Improving press strength

jerrysiii

jerrysiii

Awards
  • Established
I'd like to bring up my press strength (standing shoulder press). Over time my bench, squat, and deadlift have improved, however my press is lagging. I'm currently doing a slightly modified 5/3/1 and I'm about 5 cycles in.

Mon: Press, Tues: Squat, Wed: Weighted chins with 5/3/1 parameters, Th: Bench, Sat: Deadlft

For assistance I do 8x3 with the last weight on the bar and then add 8 to 12 sets of higher rep accessory exercises.

Some ideas I'm considering:

A) Reduce to 4 days of training: Take Wed as a rest day. Do some body weight chins on Mon in place of my current direct shoulder assistance work.
B) Reduce to 3 days of training: Remove weighted chins and bench (say it aint't so!). Mon: Press (front), Wed: Squat, Fri: Press (BTN) ... Mon: Press (front), Wed: Deadlift, Fri: Press (BTN) ... repeat

I'm open to ideas.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Lower to 4 days a week. What part of the press gives you difficulty: off the chest or the lockout?

jerrysiii

jerrysiii

Awards
  • Established
Seems to be about in the middle. If I had to choose, I'd say the lower half is where the problem lies.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Any vids showing form/technique?

Ever try them banded?

jerrysiii

jerrysiii

Awards
  • Established
Any vids showing form/technique?

Ever try them banded?
This week I'm pressing on Th. I'll try to take some video. I haven't tried them banded. I have a real nice Legend Fitness cage and bands so I could give that a try also.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This week I'm pressing on Th. I'll try to take some video. I haven't tried them banded. I have a real nice Legend Fitness cage and bands so I could give that a try also.
We will do them banded in lieu of regular some weeks. Sometimes we hang weight off the ends with bands which makes for an interesting movement as well.

My training partner swears by high rep DB strict overhead as another movement to help bring up your BB SOHP.

Definitely post a video. I find a lot of times if someone isn't getting tight enough under the bar, they become weak off the chest.