Pecs - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 2

Pecs

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by NYiron View Post
    I stand corrected on that I do apologize. Please enlighten me then as to what you mean, because i am not stuck in anything I am only stating the physics.

Edit: power is a measure of energy transfer so a movement can't require power it can only yield a power output. A movement will require force to overcome inertia and power is a measure of the rate of that force production that overcomes said inertia.
    You're just being intentionally facetious at this point.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne42 View Post
    This 100%
    Flat press for power, Db for stability and keeping muscle equal
    Airborne, WTF have you started
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

If your goal is to build a better body, then how much weight you're benching is arbitrary. Yeah, I know a lot of people like to see their bench numbers climb, but I'm the type that pays more attention to how my body is changing in the mirror.

I don't get a lot out of strict barbell benches. Back in the day I focused on barbell bench a lot, and my bench weight rose a lot, but my chest never developed like I wanted it to. Then I switched to doing mostly dumbbell work and dips, and my chest looks way better nowadays. Way better. And I can't bench as much on the barbell because I don't do it anymore. Sometimes people ask me what I can bench, or what my 1RM is, and I always answer, I don't know, I don't care. lol

I guess you gotta find what works best for you.

Something that helped me was switching to DB instead of BB, and doing chest with back.
    •   

4. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Type O Hero
    If your goal is to build a better body, then how much weight you're benching is arbitrary. Yeah, I know a lot of people like to see their bench numbers climb, but I'm the type that pays more attention to how my body is changing in the mirror.

I don't get a lot out of strict barbell benches. Back in the day I focused on barbell bench a lot, and my bench weight rose a lot, but my chest never developed like I wanted it to. Then I switched to doing mostly dumbbell work and dips, and my chest looks way better nowadays. Way better. And I can't bench as much on the barbell because I don't do it anymore. Sometimes people ask me what I can bench, or what my 1RM is, and I always answer, I don't know, I don't care. lol

Something that helped me was switching to DB instead of BB, and doing chest with back.
    Yeah the main goal is to build a better physique. So I will do many DBs and throw in a occasional BB exercise. Yeah I don't really care either what my max is either bro. Haven't maxed out in over a year. I wish I could do BB more but I have a way better mind muscle connection in my right pec then left. When I do dips I only feel **** I'm my right really. Sucks
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  213 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Type O Hero View Post

I do the same exact thing when asked that. I haven't flat benched since my shoulder surgery in 09' except for some light 135.

Sent from my iPhone
    Remember why you started.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

With barbell benches I find that my shoulders are overly involved. I can't get around it. I guess it's just the way I'm built. The only thing I get out of barbell benches is that I get better at doing barbell bench press. And I'm in it for the looks (from girls) and health benefits, not to see my bench press numbers go up.

Before I go into this, let it be known that different things work for different people. As I said above, I get nothing out of barbell bench presses, but depending on your build, you may find barbell bench presses the best exercise for developing chest muscles. Anyway...

My chest started looking better after I started working chest with back. This is generally what my routine has looked like for a while, after warm ups and stretching... (Where you see A.) and B.), and so on, denotes that it's part of a superset).

A.) Pull-ups (I usually add 5lbs by belt)..... 3 x max
    B.) Weighted Chest Dips..... 3 x 8-10

Underhanded Barbell Rows..... 4 x 10-12, 8-10, 6-8, 4-6

C.) Incline DB Flyes..... 3 x 8-10
    D.) Incline DB Presses..... 3 x 10, 8, 6

T-Bar Rows..... 3 x 10, 8, 6
    (Lower Back Exercise, such as Good Mornings or Hyperextensions.... Usually 3 sets, 10-15ish reps)
    DB Pullovers..... 3 x 15-20

I change it up some, but more or less it's about like that. The gym I've been working in kind of sucks, so I'm fairly limited in what I can do at the moment. But this works pretty well. I may remove (Lower Back Exercise) and replace with deadlifts once my conditioning gets back up (I'm coming back from an extended break).

Technique > How much weight you're using
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

couldn't have said it better
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  191 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

With barbell benches I find that my shoulders are overly involved. I can't get around it. I guess it's just the way I'm built. The only thing I get out of barbell benches is that I get better at doing barbell bench press. And I'm in it for the looks (from girls) and health benefits, not to see my bench press numbers go up.

Before I go into this, let it be known that different things work for different people. As I said above, I get nothing out of barbell bench presses, but depending on your build, you may find barbell bench presses the best exercise for developing chest muscles. Anyway...

My chest started looking better after I started working chest with back. This is generally what my routine has looked like for a while, after warm ups and stretching... (Where you see A.) and B.), and so on, denotes that it's part of a superset).

A.) Pull-ups (I usually add 5lbs by belt)..... 3 x max
    B.) Weighted Chest Dips..... 3 x 8-10

Underhanded Barbell Rows..... 4 x 10-12, 8-10, 6-8, 4-6

C.) Incline DB Flyes..... 3 x 8-10
    D.) Incline DB Presses..... 3 x 10, 8, 6

T-Bar Rows..... 3 x 10, 8, 6
    (Lower Back Exercise, such as Good Mornings or Hyperextensions.... Usually 3 sets, 10-15ish reps)
    DB Pullovers..... 3 x 15-20

I change it up some, but more or less it's about like that. The gym I've been working in kind of sucks, so I'm fairly limited in what I can do at the moment. But this works pretty well. I may remove (Lower Back Exercise) and replace with deadlifts once my conditioning gets back up (I'm coming back from an extended break).

Technique > How much weight you're using
    Nice routine and thanks for sharing. My bench has been suffering somewhat. I had shoulder surgery a while back, so I'm very careful when it comes to benching. I don't go for 1RM or anything of that sort for bench. I'm in the same boat as looking better, rather than solely seeing how much I can lift.

I've been thinking about going with heavy DB's, since I cannot quite get my shoulders set right as I press. I'm in the same boat as you, where I feel I'm using too much front delt and not enough pecs.

Gonna borrow some of your workout for my chest routine today.

Similar Forum Threads

1. I saw a guy tear his pec in the gym
    By Longdog in forum General Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-20-2004, 05:57 PM
  2. Discomfort in pec on m-dien/m4ohn cycle
    By max silver in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-15-2004, 04:29 PM
  3. Injured Pec
    By Boss_K in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4