Muscle gains question

thenewkid4011

Awards
Hey everyone quick question here,

I wanna get more/bigger muscles but not to sure how to go about it, i think I'm doing it right but probably aren't so figured id ask haha. Do i have to go threw a bulking phase to get more/bigger muscles or do i just do heavier weight less reps ?

Currently doing 3 sets of 10 reps for everything i do so if i don't have to go threw the bulk phase do i just do 3 sets at 8 reps ?

( i do know what bulking is but i got some fat on me so i don't wanna gain more fat if i don't have to. I just wanna gain muscle. I am doing cardio to get rid of the little fat i do have. Also Not saying I'm huge but i got like a little belly lol not sure how to put it )

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
You have to eat more to grow, yes. That is typically called a 'bulk'. The body can only synthesize so much muscle in any given time, estimated at around 1/2 kg per week. So typically we advocate for around an excess of 300-500 extra calories per day, to maximise muscle gains while minimising fat gains. But do expect with any calorie excess to gain some fat despite your best efforts.

Heavier weights/ less reps is such a broad term and honestly, that in itself means nothing. What constitutes heavy? What is "less" reps? Less than what?
The best way, especially for a new lifter or someone without knowledge is to follow a reputable hypertrophy program rather than try develop your own. Doing this will only result in muscular imbalances considering you are more than likely to miss certain phasic muscle groups which will lead to imbalnces over time (postural issues, weakness issues etc.) or over emphasis smaller accessory movements and under emphasize larger muscle groups.

I'll give you my example; remember though that this works for me but my not work for you; I wont list exercises though.

Firstly, I tend to do a lower/ upper split twice per week. The reason for this is that there is evidence to suggest that increased frequency will lead to more 'gains' but to do this you must decrease total workout volume each day to allow for the decrease in time between each workout. I typcially aim for 6 reps to begin with (1-2 shy of failure) then the next session the following week I aim for 7 or 8 or whatever I can get still maintaining that 1-2 shy of failure then the next week I aim for 10. Then I have a deload week and reset. Once I can get 10 reps of my starting weight I then move up 2.5kg or 5kg or whatever it may be until I can only do 6 reps again (1-2 shy of failure) then repeat the phases described before (moving up in reps, not weight per week) deload and repeat.

This is just one example though.

thenewkid4011

Awards
Do you recommend any type of program ? Also were can i find some? Doesn't bodybuilding.com have them On their site ?

jwal

Awards
If your very new to lifting which it sounds like you are I would recommend doing a strength based program to get build a good base built up before you start doin endless flies and tricep kick backs, some good ones are stronglifts 5x5, starting strength 5x5 or even hst if you keep it to eight to ten movements, I've never tried 531 but I've heard nothing but good things on this forum, but the ones that I mentioned all focus on squats deadlifts bench rows overhead press and pull ups and If you do hst one movement for biceps and one for triceps
And I know you said you want bigger muscles and I promise If you get stronger on the big 5 you'll gain more muscle

Good luck:

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Periodization Bible or something similar. Madcows etc.

5/3/1 is linear progression but is largely focused on strength gains.

retrofitted

Awards
Why is 5/3/1 being advocated so quickly for beginners? Wendler's program is designed primarily for strength, and a good base of knowledge and lifting experience is best to have before using his methods.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Periodization Bible or something similar. Madcows etc.

5/3/1 is linear progression but is largely focused on strength gains.
It's more of a mini-block periodization than anything linear.

Why is 5/3/1 being advocated so quickly for beginners? Wendler's program is designed primarily for strength, and a good base of knowledge and lifting experience is best to have before using his methods.
It's advocated because it's based upon major barbell units with flexibility in assistance templates.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

It's advocated because it's based upon major barbell units with flexibility in assistance templates.
Ooh. My bad. Haven't really looked too deeply into 5/3/1 all too much but from skimming the e-book I took it as linear progression.

WS4SB is a good place to start

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ooh. My bad. Haven't really looked too deeply into 5/3/1 all too much but from skimming the e-book I took it as linear progression.

WS4SB is a good place to start
Wendler never touches upon it, but I noticed it after researching into block periodization.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established

This. Its also extremely simple and easy to understand.

thenewkid4011

Awards
Hey thanks to everyone who answered I'm looking into everything everyone suggested. I have one question just to see if it would work or if its just dumb

If you did
1 set at an easy weight and bang out 9-10 reps, Then do a 2nd set at a heavier weight where you can only do about 7-8 reps, Then do a 3rd set at a heavier weight only doing 5-6 reps. ( and if that would work if a 4th set is needed at a lower weight to do 10 reps or however many )

Would that work at all ? Just curious haha

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey thanks to everyone who answered I'm looking into everything everyone suggested. I have one question just to see if it would work or if its just dumb

If you did
1 set at an easy weight and bang out 9-10 reps, Then do a 2nd set at a heavier weight where you can only do about 7-8 reps, Then do a 3rd set at a heavier weight only doing 5-6 reps. ( and if that would work if a 4th set is needed at a lower weight to do 10 reps or however many )

Would that work at all ? Just curious haha
It would probably be more effective to do that backwards. Work up to a heavy set or a few heavy sets, then back it down and do volume work.

thenewkid4011

Awards
It would probably be more effective to do that backwards. Work up to a heavy set or a few heavy sets, then back it down and do volume work.
So start at a heavier weight with less reps then work down to lower weight more reps ?