Help with squats!

Marc403

Marc403

Awards
Hey I have a question regarding squats. I can't physically do them and I want to know if anyone knows of anything I can do to not only be able to do them, but have proper form as well.. My problem is I can't physically bend into the proper squat position. Basically when I try to do squats, I can bend a little bit but then I cant go down any farther. If I force myself into a squat (without any weight or anything) I have to hold on to something, my knees point outward, and my feet pretty much touch. I don't know if its from having flat feet or if its because Im not flexible enough or if it could be anything else. I know how important squats are and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot!

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
a video would be more helpful. but ths sounds more like you dont know how to squat rather than physically unable. your toes shouldnt even be close to touching, and your knees shouldnt be flaring out to the sides. its like you got it completely backwards

Marc403

Marc403

Awards
I understand the way to squat I just can't bend that way. I was using the example as a way to describe the only way I can bend down. I haven't tried to squat in the way I described I just was tryin to get across the way my legs have to r positioned to physically squat down. I'll try and have someone take a pic to show how far I can bend

napalm

napalm

Awards
Can you sit on a toilet? If so, you can squat.

Box squats are your friend here, find the article 'squatting from head to toe' by Dave Tate

Read it, learn it, love it...

Marc403

Marc403

Awards
Wow thanks alot man I just checked out that article. It makes alot of sense. Def will be using that to get my squats right. Thanks again!

Marc403

Marc403

Awards
Ok so I tried goin through the squat motions when I got home today and this is my issue. When I go to squat down, my feet are forced to move my toes out. If I try to keep them straight I feel alot of stress on my knees hips and ankles. The only way i can squat down is if lean onto the front of my toes and me heels are off the ground this puts my feet really close together and my knees pointed way out Idk if this is just a major flexibility issue I have or something more severe that I may need to see a doctor about. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Watch the "you think you can squat" YouTube series. It is linked in the exercise science form, thread name "Proper Techniques."

Try pushing your knees out to the side as he describes as opposed to just bending them. Use a box squat too. It really helps to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

napalm

napalm

Awards
Ok so I tried goin through the squat motions when I got home today and this is my issue. When I go to squat down, my feet are forced to move my toes out. If I try to keep them straight I feel alot of stress on my knees hips and ankles. The only way i can squat down is if lean onto the front of my toes and me heels are off the ground this puts my feet really close together and my knees pointed way out Idk if this is just a major flexibility issue I have or something more severe that I may need to see a doctor about. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Did you squat to a box?

Toes pointed out around 30 degrees or so is fine.

I'm guessing some very weak hamstrings and glutes...

Post a vid...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How wide is your stance? As already said, your feet should not be close to touching each other. It really just sounds like you have no idea on how to properly squat. I am flat footed as well, so that is not the reason that you are having difficulty. From your description, it appears that you are breaking at the knee and not engaging your hips into the movement.

JoeySon

JoeySon

Banned
Awards
I'm still learning proper form too man, the most difficult main lift to learn IMO. As stated, a video would really help these guys help you