metabolic training / crossfit

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Now,

I know a lot of people *hate* crossfit, but the reason for this thread is specific gyloclytic and endurance training for cricket. Phosphagen is sometimes needed for say a quick sprint but its mostly glycolytic and endurance.

Looking for a bit of advice on a program to use or some workouts to help.
Was doing funtional hypertrophy but getting bored, switch it up for a fresh start and beat this fat loss plateau.

Please don't flame me for crossfit, but would like a discussion to help me out.

This would be done at a conventional gym (fitness first)

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
One of the biggest complaints against crossfit is its pack of balance between the three planes. While you can (not really but it happens anyway) argue It's importance in sport, horizontal pressing and pulling is hugely important for glenohumeral health and crossfit does not incorporate much, if any, of this type of work. I have also not seen much in terms of rotational work which, again, is of great importance in many sports that require running, throwing and sports where your body position changes as you run. In addition, most people who perform crossfit simply do not have an adequate strength base to be performing plyometrics. You may, obviously, but just in general.

Crossfit does have redeeming qualities, obviously, but those are a couple quick problems to get things rolling here

jerrysiii

jerrysiii

Awards
  • Established
It seems to produce a lot of injuries. This is probably due to the reasons tigerdb2 explained above. I did cross fit for about year (2008-2009). My overall conditioning definitely improved, but I did not achieve any gains in strength or hypertrophy. A combination of the ring dips and rope climbing seemed to really bother my shoulders. For sport specific training you may want to research the type of training those coaches prescribe -- which likely differs on and off season.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cricket is predominantly glycolytic with some aerobic contribution. BUT, the CRITICAL energy system is phosphagen. Swinging a bat, a short sprint, etc. All those high power movements are what determines a game.

As for crossfit (with modification) if your goal is to improve metabolic conditioning. But, think about the mode of cricket. Its a lot of running. Its not burpeeing, etc. If you want to improve that conditioning, then you need to work on running efficiency.

Next, if you neglect training for power and developing the PC system, you are not going to be successful when explosive movements are required, or when you have to move at top speed for 10-15 seconds.

I think you need to analyze your goals. Do you want to lean out dramatically and be an endurance champion, or do you want to excel at cricket??

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Cricket is predominantly glycolytic with some aerobic contribution. BUT, the CRITICAL energy system is phosphagen. Swinging a bat, a short sprint, etc. All those high power movements are what determines a game.

As for crossfit (with modification) if your goal is to improve metabolic conditioning. But, think about the mode of cricket. Its a lot of running. Its not burpeeing, etc. If you want to improve that conditioning, then you need to work on running efficiency.

Next, if you neglect training for power and developing the PC system, you are not going to be successful when explosive movements are required, or when you have to move at top speed for 10-15 seconds.

I think you need to analyze your goals. Do you want to lean out dramatically and be an endurance champion, or do you want to excel at cricket??
Cricket.
But being leaner is a goal too

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
The best way to improve in a sport, is to replicate the type of training and intensity you are working at. Also, mimic the environment in which you will play.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
The best way to improve in a sport, is to replicate the type of training and intensity you are working at. Also, mimic the environment in which you will play.
Cricket.
I did burpee sprints to finish tonight. 10 facing all directions and sprint 15m every 20seconds.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Separate your met con work from your PC work. Do 2 sessions per week if short sprints, plyimetrics, change of directions, etc. with Long recovery periods. Then 2 days work on conditioning. PC before lifting, lift before conditioning.