Question on adding weight

Unstoppable89

Unstoppable89

Awards
So just a short question. Let's say I do 5 sets of 10 reps each hand with 12Kg. And each 3 weeks I want to add weight to my sets so I can stimulate muscle growth. How much weight would be enough to motivate my muscles to grow more and in the same time, will I be able to handle it?

I know if let's say I jump from 12Kg to 20Kg in 3 weeks I would not be able to do the workout. How much should I add each 3 weeks? 1kg, more - less?

I read that muscles get adjusted very fast to the weight and intensity of the program and in order to keep them growing-gaining you need to put more load - weight on them so that they can grow and handle the new stress.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
only add as much as you can handle and keep form. For instance if you can curl 12kg for 10 reps x 4 sets each arm, increase that to 13kg. Your reps might go down to 10-9-8-8 for the 4 sets. Keep that weight until you're back up to 4x10 and then increase the weight again. For larger muscles (like bench press or squats) you could increase more like 2-3kg each time.

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
as long as you're adding weight it doesn't really matter how much you add IMO. Progression is progression, plain and simple

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don't know about an exact weight answer as that varies due to experience and what exercise.

I would just say 2 n 1/2lb weights are good people(not sure with kg with doing conversions).

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't know about an exact weight answer as that varies due to experience and what exercise.

I would just say 2 n 1/2lb weights are good people(not sure with kg with doing conversions).

1kg=2.2lbs

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
1kg=2.2lbs
Thanks man lol

My point was nothing wrong with moving up in small increments if need be. I assure you I am not a herp derp all the time.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks man lol

My point was nothing wrong with moving up in small increments if need be. I assure you I am not a herp derp all the time.

Haha no problem man!