Need more rest time with the becnh press, should I rest 3 minutes

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I am stalling at the third set on bench press. My first two sets keep going up at the 225 weight, but at the 3rd set I can't get past 4 reps with proper form. I am resting 2 minutes between sets with a rep range of 6-10, should I just try resting for 3 minutes?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
all my other lifts are progressing at 3 sets

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
I didnt know people actually timed their sets. Rest however long you need if it will help progression

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
If you're goal is 30-36 reps then you should lessen the load that way you can get 10-12 on each set.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
If you're goal is 30-36 reps then you should lessen the load that way you can get 10-12 on each set.
I was thinking of lower to 6-8 atleast for awhile, considering I've been using a rep range 8-12 for a year and recently on bench I can go up on weight but I can't seem to get past the 8-9 rep range. The 8-12 range was working great until about 2 months ago.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
My Primary goal is strength, size is a secondary goal, however it is almost as important as strength. Basically I want to add 5 inches to my chest and 2 1/2-3 inches to my arms. Legs can stay the size they are. My legs are huge but they still need to get leaner. I have 27 inch thighs. If I can get the size I want at a smaller rep range on compound lifts (6-8) with more rest (3-4 minutes) and a higher rep range on isolation exercises like curls and lateral raises(8-10 or 8-12) with a 1 1/2-2 minutes rest I was thinking about doing that. I am still in the process of dropping more bodyfat though, so I won't be able to add calories for another 2 months or so.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Start periodizing your training. Stagnation generally ensues after 3-4 weeks of doing the exact same thing.

Try something like this

Week Sets x reps
1 3 x 10-12
2 3 x 6-8
3 4 x 3-4
4 1 x 2

Change the ancillary exercises as you see fit, and even the major movements too (barbell to dumbbell, squat to front squat, dead lift to RDL or good morning, etc.) and start again.

Br