Workouts

stove

stove

Awards
I started lifting heavy about a year ago and I began with an isolation workout, each muscle group having its own day, and I noticed gains but someone at the gym told me I should do a compound workout, a b a b workout, does anyone think this would be better for me?

stove

stove

Awards
The a b a b workout is . A- squats 5x5 bench 5x5 rows 5x5...B- squats5x5 overheads-5x5 deadlifts-1x5. I add 5lb to everything each week and add 10lb to my Deadlift.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
The a b a b workout is . A- squats 5x5 bench 5x5 rows 5x5...B- squats5x5 overheads-5x5 deadlifts-1x5. I add 5lb to everything each week and add 10lb to my Deadlift.
Compounds should always be the focus of training, but that template will not take you very far as strength is not linear like that and you will stagnate do to a lack of variety.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
Compounds should always be the focus of training, but that template will not take you very far as strength is not linear like that and you will stagnate do to a lack of variety.
No, Rodja, he's gonna put 520 lbs on his deadlift this year!

Seriously, though, stove, you should look into a more structured program. If you're looking for a good 5x5 progression you could look into Madcows 5x5. There's an Excell spreadsheet linked below into which you can put your current stats and it spits out a weekly breakdown of all the weights to be lifted. I recently finished it as a 10 week strength building routine and I like what it did for me. Pretty taxing, though, if you're not used to going super-heavy consistently.

www.wackyhq.com/madcow5x5/geocities/5x5_Program/5x5_intermediate_v0.3.zip