Am i over doing it at the gym ?

thenewkid4011

Awards
Im wondering if i have been over doing it at the gym. I don't think i have since i always feel fine (like I'm not hurting myself) but i wanna make sure I'm not over doing it and losing muscle to cortisol lol (as dumb as that might sound)

Day 1- Bicep and Back
- i do 5 different bicep exercises at 3 sets each with 10 reps
- i so 4 different back exercises at 3 sets each with 10 reps

Day 2- Shoulders and legs
- i do 5 different shoulder exercises at 3 sets each with 10 reps
- i do 4 different leg exercises at 3 sets each with 10 reps

Day 3- Chest and Triceps
- i do 5 different chest exercises at 3 sets each with 10 reps
- i do 4 different tricep exercises at 3 sets each with 10 reps

Day 4- Cardio and Abs
( sometimes i do abs after the main workouts but not always )

So just wondering if I'm doing to much. Be brutally honest and let me know if I'm making any mistakes. Thanks

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im wondering if i have been over doing it at the gym. I don't think i have since i always feel fine (like I'm not hurting myself) but i wanna make sure I'm not over doing it and losing muscle to cortisol lol (as dumb as that might sound)

Day 1- Bicep and Back

Day 3- Chest and Triceps

Day 4- Cardio and Abs

So just wondering if I'm doing to much. Be brutally honest and let me know if I'm making any mistakes. Thanks
If you're over training you'll know it. If you're always tired, trouble sleeping, not progressing with weights and reps, etc.. then you're over training. Otherwise you're just over thinking.

As far as your workouts being as effective as they could/should be, that may be a different story

thenewkid4011

Awards
If you're over training you'll know it. If you're always tired, trouble sleeping, not progressing with weights and reps, etc.. then you're over training. Otherwise you're just over thinking.

As far as your workouts being as effective as they could/should be, that may be a different story
I have been progressing with weights a lot since i started going but like you said i think I'm just over thinking it

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

Day 1- Bicep and Back

Day 3- Chest and Triceps

Day 4- Cardio and Abs

I see lots of 'problems' with this. You do more work on your biceps than on your back? Why? Biceps have 2 heads (hence 'bi') while the back has many muscles which play a much greater role. Please enlighten me as to why you feel like your biceps (a small muscle group) needs more emphasis than your back (which is fkn huge).

Yo do more for biceps than you do for legs. Seriously? Cmon man..

And why do you fear cortisol so much? You realise you need cortisol during a workout, right?

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I see lots of 'problems' with this. You do more work on your biceps than on your back? Why? Biceps have 2 heads (hence 'bi') while the back has many muscles which play a much greater role. Please enlighten me as to why you feel like your biceps (a small muscle group) needs more emphasis than your back (which is fkn huge).

And why do you fear cortisol so much? You realise you need cortisol during a workout, right?
You raise good points. I did over look the back/bicep split, I thought it was back with the higher volume. That could def be cut back bc of the indirect work bis receive from back

However, I don't need much volume for my legs bc they grow "easily" in fact I should have cut back, a few years back & I think that's partially to blame for my torn hamstring but that's an entirely different conversation.

I guess, in was assuming the OP may have taken this into consideration. Perhaps they have not.

thenewkid4011

Awards

Idk why i do a lot on bicep more then back and legs, just kinda how i started off doing everything and sorta got used to it that way. I don't "feel" like it needs more emphasis it was just a routine i started with.

Im adding more to legs.

As for the cortisol part i didn't know you needed it. I always herd it was bad cuz it eats away at the muscle. I don't fear it i just don't wanna lose muscle cuz of it.

thenewkid4011

Awards
How many thing should i be doing for back tho ? I have 3 for lats, 1 for lower back and 1 for rotator cuff but im still working on it. ( added to back thats why theres five instead of four from post )

thenewkid4011

Awards
Ignore how it sent twice that was my mistake

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Yeah cortisol during exercise= good, excessive after= bad. Heres a link for ya :) http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/216494-stop-fearing-cortisol.html

Yeah I get that most people 'overdo' certain muscle groups but remember that when you row, you also hit your biceps. Your arms really don't need that much specific attention. If they don't grow then try splitting the routine into 2 days rather than having high volume on one day.

I need a tonne of volume for my legs haha its sucks. I split my leg day into 2 just to up the frequency to try stimulate them to grow.

Wasn't trying to come off as rude, so I apologize if thats the way it sounded.

thenewkid4011

Awards
Yeah cortisol during exercise= good, excessive after= bad. Heres a link for ya :)

Yeah I get that most people 'overdo' certain muscle groups but remember that when you row, you also hit your biceps. Your arms really don't need that much specific attention. If they don't grow then try splitting the routine into 2 days rather than having high volume on one day.

I need a tonne of volume for my legs haha its sucks. I split my leg day into 2 just to up the frequency to try stimulate them to grow.

Wasn't trying to come off as rude, so I apologize if thats the way it sounded.
Sorry meant to answer earlier but was busy all day. Thank you for link ill check it out and you werent being rude you were being helpful and i owe you a thanks because like i said i never really put much thought into it just routine from how i started lol thanks again man

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Higher frequency with less volume in each session is the way to go, IME.