Best workouts to cut fat??

ninja636

ninja636

Awards
Looking to cut fat but not weight, current weight is 185 at 14% BF I'd like to loose some fat and eventually build more muscle, more cardio? Less weight more reps?

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
Diet will be the most important factor, so make sure it's on point. If you need advice, you can ask for it or post-in/ read through the nutrition forum.

As for workouts, you could start cutting down your rest intervals to 30-45 seconds and maybe incorporate some circuit work to keep your heart rate up throughout the workout. Also, make sure you're doing your cardio after your workouts and keeping it intense. Personally, I don't believe there's much of a place for LISS if you're trying to hold on to your muscle while losing fat (naturally). Experiment with interval training - short and sweet, but it should be hard as ****.

Get after it!

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
why dont you just build more muscle and let that burn the fat off instead of trying to mess with your insulin sensitivity.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Pick one goal, (i.e. build mass OR lose BF%) rather than trying to do both, coz I guarantee you'll just end up disapointed.

blueice

Awards
Diet is very important here but as you wish, I will share my routine to cut fat:

This is high intensity intervals that will help you win the battle of bulge

1. Build up to six intervals doing either the track or treadmill workout. Then move on to the anaerobic capacity workout.
2. To prevent overtraining, don't do more than two to three sessions per week
3. Take three to for weeks to build up a cardio base before doing intervals.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
HIIT

PrimiFit

Awards
Interval sessions with short, high intense work phases and rest intervals that are twice or thrice as long as the work intervals to ensure the intensity in the work phases. Sorry for the long sentence.

Revend

Awards
In my opinion cardio exercises are best for fat burning. Running is the best exercise that burns fat and calories and also provides many health benefits.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
according to charles poliquin:
http://goo.gl/jtpdl

and a few items from some notes i took years ago.

• Explosive lifting burns more calories than slow lifting. Squats – explosive movement burns 12% more than slow squats
    • Eu J Appli Physol 99: 257, 2007

• HIIT builds fitness faster. 30 min @ 60% vs 10x4 @ 90% w/ 2 min rest. Aerobic capacity increased by 13%, fat burning capacity up by 36%, and key aerobic enzymes increased by 25%
    • Journal Applied Physilogy, 102: 1439-1447, 2007

• High intensity weight training boosts blood sugar control.
      • Strength training increases fat metabolism by stimulating beta-adrenic receptors – cell structures that make adrenaline and increase metabolism and fat use.
      • Improves blood sugar metabolism
      • Univ. of Montana, led by Andy Miller showed that high intensity/low volume weight training promoted better blood sugar regulation than low intensity/high volume work.
    • Journal Strength Conditioning Research, 21: 330-335, 2007

Luke_PNI

Luke_PNI

Awards
Diet is most crucial here as well as hard training and consistency

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
As always, you've gotten great advice here on this board. Getting your diet in check is numero uno. Adding cardio 2nd. As far as training, you can add super sets, shorten rest periods, do drop sets, 4X sets (4 sets of 10-12 reps with only 3 second rest), and some other techniques. These things can increase growth hormone output acutely which will help to burn fat. YOu could also add a fat burner. There are many on the market that are quite effective.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
The workout in itself wouldnt change, circuit training keeps the heart rate elevated or basic supersetting works well.

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
As always, you've gotten great advice here on this board. Getting your diet in check is numero uno. Adding cardio 2nd. As far as training, you can add super sets, shorten rest periods, do drop sets, 4X sets (4 sets of 10-12 reps with only 3 second rest), and some other techniques. These things can increase growth hormone output acutely which will help to burn fat. YOu could also add a fat burner. There are many on the market that are quite effective.
Agree 100%