Isolating Pecs

BLABD

Awards
For the last 3 weeks I've been trying like hard to isolate my chest on my chest workouts. When benching I focus on the bar hitting my nipples and going straight up, fighting the urge to go heavier and move the bar up to utilize my front delts. Same with my incline bench, incline dumbells etc.

My problem is, my chest isn't responding well, and I still feel it in my front delts. I tried switching my shoulder day to the day before chest, to try and murder my front delt so it's less likely to hit when I'm working my chest, but that didn't help too much. Any ideas? I've had multiple people check my form and they say it's fine, last month I taped myself working out and reviewed it, and it looks fine.

I've tried "pinching" the bar when I'm lifting, and flexing my chest out when lifting... still no dice. Thanks!

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
Do you roll your shoulders back towards the bench and stick out your chest ?

BLABD

Awards
On the lighter ones I try to yea. But towards the end of my heavy set I tend to go flat back on the bench.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
On the lighter ones I try to yea. But towards the end of my heavy set I tend to go flat back on the bench.
There's your problem. Also, doing shoulders the day before chest is a terrible idea as it limits your strength and stability under the bar.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
db or machine flys are probably the most isolation you are going to get

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There's your problem. Also, doing shoulders the day before chest is a terrible idea as it limits your strength and stability under the bar.
^This.
Face pulls, band pull aparts, and pendelay style rows will be your new best friend toward achieving a big chest.

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
Take a look at Gironda neck press, and Gironda dips.
Both are great chest emphasis movements.

Peace

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Retract the scapula when pressing and, it'll improve the chest:shoulder ratio. Bear in mind that the movement at the shoulders for the bench press will always utilise the anterior deltoid, but dependant on other factors, you can limit how much of a role it has.

EBroser

EBroser

Awards
Excerpt from my IRONMAN article entitled "Positioning for Pecs!"

Here’s how to start properly POSITIONING FOR PECS:

1-lay down on the bench and set your feet firmly on the floor
2-arch your lower back slightly
3-raise your ribcage up high
4-squeeze your scapulae together
5-pull your shoulders downward and push them into the bench

*These same principles apply to dips, crossovers, and seated press and flye machines as well, with the exception of rule one (although the feet should always firmly be planted).

Now you are in position to achieve maximum pectoral recruitment with far less delt and triceps interference. The key, however, is to keep your body in this position throughout the set. It is not enough to start this way and then slowly break back into bad habits as the set progresses. You must learn to “lock”your body in this position and stay there!

Trust me when I tell you that if you are not used to performing your chest exercises this manner, it will feel awfully strange at first, and you will probably not be able to use the same weights as you normally do. However, with time, you will get used to POSITIONING FOR PECS, and it will become second nature, like driving a car. Also, you will eventually work up to the same poundage as you were using previously. The greatest reward will be the new growth you will quickly begin to see in your chest!