HIIT ideas for the winter?

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
I live in maine so once the snow at starts to fly it gets pretty unbearable to go outside and run. As of now ive just been running on an incline treadmill but that gets boring pretty quick. For you guys who live in colder climates what type of stuff do you do?

PrimiFit

Awards
Watch Rocky IV training montage :p.

It gets pretty cold here (in Finland) too, but I still sometimes run sprints outside, although it's a bit slippery and the cold air is a risk for health when it's really cold. Running in thick snow is definitely hard work and pulling a sled with a weight. Rolling big snow balls (they get bigger and bigger) is a hard pushing workout.

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
Watch Rocky IV training montage :p.

It gets pretty cold here (in Finland) too, but I still sometimes run sprints outside, although it's a bit slippery and the cold air is a risk for health when it's really cold. Running in thick snow is definitely hard work and pulling a sled with a weight. Rolling big snow balls (they get bigger and bigger) is a hard pushing workout.[/QUOTE]

Actually like that idea a lot, never thought of that

PintSizPopeye

PintSizPopeye

Awards
How about cross country skiing? I'm sure you can pick up a cheap pair off Craigslist or used from a local ski shop. I picked up a pair last winter and they're great, plus it involves you whole body which is a plus.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
get a snow ball....whip it at a moving car...then run!

but on a serious note....i don't know your area...but where i'm from we have a dike system to prevent the area from flooding...when it snows the dikes are good for sleigh riding but even better to throw layers of clothes on and do sprints up them...ur feet will sink in the snow a bit so u don't have to worry about running on a flat icey surface and slipping

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Got access to a basketball court or something of similar length. You can do shuttles/suicides in there. If you find a training partner, you can also do partner assisted resisted work (like towing, etc.), which can substitute for a prowler/sled.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
KB swings done tabata or my new fav way of doing it. each minute for 10 minutes i do 10 reps. my rest is how ever quickly i can finish the 10 reps.

and there are plenty of other ways to get the heart rate up. place 30-50% of your squat max and do 10x10 with less then a minute rest between sets.

try a PHA style workout.