205x3 Back Squat Form Check Video

Creatine

Awards
Link is in post #4, thanks uvawahoowa

Watch in 480p if you can. The video is a little skippy for me, not sure why.

I would appreciate any critique on my unrack, walkout, & squat form from you guys.

uvawahoowa

Awards
Link will be in the second post if I can get someone to post it for me.

Watch in 480p if you can. The video is a little skippy for me, not sure why.

I would appreciate any critique on my unrack, walkout, & squat form from you guys.

If you can post the link either post in this thread or PM me and I can PM you the link (hope this isn't against the rules)
Pm me I'll post it

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
subbed...you can just send the last part of the URL also

Creatine

Awards
Edit: Sorry for the hassle, thanks for posting it man. Much appreciated

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVNMMJnotnQ

someone gave me that tip and it's helped me out a lot. it kept my knees from drifting too far in front if my feet. there's no need to take multiple steps back either. just take one step back with each foot into your stance. that's my .02, I'm still trying to master it myself

Creatine

Awards
someone gave me that tip and it's helped me out a lot. it kept my knees from drifting too far in front if my feet. there's no need to take multiple steps back either. just take one step back with each foot into your stance. that's my .02, I'm still trying to master it myself
Thanks for the advice. I usually take 3 steps back but for some reason took 5 in the video. Will try squatting with more wide of a stance next time and stay concious of my lower back and see how it works out

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just watched it again and mine was far worse than yours haha

quik_tongue

Awards
No expert but this is from Rippetoe. Depending on how wide you are standing, you can lean forward SLIGHTLY. The reasoning for this is you will stretch your hamstring so it is easier to get out of the hole. I used to squat ATG but now I take a wide powerlifting stance and dip below parallel. At the bottom, hamstrings coiled and I drive out.

Also, another tip that worked wonders for me is the cue "spread the floor". Do this from the moment you plant your feet...try and "push" your feet away from each other. If you do it (you can try it without a bar to get the feeling), your outer hips should feel tight. If you do this coming out of the hole, you will engage your glutes alot more. Should feel really powerful coming out. The entire motion I repeat "spread the floor, knees out" in my head to cue myself.

Doesn't look like your knees buckle which is good. Only other thing is start the squat by pushing your hips back just a bit more like in the video sean posted.

These are just tips that helped me. It still looks like a solid squat!

Creatine

Awards
No expert but this is from Rippetoe. Depending on how wide you are standing, you can lean forward SLIGHTLY. The reasoning for this is you will stretch your hamstring so it is easier to get out of the hole. I used to squat ATG but now I take a wide powerlifting stance and dip below parallel. At the bottom, hamstrings coiled and I drive out.

Also, another tip that worked wonders for me is the cue "spread the floor". Do this from the moment you plant your feet...try and "push" your feet away from each other. If you do it (you can try it without a bar to get the feeling), your outer hips should feel tight. If you do this coming out of the hole, you will engage your glutes alot more. Should feel really powerful coming out. The entire motion I repeat "spread the floor, knees out" in my head to cue myself.

Doesn't look like your knees buckle which is good. Only other thing is start the squat by pushing your hips back just a bit more like in the video sean posted.

These are just tips that helped me. It still looks like a solid squat!
Thanks for the feedback. I went a little wider and tried spreading the floor when i squatted today and I definitely felt more powerful out of the hole and more involvement with my posterior chain/outer hips. I'll work on setting my hips before I squat too

Much appreciated!

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
looks good to me, maybe a better belt. but other then that its good.

1 way to get more reps out is not to stop in between each rep, only stop when you need to rest and try to squeeze another rep out.

Creatine

Awards
looks good to me, maybe a better belt. but other then that its good.

1 way to get more reps out is not to stop in between each rep, only stop when you need to rest and try to squeeze another rep out.
Thanks for the advice. I hear most people dont like tapered belts. I can still get ~10 lbs from it but some time in my lifting career in going to be getting a straight belt.

And yeah I usually don't stop on higher reps but heavy triples fatigue me a lot more. I'll try to work on my bar speed