Building the Inner Thigh? - AnabolicMinds.com

Building the Inner Thigh?

Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.

Building the Inner Thigh?

My 17 year old daughter has started training with me. I need some help with excercises that target the inner thigh.

My wife and daughter both have exceptionally strong legs genetically. My legs are decent, I'm 5-10" 230 lbs and they both can match me in any leg exercise. Yes, I know I left myself wide open. But the point is, they have strong legs.

Anyhow, here's the issue: my daughter has had some knee problems throughout high school sports. Nothing major, really just soreness and maybe a twist or two over the years. The doctor told her that her outer thigh/quads are disproportionately large and that effects her knees. At least it affects their alignment so to speak.

So he says not to do squats or leg extensions. His only recommendations are thigh abductions or leg sweeps/swings. Doesn't add up to much of a leg program in my opinion.

The only idea I have is wide stance squats with toes pointed out. But will this continue to target the outer thigh just as much. Essentially keeping them in disproportion?

Any other exercise a or help would be greatly appreciated.

Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

The squat doesn't target a particular part of the quad and you're on the right track when it comes to emphasizing a wide stance squat, which will bring greater emphasis to the hams and glutes. What I would do is take out most direct quad work outside of BW walking lunges and Bulgarian split squats and replace it with more hamstring and glute lifts such as SLDL, good mornings, glute bridges, etc.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by El Hefe View Post
    My 17 year old daughter has started training with me. I need some help with excercises that target the inner thigh.

My wife and daughter both have exceptionally strong legs genetically. My legs are decent, I'm 5-10" 230 lbs and they both can match me in any leg exercise. Yes, I know I left myself wide open. But the point is, they have strong legs.

Anyhow, here's the issue: my daughter has had some knee problems throughout high school sports. Nothing major, really just soreness and maybe a twist or two over the years. The doctor told her that her outer thigh/quads are disproportionately large and that effects her knees. At least it affects their alignment so to speak.

So he says not to do squats or leg extensions. His only recommendations are thigh abductions or leg sweeps/swings. Doesn't add up to much of a leg program in my opinion.

The only idea I have is wide stance squats with toes pointed out. But will this continue to target the outer thigh just as much. Essentially keeping them in disproportion?

Any other exercise a or help would be greatly appreciated.

You should actually be focusing on increasing mobility in the inner thigh, particularly in the adductors (or groin muscles). Knee problems are common in females for a few reasons, 1 is genetics and the width of the hips (called the Q angle). The rest are usually a result of poor movement patterns and muscular imbalances and postural deviations....all of which can be fixed.

Basically, the knee caves in when running, jumping, etc. (Knock kneed). This puts it in a very vulnerable position. The outter quad, adductors, and hip flexors are all over active/tight in comparison to the vastus medialis oblique (inner quad, tear drop), hip abductors, and medial hamstrings.

First things first, you need to strengthen the hip abductors, here is a great exercise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ_yUc940G0

Next, working the VMO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On8tOtWBFvw

Finally, strengthen the hamstrings by doing good mornings and rumanian deadlifts with the feet pointing out. No more leg curls (if you were doing them previously).

For stretches and mobility work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SWacmsLZNQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0LcivaGDqw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEbvVwuBnzg

That should get you guys started.

Br
    •   

Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.

Should she also continue the squat or sumo squat with the toes pointed out?
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I don't see a reason why not to continue with them. Just make sure she is locking her legs out at the top and doing plenty of stretching and mobility exercises for the adductors. You can even include hurdle mobility drills (stepping over and bending beneath) to loosen the hips as part of the warm up.

You might also consider adding in supine bridges and hip thrusts for additional glute work.
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by El Hefe
    Should she also continue the squat or sumo squat with the toes pointed out?
    Wide squats use more of the abducter muscles which will help tightin up those muscles that ladies have problems, make sure to go deep on these. The depth will help activate more muscle fibers
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.

Thanks for all the help.

Similar Forum Threads

1. building the perfect beast , have the book ?
    By sicosico in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 11-15-2006, 09:05 PM
  2. Building the Perfect Wideguy
    By wideguy in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-25-2006, 10:52 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-07-2006, 12:26 PM
  4. building the perfect beast/CME I
    By snakebyte05 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 13