3/1 program. Followed by weighted dips +45# and +55# for 5 sets of 20. Nothing else I have done in over 20 years of lifting has added arm size as quickly. Also these exercises give my arms and shoulders a strong balanced look. Still not monster arms, but I am really happy with how they look after adding the dip belt.

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
Thats great advice right there. I use chins every back day, the more I bulk, the harder it gets.... the more I cut, the more I can do haha.

Dips are something I really need to toss back in now that I'm over some shoulder discomfort I was having. I guess there is a reason people used to call them "upper body squats".

My gym has a few weight-able belts I am going to start trying. I only do about 10-12 chins at a time as it is and about 15 dips so it would be a lower rep scheme than you but always good to trick it up a bit.

heyhuggy

heyhuggy

Awards
I feel there needs to be a thread strictly for us tall lifters!!

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
If you have the time just to focus on arms, theres a program by Ben pakulski called 21 days to bigger arms.
While i have not done this program, as i cant dedicate the time, bens other prgrams have been good to me. He knows his stuff. It might be worth persuing.

I'm in the same boat. I feel my arms arn't big enough. My problem is tri size. I work them hard, but i just find it hard to make them grow.

My current routine for tri's is
2x a week
close grip bench supersetted with pushdowns: 4 setsx15x12x10x8
Kickbacks suppersetted with Machine dips: 4 setsx15x12x10x8

Increasing in weight as the reps reduce.

Is this enough?

Philshred

Philshred

Awards
If you have the time just to focus on arms, theres a program by Ben pakulski called 21 days to bigger arms.
While i have not done this program, as i cant dedicate the time, bens other prgrams have been good to me. He knows his stuff. It might be worth persuing.

I'm in the same boat. I feel my arms arn't big enough. My problem is tri size. I work them hard, but i just find it hard to make them grow.

My current routine for tri's is
2x a week
close grip bench supersetted with pushdowns: 4 setsx15x12x10x8
Kickbacks suppersetted with Machine dips: 4 setsx15x12x10x8

Increasing in weight as the reps reduce.

Is this enough?
Looks good, iv'e really found that adding bands on my close grip has helped grow my tri's with the addition of heavy skullcrushers.

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
I've been incorporating some rest pauses in a lot of my routine and am seeing results (even with my iso stuff). Hitting 6-8 sets of heavy 5 repped skulls with 15 sec rest has gotten my attention. Same with heavy dips, I'm really just knocking off my rest time. I notice I sweat a lot more and put up almost the same weight as 45 sec rest. Just makes me work harder

I feel tall guys really have to do more isolation stuff than the normal guy who's arms grow from compounded lifts. I know for a fact my body gets big from compounds but my arms show little improvement. Compound work is vital, yes, but if you want anything to grow, the best thing to do is work it directly. No smokes and mirrors here... Flame away if you think compounds make everyone's arms big.

Patience and consistency

Wilsy7

Wilsy7

Awards
  • Established
How thick are your wrists OP?I thought I had a hard time filling out at my height but I'm a short ass compared to you's lol

Wilsy7

Wilsy7

Awards
  • Established
Also nice to see another comment you made about cycles and your PCT. So your not natty after all. Maybe you'll never have big arms then?

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Seriously... who doesn't want BIG ARMS? I have a good build finally and a big body. I'm 6'6" though and my long ass arms have just not kept pace with the rest of my body. They have gotten bigger and I've added some vascular aspects this year but I really want better progress.

Its not diet (I'll gain belly fat from overeating a clean diet before my arms grow). I was really thinking I need to do what seems practical, WORK MORE SETS. Been training for 3 years and have gone from 170- 210lbs all natty. I've recently completed the 4 weeks to big arms by T-nation (can't post link yet) ... some results.

I mostly need to come to terms that I don't have great arm genes and will probably never ever have 20" pipes but it won't stop me from trying. I'm sitting at 15" now and honestly look like I've come a long way (believe it or not @ 13.5") I bench about 250 1RM and squat that about 15x on a good day. I'm not entirely weak for being this tall and lean.

Just looking for input on things that have helped other people like me get bigger arms. Frequency? Sets? I'm ready to just hit arms 2x a week.... and hard. I have lots of compound movements in my routine.
Okay im going to give you 3 exercises that will increase the size of your arms . Biceps atleast.

1st and the easiest are reverse curls. Easy to execute too. Trains the neglected head.

2nd is... 21s . Most effective for peak. Can even be done with light weight preacher style.

3rd and most important for me personally. ..weighted chins with full extension and pause at the bottom. This will rip your biceps to shreds.

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
Also nice to see another comment you made about cycles and your PCT. So your not natty after all. Maybe you'll never have big arms then?
Hey buddy, welcome to November.

Arms are definitely bigger but no, I'll never have huge arms. I'm like a basketball player.

Thanks for your concern?? Sorry, I'm lost man.... not sure of your point.

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
Okay im going to give you 3 exercises that will increase the size of your arms . Biceps atleast.

1st and the easiest are reverse curls. Easy to execute too. Trains the neglected head.

2nd is... 21s . Most effective for peak. Can even be done with light weight preacher style.

3rd and most important for me personally. ..weighted chins with full extension and pause at the bottom. This will rip your biceps to shreds.
Thanks buddy but this thread is out dated. That guy just started it up again for some reason. I actually use what you are saying and you are not lying sir, I've really shaped my arms in the 10-11 months this thread has sat stagnant.

I use Zottmans a lot and they have made my forearms crazy veiny and thicker. Another awesome one for peaks are guillotine curls man. Kills the peak of my bis because I just wasn't used to the motion. Actually gave me a little scoop on my bicep top that I can start to see a shadow on when I'm laying down watching TV before bed. Fun to notice the small things of your body changing. Its the small things in life! I now have veins going across my bis and delts onto my chest from this year. I'll always be a lean guy but at least I look much better haha

I just gotta keep it up and get stronger and stronger.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sadly, genetics may never allow that for me. Im at 15 after 3 years. 16-17 in the next 3 years and Im happy as shat.
Remember too, a cut and ripped 16" arm will appear to be quite a bit bigger than a chubby uncut 18" even if it measure less.
Most people used to think Zane's arms were bigger than they actually taped.

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
Remember too, a cut and ripped 16" arm will appear to be quite a bit bigger than a chubby uncut 18" even if it measure less.
Most people used to think Zane's arms were bigger than they actually taped.
Yea that was 9 months ago and I've probably added .5 inches but I'm also much leaner today so the look much bigger having a vascular presence. Looong road!