Serious bench press help needed!!!

Zach Strom

Zach Strom

Awards
Hey guys (and ladies of course)

For the past few months I've been struggling to increase my bench. My 1rm is at 270 and I just can't seem to budge past there. I'm tried all sorts of training methods. German Volume Training, Wendler 5-3-1 plus variations of it. I just can't seem to shake the plateau.
I'm 18 right now, turning 19 in 2 months. I'm weighing in at 215 dry and I'm 6' 2". Really would just like some veteran advice on the topic. It's mentally stressing me out that I can't overcome this wall. I've always been an endomorph, don't know if it has anything to do with it. Any advice would be much appreciated.

MHP Dark Rage PW
EPO Blast
Cellucor BCAA Mix
*** Beta-Alanine
O.N. Glutamine
Gold Standard Whey
Casein
Sci-Fit Kre Alkalyn
*** Men's Multi Vit
Fish Oil/Flax Seeds
Milk Thistle
Cycle Support

napalm

napalm

Awards
Hey guys (and ladies of course)

For the past few months I've been struggling to increase my bench. My 1rm is at 270 and I just can't seem to budge past there. I'm tried all sorts of training methods. German Volume Training, Wendler 5-3-1 plus variations of it. I just can't seem to shake the plateau.
I'm 18 right now, turning 19 in 2 months. I'm weighing in at 215 dry and I'm 6' 2". Really would just like some veteran advice on the topic. It's mentally stressing me out that I can't overcome this wall. I've always been an endomorph, don't know if it has anything to do with it. Any advice would be much appreciated.

MHP Dark Rage PW
EPO Blast
Cellucor BCAA Mix
*** Beta-Alanine
O.N. Glutamine
Gold Standard Whey
Casein
Sci-Fit Kre Alkalyn
*** Men's Multi Vit
Fish Oil/Flax Seeds
Milk Thistle
Cycle Support
If 5/3/1 didn't get you past 270, you're doing it wrong, or started too heavy. It's really hard to screw it up. How many cycles did you run before you dropped it? I'm guessing not enough.

You're 18, patience young man. Pick a program and stick with it for 6-8 months before making any changes.

Good luck...

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I concur with the above post. 5/3/1 should be almost garuteed to work if done correctly.

Zach Strom

Zach Strom

Awards
how i'm running it for sets

set 1 - 75% x 5, 80% x 5, 85% x 5
Set 2 - 80% x 3, 85% x 3, 90% x 3
Set 3 - 75% x 5, 85% x 3, 95% x 1
Set 4 - 60% x 5, 65% x 5, 70% x 5

Zach Strom

Zach Strom

Awards
My form has been sculpted and critiqued to be extremely well. I know it's not that. I'm not someone who just looks at the bench and goes to work, I focus on form before I even begin throwing on the weights.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My form has been sculpted and critiqued to be extremely well. I know it's not that. I'm not someone who just looks at the bench and goes to work, I focus on form before I even begin throwing on the weights.
Critiqued by who? People that have a random PT certification or professional powerlifters? The reason I ask is that very, very few people know how to bench for maximal strength development and how to correct not only technical flaws in the lift, but also to assess weaknesses within the kinetic chain. With a 1RM of 270, I will always gravitate towards technical flaws and I'm willing to bet that it is your number one issue.

Zach Strom

Zach Strom

Awards
Rodja- I've had them worked on and developed by 3 very close friends, all whom have their pro-card and have been powerlifting and competing through-out the last 10 years.

Napalm-Doesn't allow me to post vids until I have a minimum 500 posts.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rodja- I've had them worked on and developed by 3 very close friends, all whom have their pro-card and have been powerlifting and competing through-out the last 10 years.

Napalm-Doesn't allow me to post vids until I have a minimum 500 posts.
That begs that question why are you asking people on a forum instead of having them guide and organize your training? If they're really professionals, they should have your template designed and you shouldn't be stagnant.

Zach Strom

Zach Strom

Awards
That begs that question why are you asking people on a forum instead of having them guide and organize your training? If they're really professionals, they should have your template designed and you shouldn't be stagnant.
Well the problem develops when you have to use the University gym and they have graduated years ago. I'm stuck to a college gym for the majority of my training. I see them on break and occasionally through calls but we both have lives as well behind the lifting

stillnatural

stillnatural

Awards
What's your overhead press max at? When you try to do 275 where is your sticking point?

Zach Strom

Zach Strom

Awards
As in a military press? 185 with good form. For 275, it'd be just getting through the end of the press, once the bar is 1/2 the way back up, just getting myself to finish the rep.

stillnatural

stillnatural

Awards
Is that standing or seated for 185 and if your having trouble with the lockout I would recommend adding in floor presses if you don't do those already. When I was 17 ( only 22 now) I ran into the same problem but for me it was just getting past it mentally. Try to increase your floor press max and 275 will come real soon.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
You're not on a 'cut' by any chance are you?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
^ I told a natural pro before "Hey dude I 'plateaud'" His advice "so eat more" and that worked.

Zach Strom

Zach Strom

Awards
I wouldn't say I'm bloated, but I'm not as cut as I'd like. I'm at 16% bf which I know is a lot, but I can't seem to ever break that. I appear visually very lean for my body type. yet still haven't been able to break through to grab that 6pack. I wanna stay on track though with this thread. I'd say my eating is solid, 3800cal/day , eating every 2.5-3 hours. on and off protein shake meals throughout the day. 2-3 gallons of water a day.

Zach Strom

Zach Strom

Awards
If ANYONE would like to pm me i'd be entirely thankful and grateful. It helps a lot having someone helping you constantly

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well the problem develops when you have to use the University gym and they have graduated years ago. I'm stuck to a college gym for the majority of my training. I see them on break and occasionally through calls but we both have lives as well behind the lifting
You train solo? If so, you just made my entire point in that you don't have a set of eyes on you while training. There isn't a magical routine that will get you to where you need to be and, at your age, it's moreso the technique that holds people back. I'm sure you think you know it all at 18, but I can assure you that you have MUCH to learn regarding proper technique for your frame, especially at near maximal loads. It's very easy to have good technique at 60-70%, but very few will have solid technique once it creeps up and exceeds 90%. Again, designing a template for someone takes 20 minutes at most and, if the people are actually professionals as you claim, they could just give you the same template that they use.

TheSaiyan

TheSaiyan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I tried the Smolov Jr program.

My bench max was 295 when I started and ended doing 295 3-4 sets (cant remember which) for 3 reps. I have it in a log I did with Finaflex Ignite. But Id say that was damn good progress if you follow the weights, don't try to be Rambo and eat enough.
Never tried the 5/3/1 but what I've heard it's great, wouldn't have any other real advice besides more Citrulline Malate and work on triceps.

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
You could always stop focussing on bench press for awhile. Use dumbbells instead, incline, decline, dips, partials movements, rest pauses etc etc the list goes on and on. Your body probably needs a different stimulus to shock it into growth.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
You are on way too many silly supplements.
Also you can build a big bench by not really benching much... once a week or so.

Work on floor press, dips, shoulder press, lats, and proper bench technique. Hit the bench once or twice a week... if twice do it different ways.
E.g. Max effort and speed work

Zach Strom

Zach Strom

Awards
I've thought about doing it 3 times a week in all different styles. Monday-5X5. Wed-3X3. Fri-High Intensity Interval Training. Possibly each session hitting the chest in different ways (Incline, Decline, Flat Bench). Suggestions?

Zach Strom

Zach Strom

Awards
I'm only on some basic core supplements. Nothing out of the ordinary IMO.